PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and my Clocks

cmmullins
24th January 2009, 04:03 AM
G'day Mates!

I would like to take this opprotunity to introduce myself.

I have been a woodworker most of my life but was unable to 'get into it' like I am now due to making a living for the wife and kids.

I have built a lot of different kinds of projects, so I built all four kids the clock in FWW #171 and #172 as a Christmas gift a few years ago. Needless to say they were a hit! I even got a hug from the sons in law!:B

They were made of black cherry, then stained with General Finishes warm cherry and sealed it with hand rubbed varnish.

My wife painted the faces with oil.

I wanted a clock for myself or maybe to sell so I could buy more material for more clocks. I used black walnut this time since I had some on hand.

I incorporated fluted columns on the waist corners and a deep bevel on the lower base terminated at the bottom with a "Lamb's Tounge". There are Ogee Bracket feet on the bottom.

It has burl veneer on the lower panel and on the door surrounded with quarter sawn veneer bandings around each. The hood door is also veneered with the quarter sawn veneer.

I used a gooseneck moulding on the hood with sides above the side moulding much like an English clock I have pictures of. Under the gooseneck mouldings I utilized fretwork of my own design. It's basically "C" and "S" scrolls. Here a couple of pictures. Again the face was hand painted by my wife.
94716 94717

I plan on starting another clock soon. I have been bitten by the clock bug.

G'day!

Charlie Mullins

masoth
24th January 2009, 07:09 AM
G'day Charlie. Welcome to the best 'little' site on the web. Your pics show beautiful work and I reckon you're lucky to have a wife :2tsup: who joins in your hobby. More posts froom you will be also wecome.

soth

Hobbyhorse
24th January 2009, 11:48 AM
Charlie, just love your work....thanks for showing them and welcome to the forum.

Rhys

ravlord13
24th January 2009, 02:02 PM
G'Day Charlie,
Nice work :2tsup:,
Those dials are a Killer, If your wife EVER decided to do contract work with the Dial painting I would be very interested in purchasing a Floral one.
What material did you use for the dials and what type of movements did you use?
I have had my next clock in the planning stage it seems for ever but when I get ready to start I get another order for jewel boxes and they pay the bills.
O'h and welcome aboard:U
Andrew

artme
24th January 2009, 03:19 PM
G'day and welcome Charlie and wife! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Glad you've clocked on!:D:D:p

Gorgeous clocks and brilliant faces!:2tsup::2tsup::U:U:U

joe greiner
24th January 2009, 11:12 PM
... I have been bitten by the clock bug.

Charlie Mullins

G'day, Charlie. You're a master of understatement.:wink::D

Cheers,
Joe

cmmullins
25th January 2009, 04:29 AM
G'Day all!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I do love taking large pieces of wood, cutting into smaller pieces and rearranging them.

I have been doing a lot of study the last few years of the 1700's and 1800's clocks and have developed a sincere love for them.

Andrew asked about my wife doing contract work and that is what she hopes to do in the near future. She's been taking lots of classes to improve her natural talents. It's mostly a technique thing.

As far as what movements I have used, they were Hermle 451, not an expensive movement but they certainly cost enough, for sure. The faces I cut out were steel and were some where around 20 to 24 gauge but I'm thinking of using thicker. I can cut faces for any movement and any material. The major problem is the standoffs to fit the movement, if a person were going to use a movement mounted to the face rather than on the case. Both have been done in the past with the movement mounting the most common. Also a false plate could be fabricated and used to mount to almost any movement but the wind holes would have to be drilled by the clock case builder.

I would love to concentrate on making clocks but I don't have a market developed and economics dictate making other things for sale so I can afford to purchase materials for my own projects, since I live on a retarded---er--ah --a RETIREMENT income!:doh:

Oh yes! You can blame Lonesomebob for me jumping in here!

Well, I'll be back later if I have anything worth saying.

Thanks again Mates!

Charlie Mullins

Swifty
25th January 2009, 07:43 AM
Beautiful work Charlie, certainly put a "smile on my dial" :B
and welcome to the forums!

Chipman
25th January 2009, 07:56 AM
Nice Job Charlie:2tsup:

Building clocks is certainly is addictive:D

Chipman

Ruddy