PDA

View Full Version : Frothy fill

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2009, 07:32 PM
Was given a cedar blank by my step-father
It has a great knot hole in side
I've turned the outside to basic size with a Ci1 (until I had to send it on :~) Anyway I finally got around to filling in the hole.
Thought I'd use 5 minute epoxy with coffee grounds to do the job
At the last minute I thought I'd throw in some filings from the key cutter at the local hardware store.
Mixed it all up and proceeded to fill the hole.Going well
Then I noticed a puff of smoke(?) :o Maybe steam (?) and the mix was frothing and bubbling better than the witches cauldron in macbeth.
I watched it in bewilderment :tears:::
It set very spongy and useless for what I wanted. I dug it out with a chisel, screwdriver and pigstabber.
Any idea what I did wrong? My guess is something in the filings :think:

weisyboy
25th January 2009, 07:41 PM
when we were fiberglassing our boat we had half an icecream container left over so i tipped it out teh window. Now outside this window is long grass and a heap of crap all over place. about 30 seconds after a great cloud of smoke filled the shed. the fiberglass was bubeling and seconds latter it burst into flames. i chucked a bucket of watter on it and it got worse. I ended up getting the new fire extinguisher that was to go in teh boat when finished and put it out.

now all leftover fiberglass resing goes in a hole in teh ground round the back.]

aparently im not the only one that has had this problem.

Ed Reiss
26th January 2009, 04:44 AM
Definitely a chemical reaction with the metal filings:doh:

........hmmmmmmm, good name for a bowl, "Blazing Glory":U

Texian
26th January 2009, 10:15 AM
Maybe trying to fill too large a volume with wrong product, intended for smaller volume applications. The resin exotherms as it sets, and yours generated more heat than could be removed by conduction. Next time try the 30 minute variety, or even some slower type.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th January 2009, 05:21 PM
Any idea what I did wrong? My guess is something in the filings :think:

Let me guess... the beans had been used to brew a cappuccino? :D

Sawdust Maker
26th January 2009, 09:42 PM
Let me guess... the beans had been used to brew a cappuccino? :D

Nah
a flat white

Oh f, now I see what you are saying :doh: very good :rolleyes: