PDA

View Full Version : Segmented lidded bowl

Ad de Crom
24th January 2009, 02:20 AM
After 6 weeks of a kind of a siberian winter with temps of -10C till -17C, brrrrr, I was this week able to work in my shop again. I'm working on a big segmented lidded bowl with a biggest outside diam. of 280mm, and with a total height of 270mm.
I made this segmented lidded bowl of very very nice smelling pine, the whole shop smells very nice of this wood when I enter my shop. We call this wood ''grenenhout'', simular with yellow pine for you folks.
I finished this afternoon the segmented bowl, so fress of the lathe. Did not sanding, just smoothing the outside and inside with a multifacenet scraper, and with a handful woodships.
I'm used to build up the whole segmented construction direct on the lathe, from off the base. So ring by ring, and taking care of well centered rings, turning them one after the other to the right thickness in according with the design drawing.
A lot of WIP pictures and the design drawing makes this all clear.
Next week I start with the segmented lid and the finial.
Then I show to you all the completed segmented lidded bowl.
Best regards. Ad (and thanks for looking)

Hardenfast
24th January 2009, 05:00 AM
Very nice finish Ad, considering you haven't sanded it yet. Nice build up too, very careful construction. I like it a lot!

Wayne

artme
24th January 2009, 06:53 AM
Very Nice indeed Ad!:U:U:2tsup:

Obviously took some careful planning and lots of patience with the setting up.

Tell me, how does the cold effect the glue?

Sawdust Maker
24th January 2009, 08:06 AM
nice work
great joins
just gotta try this one day
can't wait to see the finished article

ElizaLeahy
24th January 2009, 08:13 AM
I love the swirls on some of the segments. It's a lovlely shape.

Ed Reiss
24th January 2009, 01:13 PM
So far, so good Ad...looking forward to seeing the finished product:2tsup:

Hang in there my friend, spring is coming!!!:U

Sawdust Maker
24th January 2009, 01:26 PM
After 6 weeks of a kind of a siberian winter with temps of -10C till -17C, brrrrr, I was this week able to work in my shop again.
Best regards. Ad (and thanks for looking)

It's 36 degrees outside here at the moment - which means hotter in the shed :o
So I'm inside where it's about 24 ish. I had plans to have some quality shed time today, damn. Spose I could plan a segmented bowl :wink:

joe greiner
24th January 2009, 10:54 PM
Off to a great start, Ad. And lots of attention to detail in the grain alignments. Nice to see the knots included too, as "design" features.

Cheers,
Joe

hughie
25th January 2009, 12:05 AM
Ad, Commiserations, its about 40 at my place today[ 104 F for those up and over ]

Hmm darn fine effort to date, look forward to the final pics. :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
25th January 2009, 02:25 AM
Very Nice indeed Ad!:U:U:2tsup:

Obviously took some careful planning and lots of patience with the setting up.

Tell me, how does the cold effect the glue?

Hi Arthur, when the temperature drops below 5C, it's not possible to do glue work.
That's why it tooks so long, till last week. Still it's wintertime here in Holland.
But now the heater in my outside shop is able to keep up with the temperature outside. So a very happy thing for me. Thank you for your interest and comment.
All the best. Ad

Ad de Crom
25th January 2009, 02:35 AM
Hi folks, many thanks for your nice comments.
I'm green of envy on all your Aussies, all working in nice warm shops.
Keep yourself cool with a nice icecold drink :D
Ad

Gil Jones
25th January 2009, 12:21 PM
Hi Ad,
Well done segmented piece, and a nicely designed form too:2tsup:

Ed Reiss
25th January 2009, 01:10 PM
It's 36 degrees outside here at the moment - which means hotter in the shed :o
So I'm inside where it's about 24 ish. I had plans to have some quality shed time today, damn. Spose I could plan a segmented bowl :wink:

Hey SM...don't you blokes have air conditioning:?:?

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2009, 07:44 PM
Ed
Yep
In the house. Haven't convinced SWMBO that it's a necessity of life to have it in the shed.
But I'm ever hopeful that the chancellor of the exchequer will deem it a worthy expense for the shed, Maybe I'll just sneak a unit in when I'm retired!

powderpost
27th January 2009, 10:26 PM
Looking good Ad,
Segmenting is a load of fun and can be very demanding. You have done well so far, all the joints line up vertically. Looking forward to the finished article, the design is very nice too.
Jim

Ad de Crom
31st January 2009, 01:21 AM
Finished this morning in a cold shop, yes it's still winter time here in Holland, the segmented lid and finial for the segmented lidded bowl. The color of the lid is lighter than the bowl, but after a while it gets the same color, just a question of time. I made already most of the segments for the bowl in november last year.
The finial is made of a leftover piece red/brown meranti, the total height including the finial is 270mm. The largest diameter 280mm.
Still I have to bring on three layers of transparent lacquer, normally I'm doing this in my shop, but concerning the cold weather I'll do that in my attic upstairs. A nice warm place. Did all the smoothing with in the first place my multifacenet scraper, but after a consult with my lady penfriend Pam Reilly, I decided that this was not enough, so a further carefully sanding was needed. Glad I did, she was so right.:2tsup:
Had a lot of fun with this segmented lidded bowl.
Anyway thanks for looking.

Ad

Ed Reiss
31st January 2009, 01:48 AM
Very nice Ad:2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
31st January 2009, 01:57 AM
Thanks Ed for looking :)
Ad

joe greiner
31st January 2009, 11:13 PM
Just right, Ad. Nice work on the inside of the lid, too.:2tsup:

Cheers,
Joe

Ad de Crom
7th February 2009, 06:10 AM
After bringing up three layers of blanc transparent lacquer all the work on this lidded bowl is done.
Destination, the livingroom of my son Kees and his wife Margreet in Breda.
Was a fun project :)
Thanks for looking.
Ad

wheelinround
7th February 2009, 07:58 AM
Ad very nicely done be a while before I get to that stage segmenting bowls etc

It looks brilliant :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ray

Ad de Crom
7th February 2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks Ray, oh it's just a matter of time you know before you're able again to enter your workshop. Till that time, relax, and try to enjoy the good life.
Take care.
Ad

wheelinround
7th February 2009, 09:02 AM
Itching already Ad with Monday's weather temp drop to sensible 25 C deg you never know.:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
7th February 2009, 09:21 AM
That is one beautiful pot! Your son and his wife will be thrilled! :)

Ed Reiss
7th February 2009, 01:11 PM
...worked out really well Ad:2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
7th February 2009, 08:57 PM
Itching already Ad with Monday's weather temp drop to sensible 25 C deg you never know.:2tsup:

Wish it was here 25C, for several weeks on a row light frost at nighttime, and 3 or 4C at daytime, so frustrating wet and cold weather all the time.
One point of light, it's carnival time, so fun tonight, good for my old joints :D
Ad