PDA

View Full Version : Stick!!! Thank you BernieP!

ElizaLeahy
23rd January 2009, 07:39 PM
Thank you BernieP for all the sticks of wood you sent me! I turned the first hair stick out of it today. I still have lots of practice to do!

It's amazing how big a knob can look on the lathe while it's turning, and when you stop it turning it's rather small! I'll have to work at this!

This is a beautiful piece of campher laural - thank you so much Bernie! I'm so happy with all the sticks!!! :)

http://www.elizasart.com/hairsticks/wood/campher1.jpg

ElizaLeahy
23rd January 2009, 07:42 PM
A close up you probably didn't want, but I'm practicing photography too... lol

http://www.elizasart.com/hairsticks/wood/campher1a.jpg

tea lady
23rd January 2009, 08:08 PM
:cool:

BernieP
23rd January 2009, 10:30 PM
G'Day Eliza

Great effort, look forward to seeing more, especially some of the 100 year old+ red cedar. Any time you need some more offcuts let me know.

Cheers
Bernie

ElizaLeahy
23rd January 2009, 11:03 PM
G'Day Eliza

Great effort, look forward to seeing more, especially some of the 100 year old+ red cedar. Any time you need some more offcuts let me know.

Cheers
Bernie

I started with a piece of the red - didn't know it was that old! It split right down the middle within a few turns. Any suggestions on how I can be more careful, or would it have just been that bit?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th January 2009, 03:25 AM
Possibly too much pressure applied by the tailstock.

You want just enough to hold the piece securely, not so much that it acts like a wedge and splits the piece or causes it to bend...

If the piece is securely held but is easily stopped from spinning then the best cure is to give the drive-spur a better grip, and not just screwing in the tailstock a bit more. :wink:

artme
24th January 2009, 06:56 AM
Congrats Eliza! Nice stick.:):):)

ElizaLeahy
24th January 2009, 08:10 AM
Possibly too much pressure applied by the tailstock.

You want just enough to hold the piece securely, not so much that it acts like a wedge and splits the piece or causes it to bend...

If the piece is securely held but is easily stopped from spinning then the best cure is to give the drive-spur a better grip, and not just screwing in the tailstock a bit more. :wink:

That sounds right. As the sticks were so wonderfully long I put on my chuck to hold it. First time I turned with the chuck, so I guess I wasn't so careful with the other end! doh!

Thanks!!! :)

BernieP
24th January 2009, 09:25 AM
G'Day Eliza

Its all a part of the learning curve, you won't have a better person looking over your shoulder than Skew, as he helped me tremendously on the forum here when I first started. Its only practice offcuts:2tsup:

Cheers
Bernie

NeilS
24th January 2009, 01:52 PM
Eliza - I find Jacob chucks (http://www.carbatec.com.au/woodturning-tools/woodworking-drill-chucks-accessories/drill-chucks-w-morse-tapers) are very good for holding small diameter spindle work. Then the tailstock only needs to be applied with just enough pressure to prevent/reduce any lateral movement at that end.

Pin jaws do the same thing, but I find that Jacobs chucks have a firmer grip over a shorter length.

The Jacobs also allows good visibility and skew access right up to the tip of the jaws and feel safer than spur drives when working close to the drive.

Neil

Hickory
24th January 2009, 02:18 PM
Although they are rare except in OLD tools, I have seen MT Cup centers for the Tailstock, where the piont is removeable. By doing that you have only a cup and the end is captured rather than split by the point. Even a cup center will hold better than the pointy thing which is a round wedge that will split weak work. Sonmetimes the higher tech Live center has to set aside and let old tech cup dead centers do their job.

ElizaLeahy
24th January 2009, 06:26 PM
Eliza - I find Jacob chucks (http://www.carbatec.com.au/woodturning-tools/woodworking-drill-chucks-accessories/drill-chucks-w-morse-tapers) are very good for holding small diameter spindle work. Then the tailstock only needs to be applied with just enough pressure to prevent/reduce any lateral movement at that end.

Pin jaws do the same thing, but I find that Jacobs chucks have a firmer grip over a shorter length.

The Jacobs also allows good visibility and skew access right up to the tip of the jaws and feel safer than spur drives when working close to the drive.

Neil

Looks like something useful to have - and I very much like the price.

rsser
26th January 2009, 03:49 PM
Although they are rare except in OLD tools, I have seen MT Cup centers for the Tailstock, where the piont is removeable. By doing that you have only a cup and the end is captured rather than split by the point. Even a cup center will hold better than the pointy thing which is a round wedge that will split weak work. Sonmetimes the higher tech Live center has to set aside and let old tech cup dead centers do their job.

They're still around Hickory. Woodfast make one IIRC, and the Nova Live Centre system includes one that fits into a socket on the live centre.

new_guy90
26th January 2009, 09:37 PM
They're still around Hickory. Woodfast make one IIRC, and the Nova Live Centre system includes one that fits into a socket on the live centre.

you can buy some all in one cup centers that have the removable pin and have a bearing and a cone center ......there hollow so you can send an auger through to hollow out lamp stands for anyone who didn't know

Eliza congrats on your work it looks very good you seem to be getting the hang of things very quickly .........i really like campha it turns very nicely ........i never asked you but why the hair sticks? do you want to sell them? oh and how are you finishing them?

it all looks great keep it up:2tsup:

Patrick

ElizaLeahy
26th January 2009, 09:49 PM
i never asked you but why the hair sticks? do you want to sell them? oh and how are you finishing them?

it all looks great keep it up:2tsup:

Patrick

Hi Patrick

I use to have very long hair - sit on it length. Then when I turned 40 my hair started to go curly and I cut it all off really short. Now I'm growing it again and I've joined a forum - like this one but for long hair. I was surprised at how many people bought hair sticks - and not just A hairstick - but LOTS. They are hair stick junkies ;)

I should have known, I'm one myself.

So I decided that I'd have a go at making them. If I get good enough I'll sell them.

I also use to love making bowls. I have discovered that I have forgotten everything I ever knew, however!!!