PDA

View Full Version : Bugga

masoth
24th January 2009, 07:48 AM
Well, it's goodbye to play time for a few months for me. I'm to have surgery (mid February) to correct what's called a trigger-thumb on the right hand with approximately six weeks recovery, followed by right eye cataract removal in April and left eye in May. It's good fun being decrepit. At least I can claim an excuse for the errors in my past work.:D. I'm not really pleased because I've said I'd produce a bookcase for my grand-daughter's 5th birthday in March - still when she does get it the workmanship should be better, eh?:roll:

soth

Lignin
24th January 2009, 08:51 AM
IKEA????:no::no:
Just joking!!.
How do you manage ANY woodwork with bilateral cataracts??
I lost most of the sight in one eye a few years ago, and my depth perception went with it.I can no longer catch a ball, kick a ball or, more frustratingly, line a chisel up to a scribe line with any confidence.:doh::doh:
I assume you will be getting either contact lenses or transplants.Another learning curve.:B:B
The advances in surgery make most of your ops almost routine, so don't worry about them, just get used to "The New You".:2tsup::2tsup:
Good luck:U:U

tea lady
24th January 2009, 10:40 AM
Trigger thumb? :?

You should be a new man soon.:2tsup: Good luck.

masoth
24th January 2009, 12:00 PM
Yes anne-maria, I was amused with the name too. It's a tendon problem at the base of the thumb causing the knuckle to lock and a degree of pain. I can't turn a door knob, or worse, securely hold a can of beer.
Lignin, I'm getting the latest implants.

soth

Mulgabill
24th January 2009, 12:49 PM
All the best soth!:2tsup:
I hope it all goes well and you will soon be very "hands-on".
It does give you some time to reflect and do some planning ( shed-wise of course):;

artme
24th January 2009, 03:44 PM
All the best Soth!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Life can't be a whole lot of fun at the moment.

echnidna
24th January 2009, 08:37 PM
you won't know yourself with both cataracts done.

Tex B
24th January 2009, 09:35 PM
My parents and mother in law have had cataract surgery. They all can't believe how much better their vision is after the surgery, and wish they had done it sooner. I'm sure yours will go as well.

Although with any surgery, there is always some trepidation in advance.

Modern medicine is pretty remarkable, and I hope you're opening doors and beers and building your grand daughter's bookcase in no time. Our thoughts are with you.

Tex

Buzza
24th January 2009, 10:31 PM
Good luck Masoth. :)

Surgery today is so much better, you need not worry about it, and think about getting back to the workshop. :2tsup:

masoth
25th January 2009, 06:40 AM
you won't know yourself with both cataracts done.

Yes Bob. I've heard the cataract repair causes facial wrinkles:oo:

Thanks everyone for the supportive posts, I'm very grateful.

soth

Chipman
25th January 2009, 08:01 AM
Sorry Masoth.... you seem to be in for quite a medical journey. Hope it all goes well.

PS I am told there are many ways to hold a can of that golden stuff... even straws! I guess it depends how keen you are. Saw a Doco where a guy used his feet:o

Cheers,

Chipman

masoth
25th January 2009, 08:14 AM
Chipman, yes Mate. With these three procedures I will have clocked-up eight operations in the last four years - I'm a fast healer and do not worry about going under the knife - what will be, will be, is my medical motto. I did say in another thread that surgeons have used more tools on me than I'd managed to use in the shed.:U

soth

Rocker
25th January 2009, 10:02 AM
Soth,

I had cataracts done in both eyes last year. I am delighted with the results. I used to be short-sighted, but now my distance vision is excellent, and I only require glasses for reading. However, I found it such a pain continuously having to search for my reading glasses that I opted to have progressive lenses in glasses that I wear all the time; this is much more satisfactory, and I recommend that you do the same. The operation and its aftermath is painless, and you can see out of the eye by the following day - you need to wear an eye-patch overnight; but you have to wait six weeks for your eye to settle down before you can be tested for new glasses.

By the way, I can beat your score for operations - I had seven, including open-heart surgery, between December 2007 and August 2008.

Rocker

masoth
25th January 2009, 11:46 AM
Soth,

By the way, I can beat your score for operations - I had seven, including open-heart surgery, between December 2007 and August 2008.

Rocker
Were all your procedures performed at the same hospital? Where I am, the nursing staff are visiting me just in time to scratch my back before I know I'm itchy.:;

soth

Rocker
25th January 2009, 11:49 AM
Soth,

No; four different hospitals:)

Rocker

wheelinround
1st February 2009, 12:44 PM
Keep up the good spirits Masoth you'll soon be back to it I am sure producing better than before :2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
1st February 2009, 10:31 PM
Hope it all goes well for you Masoth.
Having improved eyesight will work wonders for you.:2tsup:

Allan

prozac
2nd February 2009, 10:31 AM
All the best soth.

munruben
4th February 2009, 11:51 AM
Good luck with your coming surgery Soth. Hope all goes well for you and you are back as good as new before you know it.

masoth
4th February 2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone - much appreciative for the well wishes.

soth

masoth
6th March 2009, 11:16 AM
Surgery to my right thumb was delayed to last Wednesday, and all apparently went well but try moving a mouse, accurately, with your left hand and a million other easy little things. For such a small cut I've got a few yards (metres) of bandage and gause wrapped around - enough to have my hand look like it's in a boxing glove.:roll::D

soth