PDA

View Full Version : 2009 International Pen swap draw & Pictures

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Toomm99
24th February 2009, 10:17 AM
I sent my pen that I made for Dermot today to Scotland UK. Hope you like it.

glenn_mcculloug
24th February 2009, 11:40 AM
I havent heard from my swap partner. I got his pen a few weeks ago and sent his the day after. I havent heard from him and his site is not accessible. It is www.penscanada.com (http://www.penscanada.com). Can someone try it and see if I am the only one unable to contact him? I have sent him emails and they dont go through either.?!
Glenn

watsrags
24th February 2009, 12:23 PM
Address Not Found

www.penscanada.com (http://www.penscanada.com) could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of

"www.mozilla.org")

* Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration may have expired.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check your network connection and DNS server settings.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

PenTurner
24th February 2009, 01:02 PM
:):) Received mine from Don (NICK), beautifully knotted grain and wonderful finish. I'm walking on air:D:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Thanks Don, Amos:)

DJ’s Timber
24th February 2009, 01:29 PM
I havent heard from my swap partner. I got his pen a few weeks ago and sent his the day after. I havent heard from him and his site is not accessible. It is www.penscanada.com (http://www.penscanada.com). Can someone try it and see if I am the only one unable to contact him? I have sent him emails and they dont go through either.?!
Glenn

Address Not Found

www.penscanada.com (http://www.penscanada.com) could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of

"www.mozilla.org")

* Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration may have expired.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check your network connection and DNS server settings.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

Worked for me at the time of making this post :2tsup:

glenn_mcculloug
24th February 2009, 01:39 PM
Now the website comes up, but I cant send an email either through my server or through the web site. I'll keep trying, thanks for the help.
Glenn

Simomatra
24th February 2009, 01:39 PM
Glenn his web site worked for me and I have left two emails for him in different spots I have also answered your PM.

I have asked Mike to contact us both

glenn_mcculloug
24th February 2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks...

Don Nicholas
24th February 2009, 03:40 PM
:):) Received mine from Don (NICK), beautifully knotted grain and wonderful finish. I'm walking on air:D:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Thanks Don, Amos:)

Amos,
Thank you for your kind words, The wood is Amboyna Burl
And a BIG thanks to Sam for heading up this swap and all the work it was:):2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
24th February 2009, 08:41 PM
Today I contributed to the profits of Aust Post and sent packages to
a) Brian Isabelle of Ontario; and
b) rhossack of Washington (state)
I sincerely hope they like them

Ozartisan
25th February 2009, 09:52 AM
My package just arrived from Bear (Virginia Beach).
What a great extended Christmas I am having!! :2tsup:
A beaut Navigator in Maple Burl (CA finish).
Teriffic assortment of blanks not normally found in the land of Oz....
Buckeye Burl, Mesquite, Cocobolo, Blackash Burl, Black Palm, Pecan and one amazing un-named piece I am sure will look fantastic!
I especially appreciate the addition of a coin from Bears last USN command -
Thanks Bear

Here is a pic of the package.

DJ’s Timber
25th February 2009, 10:39 AM
Nice one :2tsup:

The unidentified one looks like Cocobolo

Ozartisan
25th February 2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks DJ
There is another Cocobolo blank in the mix, but the unidentified one is completely different colour (quite red) & seems denser.
Hoping for an answer from Bear when he wakes up in the good ole USA....

NewLondon88
25th February 2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks DJ
There is another Cocobolo blank in the mix, but the unidentified one is completely different colour (quite red) & seems denser.

.. still looks like cocobolo! :D

I just cut up a lot of cocobolo blanks recently, some are brown/gold, some are brown/red,
some are brown/tan, some are red/orange .. the colors can be all over the place depending
on where in the tree they came from. Density can vary, too.
The funny thing is that when I saw the black palm, it looked just like my handwriting on it.
But all caps in black Sharpie probably looks the same in anyone's hand.. :p

edblysard
25th February 2009, 01:20 PM
I think the two blanks one either end are cocobola...like New London said, it can vary greatly, from many shades of brown to an orange/brown almost black...and density and grain can vary too.

Simomatra
25th February 2009, 01:27 PM
It definitely looks like cocobola can we see a picture just of the blank in question?

Ozartisan
25th February 2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys
I bow to your superior knowlege in these things.
It is great that you can get such variety from one timber. I just LOVE variety! (In MOST things.....)

Simomatra
25th February 2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys
I bow to your superior knowlege in these things.
It is great that you can get such variety from one timber. I just LOVE variety! (In MOST things.....)

Variety is the spice of life :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

funkychicken
25th February 2009, 10:00 PM
The pen and blanks arrived from Jeff:2tsup: For a beginner he's done a brilliant job. I was expecting a slimline but instead got an American with Ambrosia Maple and a top notch finish:2tsup: The blanks were pretty good too

Thanks Jeff, another few days and you'll be skiting about your new pen

No pics yet

bdar
25th February 2009, 10:21 PM
I received my parcel from Roy today, looks like the box had been kicked around quarantine for a bit, but luckily everything inside was secure and good. Man I feel like I am lacking in skill levels when I saw the pen Roy has sent. I hope to gain the talent one day for laminated work like Roy has. Also some fine blanks were sent and the angle cut bamboo is amazing. I feel they will look great against Black Ti. Mine is in the air to both partners which makes me happy. Tested tonight, I can hold a chisel with my left hand now. Both Roy's and Chris' pen were made with one hand. I apologize for the delay and I hope you like the results. This is the amazing pen Roy sent me. I am 99.99% sure it is Mesquite and it has been cut and laminated 9 times and the pen is a Click Sierra. Already for work tomorrow so I can show and tell :)

Ozartisan
26th February 2009, 07:53 AM
Just to confirm the talent on these boards, Bear emailed me to say the un-named blank is indeed Cocobolo! :D

Penpal
26th February 2009, 10:43 AM
Received from Gimp my pen swap pen and timber.

The Pen is Black Walnut.

The timber is Left to right Bubinga/Teak/African Mahogany/Purple Heart/Padouk/African Blackwood.

Arrived this morning thanks Terry.

Penpal
26th February 2009, 10:50 AM
Came morning also this time from Cigarman.

The pen is Zebrano.

The timbers are Zebrano/Cedar/Burma Teak/Cherry.

Arrived safely thanks Tom.

Touchwood
26th February 2009, 11:08 PM
Hey Penpal
you have had a good morning - nice pens and range of timbers!! Better than Christmas isn't it when wood comes on the mail :):)

JD

PenTurner
26th February 2009, 11:30 PM
They are two beautiful pens Peter, Jenny nailed it, "better than Christmas" , Amos:)

edblysard
27th February 2009, 12:20 AM
Bdar,
I have seen some of Roy's other work...lets just say that those are not one day projects!
You should see whats in his pen pouch...I would bet there is several hundred hours work of work in there.

I received my parcel from Roy today, looks like the box had been kicked around quarantine for a bit, but luckily everything inside was secure and good. Man I feel like I am lacking in skill levels when I saw the pen Roy has sent. I hope to gain the talent one day for laminated work like Roy has. Also some fine blanks were sent and the angle cut bamboo is amazing. I feel they will look great against Black Ti. Mine is in the air to both partners which makes me happy. Tested tonight, I can hold a chisel with my left hand now. Both Roy's and Chris' pen were made with one hand. I apologize for the delay and I hope you like the results. This is the amazing pen Roy sent me. I am 99.99% sure it is Mesquite and it has been cut and laminated 9 times and the pen is a Click Sierra. Already for work tomorrow so I can show and tell :)

Nicholai
27th February 2009, 03:32 AM
Hey Rippa, my new friend:

SWMBO just returned from town and picked up our mail. Your parcel arrived. WHOOOOEEE! :U Thank You, :2tsup:Thank You. :2tsup:WHAT a beautiful piece of art ! And the blanks were special too. I cannot believe that they were destined for the fire. They are going to be turned into some very special pens. I will post pictures later in the week...just as soon as I can get to my camera gear and transfer my pictures. I'm really thrilled.:roll:

Nick.:)

Simomatra
27th February 2009, 07:17 AM
It is god to see everyone enjoying the swap and meeting new friends which was my entire purpose for running the event.

Where will we go next year I will start about the end of November again so keep it in mind.

edblysard
27th February 2009, 08:54 AM
How about a list of pen kits that are NOT available over there too?
Just in case some of us have access to them and feel like sweeting the deal...:rolleyes:

Simomatra
27th February 2009, 09:24 AM
Just in case some of us have access to them and feel like sweeting the deal...:rolleyes:

For starters Ed

The majestic in any form

BoomerangInfo
27th February 2009, 10:38 AM

That's not too hard if you don;t mind getting a list of pens that may be the same kit, just different names. Bit harder to weed out the name changes, or same name for different kits.

But I'll try and start compiling a list and see how it goes.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
27th February 2009, 11:23 AM
OK I'm going to start a new thread on the kits

Russell

Toomm99
27th February 2009, 01:25 PM
I received this nice present yesterday on my birthday from Celt40 in Scotland. A great looking gold Sierra dressed in Spalted Elm Burr. It has 20 coats of CA and looks beautiful. Also a number of blanks grown locally in Ayrshire, South West Scotland that look wonderful. Thanks Dermot
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=97644&stc=1&d=1235701335

edblysard
27th February 2009, 02:45 PM
The piece of spalted elm directly under the pen looks sweet!

Penpal
27th February 2009, 04:17 PM
This is the pen I sent to Terry with six superb Aussie Burl blanks all new to him.

Terry may send a pic of the Pen Blanks.

The Pen is figured Tassie Blackwood.

Regards Peter.:2tsup:

Penpal
27th February 2009, 04:24 PM
Pen Cross Cut Conkerberry. and six superb Aussie burl etc timber Pen Blanks.

Tom may photograph the pen blanks.

Regards Peter.:2tsup:

Jimmy_MacTavish
27th February 2009, 11:44 PM
I am absolutely wrapped in the pens that Bob Burt from Canada sent me. My favourite is the work and finish that went into the Black Titanium Cigar using Maple Burl. I also love the beautiful simplicity of the Gold Titanium Elegant Beauty using Walnut Burl.

I must also say a big thank you for the half dozen blanks he sent me. I am finding it very difficult to choose between them. Though I must say the Birds Eye Maple and Box Elder Burl would certainly be near the top.

Thanks again Bob! :2tsup:

BoomerangInfo
28th February 2009, 11:25 AM
Well my swap pen arrived yesterday from Ron (Woodwrite). I'm very happy with my unique gifts.

The pen is made froma Major League baseball bat, and the blanks include some Cocobolo, Marble wood (not sure what it is, but it looks good), wood from a bowling pin, a piece from a Jack Daniels barrel and the most prestigious, a piece from the Shipwreck Iberia.

Thanks very much Ron, I really appreciate the uniqueness of what you've sent.

Russell.

WoodWrite
28th February 2009, 12:26 PM
Well my swap pen arrived yesterday from Ron (Woodwrite)..

Quite amazing that you received the package, I have been checking the tracking number for a week and the post office says I haven't mailed it yet. :o

Gotta love the USPS!!!:2tsup:
Ron

NewLondon88
28th February 2009, 02:02 PM
The pen is made froma Major League baseball bat, and the blanks include some Cocobolo, Marble wood (not sure what it is, but it looks good), wood from a bowling pin, a piece from a Jack Daniels barrel and the most prestigious, a piece from the Shipwreck Iberia.

Thanks very much Ron, I really appreciate the uniqueness of what you've sent.

Russell.

Who's baseball bat? I mean .. if it's Barry Bonds, let it go. :p

The marblewood is nice. I sent a 5x5 piece to someone in Canada, he cut it into
rings, stacked them and turned a bowl! It looked sharp!

Looks like you got some great goodies..

mick61
1st March 2009, 11:11 PM
Hey Ed Blysard Have you got my package yet.
Mick:D

edblysard
2nd March 2009, 07:27 AM
Not yet...but keep in mind we are 15 hours or so behind you time wise...its Sunday here, no postal service till tomorrow.
Trust me, when it gets here it will be posted with photos....

DJ’s Timber
2nd March 2009, 10:29 PM
Just a quick note that I made a visit home today to check on my place and also to collect my mail and there was a parcel from joernundsimba with a beautiful Baron rollerball and a nice selection of timber, will take some pictures and post them up tomorrow.

Will also hopefully get back in to doing some turning this week to do Ernst's (joernundsimba) pen and have also been in contact with my other turning partner from TPS and he also appreciates that due to the fires in my area, we have agreed not to put a time limit on how long it takes but I have told him that I will endeavour to get them done in the next week or two :2tsup: as I have relocated most of my main gear to my parent's garage till the fire danger passes.

shazzkim
2nd March 2009, 10:32 PM
Recieved my pen and blanks from Hans today. Absolutely fantastic. A beautiful segmented sierra with blue acrylic and some light colored wood with dark laminates. In the package was several blanks that I had never seen before aswell.
Holly,Cherry, Cherry burl, Red cedar, Dokota Burl ( pressed sunflower shells), A flame acrylic and a peice of thick wall water pipe.
Can't thank you enough Hans. I feel a little sorry I couldn't match you with what I sent.
And thanks for Sam organizing the swap.
Kim
PS I think Hans will post a photo

celt40
2nd March 2009, 11:42 PM
Tom I received your parcel this morning fantastic pen in OAK ROOT with CA finish. And some blanks. Tom sent me a segmented blank that he makes, as i am interested in having a go myself.
I will post picture soon when my camera dries out!!!!!! Long story.

Tom forget message i have seen that pen landed safe and sound your end.

Fantastic quality of pens made in this swap as always proud to be one of the pack!!!!!:B

Dermot.

Mike in Nanaimo
3rd March 2009, 02:13 AM
Here is the pen I sent to Glenn. It is a Baron Fountain Pen. This one is made with a striking Stabilized Box Elder Burl, and the Chrome with the black accents. BOW CA finish.http://www.penscanada.com/Ebay%20Grapics/Baron%20Chrome%20Box%20Elder%20Burl%20470-2.JPG
http://www.penscanada.com/Ebay%20Grapics/Baron%20Chrome%20Box%20Elder%20Burl%20470-1.JPG
http://www.penscanada.com/Ebay%20Grapics/Baron%20Chrome%20Box%20Elder%20Burl%20470-3.JPG

Mike in Nanaimo
3rd March 2009, 02:54 AM
Got my Pen from Glenn McCullough. Wow! This one is a keeper! The pen is a modified El Grande. The cap and post finial are of desert ironwood and the body is of holly. The sailing ships were laser engraved then filled. The C.B and cap finnial ropes were tied by hand and secured with ca. The body rope is two raised bands hand carved.
THANK YOU again Glenn!
http://www.penscanada.com/Ebay%20Grapics/Glenn%20Swap%20Pen%201.JPG
http://www.penscanada.com/Ebay%20Grapics/Glenn%20Swap%20Pen%205.JPG
http://www.penscanada.com/Ebay%20Grapics/Glenn%20Swap%20Pen%206.JPG

colin gregg
3rd March 2009, 06:22 AM
hello all, i got my pens today from amos, ( wooden ink ) a double closed end churchill in green dyed curly maple,,,,, and home brew green resin pine cone churchill,,
and to be very honest i am absolutely blown away with the craftsman ship. two real stunners.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
but my camera is $hit so i hope amos took some pics,,, if not i will try and get some for later. once again thank you amos:hpydans2::hpydans2:

glenn_mcculloug
3rd March 2009, 09:55 AM
I must admit, the pen that Mike sent me is one of the most stunning blanks with about the finest fit and finish one can get on a pen. I love it! Thanks, Mike!
Also, thanks Sam and all who are involved with this swap. The quality coming from this swap is some of the best work I've seen.

Here is the pen I sent to Glenn. It is a Baron Fountain Pen. This one is made with a striking Stabilized Box Elder Burl, and the Chrome with the black accents. BOW CA finish.http://www.penscanada.com/Ebay%20Grapics/Baron%20Chrome%20Box%20Elder%20Burl%20470-2.JPG
http://www.penscanada.com/Ebay%20Grapics/Baron%20Chrome%20Box%20Elder%20Burl%20470-1.JPG
http://www.penscanada.com/Ebay%20Grapics/Baron%20Chrome%20Box%20Elder%20Burl%20470-3.JPG

PenTurner
3rd March 2009, 12:26 PM
On behalf of Colin, here is what he received. Amos:)

glenn_mcculloug
3rd March 2009, 01:16 PM
Colin,
You are one lucky man, as a past recipent of one of Amos' pens, I know how it feels to have such an incredibly welll made instrument. Nicely done Amos!

PenTurner
3rd March 2009, 02:09 PM
Glen and Mike, you have some wonderful keepers, just absolutely amazing, well done to both of you. Amos:2tsup::)

edblysard
3rd March 2009, 02:20 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k143/edblysard/mickpen005.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k143/edblysard/mickpen006.jpg

Mick's package arrived this afternoon...I was expecting a couple of real nice pens and a few blanks from your neck of the woods...
So the guy sends a set of Sedonas...fountain pen and rollerball...and a good chunck of the forest too.
I think there might be 2 pounds of wood here.

Got to admire the Hairy Oak Rollerball for all of a minute or two before the wife politely took it and stuck it in her purse...it was real pretty while I had it...

The red gum looks intriguing, and the pieces of the 80 year old post are going to be used in a pair of sets...just not real sure what kits yet, thats going to take a little contemplation.
Mick, I really want to thank you for all the though that went into your blank choices, these are unique things for over here, and will go into special pens, along with the woods history.

Ok, now she is back wanting the fountain pen too...I asked her what she wants it for, because she dosen't write with fountain pens at work or home....turns out she has a collection in a locked glass display at her office, (she works for our State Attorney General) each pen in a velvet box with little brass tags on them describing who made them and where they came from.

I never knew about this, seems she has been at it for a few years, and all this time I though she just stashed them in her desk and purse....

She shows them off...on occasion, she gives one away to State Officals who show an interest...go figure Mick, your pens might end up in my states capitol with my States Attorney General....wow, from Australia, to Houston, to Austin Texas ...not too shabby there Mick!

mick61
3rd March 2009, 04:13 PM
G`day Ed thankyou for the kind words it has been a great swap for me(whens the next one). I must tell you that both pens were supposed to be Hairy Oak but after I stuffed up three blanks I went for the Gidgee which took two goes to get it right,Thats life in world of pen makeing.
Mick:D

P.S. Great pics Ed:2tsup:

colin gregg
3rd March 2009, 05:05 PM
thank you amos. better pics than i can manage.:2tsup:

PenTurner
3rd March 2009, 07:23 PM
Ed, with that Red Gum a set of Statesmen, or Jnr Statesmen would look good, and yes Mick did really great too! :2tsup:Amos:)
PS, I am the privileged one, having received one from Glen in the past. Amos:2tsup:

celt40
4th March 2009, 01:38 AM
Pictures of the pen i received from Tom + blanks. I will have a go at making my own segmented blank just like the one in the picture Tom made.

Roll on the next pen swap. Hope by then i will not be the only SCOTTISH Penmaker. Come on the Scots join in.:U

Nancy Laird
4th March 2009, 09:22 AM
Hello, all,

This may be my first post on this forum, and let me say at the outset that I have, thus far, enjoyed what I'm reading. I have also enjoyed participating in this pen swap, as well as two other swaps on other forums with a couple of your members.

That said, I first need to apologize for the quality of my photos. Photography is NOT one of my greatest skills, particularly when I'm making photos that are to be shared on a forum such as this. However.....

I got a package from Touchwood (Jenny) the other day, and opened it to find some really nice goodies inside.

Not only did she make me a gorgeous pen from cross-cut Hairy Oak, but she also sent a "Quick Un Pick" from Beefwood. (It's called a seam ripper in the States, but I think I'll adopt her name - I like it better.) As I said, these pictures aren't the best, but I think that they convey the care and caring that Jenny has for her products.

And....not only did she send me the pen and the UnPick, but a nice assortment of pen blanks, including Jacaranda, woody pear*, Jarrah, snotty gobble* (what a name!!:oo:), Goldfields burl, banksia*, mulga, tuart*, sheoak, and Mallee burl. All of the starred (*) ones came from her own property.

Thank you, Jenny, for the lovely pen, Unpick, and the timbers. They will be treasured.

Now to find the time to turn with some of the timbers she sent!!!

Jenny, your pen will be on its way in a few days--I promise!!

Nancy

Todd Glover
4th March 2009, 09:22 AM
Well I'm a bit late sending my pen of to John, but it went out in the post today. They better not make him pay anything to pick it up as I paid $45.00 just to send it!!!

Course I was feeling guilty for takin so long so I kinda loaded the box up with pen blanks....

John sent me a VERY nice Olive wood pen, when I get a chance I'll photograph it and the blanks he sent me. I'm needing to build a display box to show off my pen swap pens as this makes my 4th!

Sawdust Maker
5th March 2009, 07:02 PM
Hello, all,...
Not only did she make me a gorgeous pen from cross-cut Hairy Oak, but she also sent a "Quick Un Pick" from Beefwood. (It's called a seam ripper in the States, but I think I'll adopt her name - I like it better.) As I said, these pictures aren't the best, but I think that they convey the care and caring that Jenny has for her products.

Nancy

Jenny and Nancy thanks for making and showing something that I can finally make for my wife. She says she would only lose a pen and when shown a bowl, says "I don't want to be knee deep in bowls :doh: That's why I give most of them away
But now I've seen a home made quick un pick - that I know she'll use one of those :2tsup:
any other sewing ideas?

funkychicken
5th March 2009, 09:19 PM
Jeff's pen has reached him. If I could find the camera I'd put a picture of it up

va3jff
6th March 2009, 02:22 AM
Hi All.

My package from Funky Chicken arrived, and what a great package it was! I received an Emporer Fountain Pen in what I am going to guess is a New Guinea Rosewood Burl (you can correct me if I'm wrong FC) and it is an absolute stunner! The Rhodium/22k gold plating combination really makes it stand out, and the sheer size of the pen certainly draws your attention in immediately. The finish and workmanship take a back seat to nobody. Thanks Andrew!

Of the 12 blanks he also included, I had only ever seen one of them before and some I had never even heard of. Guess I'll be having some fun in the shop in the coming months.

Here's a couple pictures of what I received, and once I switch to my main computer I'll post a couple of the pen I sent you as well FC, so don't fret finding the camera.

Thanks for the swap. My first swap, but certainly not my last. It has been a blast!

va3jff
6th March 2009, 02:41 AM
Here's a couple pics of the package I sent to Funkychicken. He has received it, so it should be safe to post.

An Ambrosia Maple Classic American along with a handful of Southern Ontario timbers.

Thanks again for the swap!

colin gregg
6th March 2009, 06:13 AM
WOW, what a way to go guys and gals. i have never seen so many diverse,,,great looking blanks,,, and fantastic writing pens on one forum. the workmanship is outstanding. yes glen, you are so right with the ones i got from amos. both stunners for sure. ( and amos sent me a dud ( reject ) can you believe ):o but its still a beaut amos. what i am realy saying is that i know some guys from another forum, and in the 2 years i have been making pens i have seen such an increase in workmanship for sure.:2tsup::2tsup: so to all them good people that think they are not as good as others. believe in yourself because what i see on here is just great pens from all. WELL DONE EVERYONE. espeacialy sam for getting it organised.:2tsup::2tsup:
thank you.

funkychicken
6th March 2009, 10:13 PM
Amboyna burl is correct. I think I outdid myself (and everyone else:D) with that one

robutacion
7th March 2009, 04:34 AM
Gees... ladies and gents, no wonder why my modest offer isn't getting much attention or should I say, interest...!:) I did had no idea what this swap was about, until I ready it all this morning, wow...:o

Great idea, and absolutely stunning pens from everywhere (everyone), and about those blanks from all over, nice stuff, some I've never seen or heard off.

I was keeping particular attention of the timber shown (pen blanks), as I've just started to cut some of my timber into pen blanks for the first time, and I've got at least a dozen or so of timbers (out of a 24 list for now, but is more...!) that I haven't seen or heard mentioning in the forum. I can see that for particularly pen making, the way the timber is cut from the log up to the finish cut, can make such a dramatic difference...:oo: I will be experimenting a little more, after I finish cutting the lot I'm doing now.

I couldn't be part of this swap, as I have never done any pens, but that will probably change in the future :?. At the moment I would be glad to see my timbers done into pens and have a few other pens made with all these beautiful timbers that I've seen here, so if anyone has a spare pen made, with a timber that is not listed on my thread "11 pen blanks in exchange for a finished pen" or wants to be part of my offer and try making one out of one on my timbers, just have a look and see if you are interested, and if you are just follow the instructions.

Thanks for you time!

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

schaf
7th March 2009, 07:14 AM
Hi,

I posted my 2 parcels off to my swap partners NJARREL and JEFF IN INDIANA on the 11 & 12 Feb. IT looks like that they have not arrived as yet because I have not heard fro either.

I thought that I had sent email but maybe they are sitting on a boat somewhere. Did not keep the receipts to go to the post office to check.

Sorry Jeff and Nick.

Regards
Terry

NewLondon88
7th March 2009, 10:01 AM
Hi,

I posted my 2 parcels off to my swap partners NJARREL and JEFF IN INDIANA on the 11 & 12 Feb. IT looks like that they have not arrived as yet because I have not heard fro either.

I thought that I had sent email but maybe they are sitting on a boat somewhere. Did not keep the receipts to go to the post office to check.

They wouldn't DARE not deliver your packages.. I mean .. you're Schaf!

(cue Isaac Hayes vocals)

Who's the private dick
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
SCHAF!
Ya damn right!

Who is the man that would risk his neck
For his brother man?
SCHAF!
Can you dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about?
SCHAF!
Right On!

They say this cat Schaf is a bad mother..
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
I'm talkin' 'bout Schaf.
THEN WE CAN DIG IT!

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman
SCHAF!

hard to believe that was almost 40 years ago..

Simomatra
7th March 2009, 12:31 PM
Terry i did have a PM on anopther forum as I am in another swap with Jeff. This is what he wrote.

Thanks again for organizing the Aussie Swap .. my pen from Schaf arrived, with some local wood blanks, and it all a very nice collection. I still need to take a good picture.

--jeff

I take it Jeff is snowed in with work and getting little forum time.

You da man Charlie, always got the good answers

David Mitchell
7th March 2009, 10:33 PM
I received pen and blanks from Handryn yesterday ,and she received the pen and blanks I sent.:wink:
This is the second pen swap we have exchanged pens,but it is all very interesting as to what happens:roll:
As it turns out we swapped Sierras without telling what pens we were making
The Sierra on the right was the pen sent to Cindy:B
Regards
David:2tsup:

handyrn
8th March 2009, 04:29 AM
I think that these swaps are a great way to meet people, as David mentioned this is the second time we have done this swap with each other. I guess we are destined to stay in contact.:U
David, thanks for posting pictures. I got a very nice pen from David. I really like the kit and the wood. He also sent me some nice Australian wood blanks, which I will have fun turning. I am still struggling with posting pictures, but will try to post a close up of his pen to me and the blanks.
Cindy

handyrn
8th March 2009, 04:30 AM
David,
What is the kit on the left in your picture above, and where did you get it?
Cindy

schaf
8th March 2009, 06:55 AM
Hi Charlie,had a good laugh, SWMBO is still laughing. Was that a actual song.

Sam thanks for the info.

Terry

glenn_mcculloug
8th March 2009, 08:21 AM
That pen is the executive pen kit from Penn State, also available as a pencil.

David,
What is the kit on the left in your picture above, and where did you get it?
Cindy

NewLondon88
8th March 2009, 09:45 AM
Hi Charlie,had a good laugh, SWMBO is still laughing. Was that a actual song.

Terry

Terry, that's the Theme From Shaft .. famous 1970's song/movie..
academy award winner, too.

But karma bites back .. I haven't been able to get that song out of my head
now for two days!

YouTube - shaft!

handyrn
8th March 2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the information regarding the pen kit. I like it's lines.

David Mitchell
8th March 2009, 09:15 PM
Cindy, the pen on the left is Secret top Pen from 'Xmrizheng':):cool:
Regards

David Mitchell
8th March 2009, 09:35 PM
I forgot to say that I found that Secret top pen very hard to put together in that the works has to be pushed along way into the tube:doh:so much so that I had to get a new works as I broke the first one,I have another pen to try it again:?
Thanks to Amos for the acrylic that was used in this pen:cool:
Regards

dalecamino
10th March 2009, 10:02 AM
I received my pen today from MackC , my penswap partner . It is a Cherry Burl on a Sedona Black TI . It came in a beautiful wood case . My name is engraved on the pen as well . Along with the pen and case , he sent some really nice Birdseye Maple blanks . Can't wait to turn some of this timber . I really like the shape he put on these barrels . Thanks Mack !

WoodWrite
10th March 2009, 12:55 PM
Got my pen AND a letter opener from Boomeranginfo on Friday, great work,:2tsup: perfect fit & finish on a pair that I lost to the Wife as soon as I set it down:oo:http://www.woodworkforums.com/picture.php?albumid=190&pictureid=1819

Thanks Russell,
I can't wait to turn the blanks you sent.

Don Nicholas
10th March 2009, 01:29 PM
Today the postman arrived with, not only one pen but two they were both engraved with my name, The boxes were also engraved.
The green dyed curley maple has a beautiful CA finish, the second is crosscut Black Palm, cast in PR. I am speachless with the genorosity and surpurb craftsmanship. I truly thank you Amos for these and to Sam for heading up the Swap:2tsup::2tsup:

PenTurner
10th March 2009, 04:36 PM
Recieved my pen(s) from Colin Gregg, many thanks Colin beautiful and my wife will love the segmented one. Also received some blanks and away to pen making i must go--wheeeeee!!!!! Amos:2tsup::2tsup::) Thanks Sam for organizing this swap, my understanding is that as from today you are an OLD bloke!:D many happy returns, Amos

Sawdust Maker
10th March 2009, 10:14 PM
Received a box in the mail today - brake pads :doh: eh?
Simply marvellous Red Maple burl Baron (Black Titanium) from Brian Isabelle of Canada
It is a very very well made pen and I think I'll probably keep it*
I also received the odd piece of timber to add to my collection
98874 98875 98876 98877

In no particular order, Rdwood burl, Buckeye burl, Claro Walnut, Maple burl, Thuya burl, Alaskan Yellow Cedar burl, Zircote, Roasted Maple burl, Ash crotch & Bocote. There is two samples of each. Photo shows one so as not to clutter up the place too much

Thanks very much, Brian :2tsup:

* of course I'll keep it SWMBO won't take a pen she's afraid she'll lose it :o

colin gregg
11th March 2009, 06:06 AM
amos, i am glad you like the stuff.:2tsup: i sent some abrenet too. so make sure you give it a go, its great for sanding the blanks wood or acrylic. if you use it on acrylics make sure to do it wet. they will last you a long time.:2tsup:

Oeistein
11th March 2009, 07:51 AM
Hi all.

This is the first resault of the 2009 International Pen Swap for me.

The pen is Elegant Beauty dressed in 100 years old Morcton Bay fig I got from Sam (Simomatra). The blank was sanded to 12000 micromesh, and for first time I used William Yuong´s way to use ca/blo. I put on 8 layers.

Thanks for looking. All comments are welcome.:U

gawdelpus
11th March 2009, 08:03 AM
hehe ! I planted a moreton bay fig in my yard last year , maybe in a hundred years someone can make a pen from it as nice as the one you have there :D

Rum Pig
11th March 2009, 08:25 AM
Nice looking pen and your finish looks a treat too:2tsup::2tsup:

munruben
11th March 2009, 01:43 PM
Very nice, looks great:2tsup:

Simomatra
11th March 2009, 02:48 PM
Looking good Oistein and the new finish looks a treat:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

glenn_mcculloug
11th March 2009, 08:08 PM
Nice work, fine finish. keep 'em coming.

Oeistein
12th March 2009, 03:12 AM
An Elegant Beauty Gold with Hairy Oak from Simomatra is my next presentation from the penswap. I seem the hairy oak was a some oily wood, am I right?

Sanded from 240 to 12000 grit and treated with william Young´s way to use ca/blo. I put on 6 layers.

At the end of the turning a face came out. Can you see it?

corbs
12th March 2009, 06:47 AM
Some nice pens floating around in this swap. One of my pens flew out with some blanks on Monday, still waiting to hear from my other swap partner to get rid of the second package.

Simomatra
12th March 2009, 08:27 AM
Once again nice work Oeistein and yes I see the face, a bit spooky. You know have an alien.

Big Shed
13th March 2009, 09:50 AM
A couple of days ago I received my parcel from Chriselle in Japan, and what surprises it contained!

Chris's personal hand written note explained that the Jr Gent II FP was made with (and I quote) "a piece bakelite that was given to me by a very well respected designer and penmaker (retired) for the Sailor pen company here in Japan" Chris goes on to say that it wasn't the pen he originally intended to send (the urushi pen discussed elsewhere) but he reckons "it's not too bad for backup!!) I'll say it isn't! I'm tickled pink to have such a great looking pen with that history attached to it, in my collection. Thank you very much Chris:2tsup:

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt145/peregrinefred/20090313_004.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt145/peregrinefred/20090313_006_small.jpg
Chris also included some very nice blanks in the package, some spalted and some stabilised. The one on the far right isn't marked, but I am guessing is Texas Ebony?

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt145/peregrinefred/20090313_010_small.jpg

Looking forward to turning these in to some spectacular looking pens Chris, thank you very much.

I have really enjoyed this pen swap and would like to thank Sam for going to the trouble of organising it, thanks Sam:2tsup:

WoodWrite
13th March 2009, 10:30 AM
. The one on the far right isn't marked, but I am guessing is Texas Ebony?

Looks like Desert Ironwood to me. And a mighty good looking piece, too.:2tsup:

Bear-31
13th March 2009, 10:57 AM
First off I need to apologize for taking so long to get this posted. I actually received this pen and blanks from Ozartisan well over a week ago. I've just been dragging my feet about getting pics of it. Then pen is a Sierra click clad in beautiful Coastal Banksia wood. Outstanding construction and finish. Included were blanks of Coastal Banksia, Sheoak and the always popular Brown Mallee (one of my favorites). I've never worked with the other 2 and look forward to the new species. Peter also sent me a brochure from his contribution to the arts, Artisans Retreat. If you haven't had time to check out the website it's definitely inspirational. www.artisansretreat.com (http://www.artisansretreat.com)

Brian Isabelle
16th March 2009, 10:36 AM
A couple days ago I received my package from Sawdust Maker (aka Nick)..inside was a beautiful Coolibah Baron and 20 assorted Aussie blanks...the pen went from picture taking to display case with my other (3) swap pens....now the dilemma I have is deciding what awesome blank I want to try first...
Thanks again Nick for being my swap partner and sending the very nice pen and blanks......also a big thanks to Sam and all other involved for making this swap a huge success......:2tsup:

corbs
16th March 2009, 09:56 PM
Hey all, the first of my swap pens (Mnoecker) has touched down locally. Can't be 100% but am pretty sure its leather:2tsup:. Got a few nice blanks in there too so when I get some spare time, I might have to make some round and glossy:wink:.

Corbs

munruben
17th March 2009, 08:19 AM
Very nice corbs:2tsup:

NewLondon88
17th March 2009, 11:10 AM
I got a package in the mail today.. :D

I'll be posting pics when I get everything set up. Some beautiful blanks too .. :D