PDA

View Full Version : questions about spotted gum table

Sonab
26th January 2009, 01:11 PM
I am building a 1400mm square table and would appreciate advice about spotted gum having never used it before.
the main structural component of the table will be an x through the center of the top, given that the legs are hanging from this what are the chances of it twisting noticeably?
also the x will be made from 100x50mm spotted gum will this sag if I use it as described in the drawing?

Burnsy
26th January 2009, 01:28 PM
Nice looking design. I have never worked with spotted gum but would be worried that without rails the legs would not be sound enough to sustain force from the side if the table was pushed . I think including rails into the design (even to the back of the legs rather tham the front if you want to maintain the existing look) would be wise.

I reckon the X will be plenty stong enough not to sag as you have the table top itself providing support as well. Make sure you use table buttons along the sides of the X to allow for directional expansion and contraction of the top.

Sonab
26th January 2009, 02:34 PM
thankyou Burnsy,
the table top will be made up of 4 triangular leaves of veneered man made board so the x frame would be integrated as part of the top, effectively it would be 25mm by 100mm where the x is lap joined in the center, I could turn the pieces on their side so that it was a 50mm by 50mm section at the join
i have added a couple of extra images to make it a little clearer

Burnsy
26th January 2009, 02:41 PM
Is it going to be solid board that is veneered or are you going torsion box? I am no expert on veneer so will bow out on that one.

Still worried about how you would join the legs to the brace with enough strength to combat horizontal forces applied to a table without having rails around the perimeter.

Sonab
26th January 2009, 03:04 PM
you are probably correct, now that I have the thing drawn I am getting a little more worried, I think I will run an edge around the table just to be sure, it will also mean I will not have to finish the edges of the veneered boards either
it is going to be a beast to move