PDA

View Full Version : One of my larger projects

cmmullins
25th January 2009, 05:41 AM
Here is a project I built for a friend.

It is a cabinet that contains a computer, a double width filing drawer, storage, and display cabinet. It is built with cherry plywood for the case sides and top with solid cherry for the mouldings and table top on the front extension. (The computer screen is not installed here)

The keyboard and mouse pad slides out on a false drawer.

The cabinet is built in four sections. The center section, two smaller sections and last the front table extension with cabriole legs.
The finished cabinet is displayed here. For the finish I applied Min-wax Mahogany stain with lacquer finish. The doors on the smaller outer portions have glass in them as do the shelves. There is a dimmer and lights in the top of all sections. The customer was very pleased which makes me happy!

All hinges and pulls are high quality brass. This adds a feel of quality to the project . The drawers were made of soft maple and the drawer extension slides are the under-mount type that are self retracting with soft close feature. Another feeling of quality.

It was a very pleasing project (except for moving it--it was VERY HEAVY).

G'Day,

Charlie Mullins

artme
25th January 2009, 07:46 AM
That is awonderful piece of work Charlie!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Smething old, something new. And beautifully finished.

BobR
25th January 2009, 08:37 AM
Magnificient! I love it. :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
25th January 2009, 11:09 AM
WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a striking and useful, desk and unit! Oh so Beautiful:2tsup:

Any more like it?

Cheers
Wendy

Tex B
25th January 2009, 11:32 AM
Great work, Charlie. And a superb finish :2tsup:

No wonder the customer was pleased. No matter what you charged him, he got a bargain.

Tex

Marginata
25th January 2009, 11:33 AM
G'day Charlie, beautiful piece of furniture! How many hours do you think went into the build?

masoth
25th January 2009, 11:58 AM
"Wonderful; Magnificent; Striking; Beautiful; Great; and Superb" - I can't add any words to the work standard you've achieved so I simply repeat them and say I wish I could do half as well. :2tsup:

soth

Harry72
25th January 2009, 06:25 PM
Very nice!

Al B
25th January 2009, 08:42 PM
:oo: WOW :oo: Excellent work Charlie now that is a nice piece of furniture. :2tsup: Lucky Friend!! well done mate.

Superbunny
25th January 2009, 09:55 PM
What they said.:D:D

SB

WoodJunky
25th January 2009, 10:03 PM
"Wonderful; Magnificent; Striking; Beautiful; Great; and Superb" - I can't add any words to the work standard you've achieved so I simply repeat them and say I wish I could do half as well.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/smilies/smilie%20signs/whs0be.gif

That Is One Lucky Friend!! well done Charlie.

orraloon
26th January 2009, 01:36 PM
By far the best computer desk I have seen.:2tsup:
Regards
John

Scally
26th January 2009, 05:40 PM
Very classy cabinet Charlie.

You must have put a great deal of thought into the design.

Do you have a pic of the cherry plywood so I can see the plies?
Is it good to work with?

cmmullins
27th January 2009, 01:46 AM
G'Day to all.

The design was made after a detail talk with the customer. I wrote down what they wanted, measured the room and made some sketches to illustrate what I had in mind. They gave some more input and I went from there with their blessing and money.:U

The total cabinet is eight feet wide and seven feet high. The lower base where the computer is located is 22 inches deep and 27 inches high,(desk top height).

The 3/4 inch cherry ply has a yellow poplar core of five plys and then veneers applied to both sides. And I might add the veneers were VERY THIN, almost like paper as most are today. If it gets any thinner it will be almost impossible to sand it.:~

I chose plywood to make it more stable dimensionally, since there will be varying amounts of heat in the computer section although it is vented. It also makes the project a little cheaper but not by much, at least with local prices. The plywood is also a labor saver since I didn't have all those pieces to edge join.

I was asked how many hours it took to build. I ain't got a clue!. Really I think it took between 75 to 90 hours to build. Maybe more, but not much. I don't work very fast, too detail oriented.

Thanks again folks.

G'Day,

Charlie Mullins

rod1949
27th January 2009, 03:05 PM
Thats absolutley mickeymouse:2tsup: