PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! I'm STUCK!!!!!!!

ElizaLeahy
26th January 2009, 04:10 PM
I screwed a blank onto my faceplate, put it on, turned it...

Went to take it off to reverse it for the chuck - and I can't get it off the lathe!

I can't even remember what way I'm suppose to be screwing it.

I'm such a nit.

Suggestions?

:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th January 2009, 04:13 PM
Did you get a wide, flat spanner (stamped from metal sheet) with the lathe? If so, there's probably a pair of flats on the headstock shaft, between the faceplate & the headstock itself. The spanner will fit that. You may need another spanner on the faceplate.

Otherwise, there may be a couple of shallow holes and a short round bar provided. Same deal: insert the bar in one of the holes, so you can stop the shaft rotating while turning the facelate.

(If neither of the above, you'll need to find a very skinny set of multigrips or similar... but with the JET I'm sure you'd have been supplied with or t'other of the above tools. :wink:)

The faceplate unscrews by rotating the front downwards... in the same drirection that the lathe spins it. This is so that when you turn the lathe on it "tightens" the faceplate instead of loosening it and sending UFOs across the workshop.

BTW, this is a common problem. IMHO the best solution is to make a washer to go onto the shaft before the faceplate or chuck. And keep the appropriate spanners nearby. :D I make mine from thin sheets of craftwood/MDF (around 5mm thick) but people have used a wide variety of things. So long as it's flat and fairly thin, it sshould be right.

ElizaLeahy
26th January 2009, 04:20 PM
No, I don't so, although I can see where it would go if I did. Looks like my turning days are over...

:(

ElizaLeahy
26th January 2009, 04:23 PM
It's ok, I got it...

If at first you don't secceed, hit it with a hammer.

rsser
26th January 2009, 04:45 PM
Way to go.

FWIW, I cut a washer out of a plastic milk carton.

That was after a bind that needed a large pipe wrench to solve.

ElizaLeahy
26th January 2009, 04:50 PM
Way to go.

FWIW, I cut a washer out of a plastic milk carton.

That was after a bind that needed a large pipe wrench to solve.

I have to ask - what is FWIW? I'm sure it's something really obvious and I'll go "doh" and slap my forehead, but I can't think what it would be!

I think I'll tell Zoe that I need to cut it out of an ice cream container. That way I'll have an excuse to buy ice cream!

Gil Jones
26th January 2009, 05:16 PM
Eliza, I reckon FWIW means "for what it's worth". Anyway, here is an address for an acronym converter >> http://www.acronymfinder.com <<.

rsser
26th January 2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks Gil.

And Eliza, ice cream container plastic is too thick. Sorry!

Plakky milk bottle, 2 l, works for me.

Sawdust Maker
26th January 2009, 09:39 PM
I'd buy the ice cream anyway
something to eat whilst you think of the best way to cut up the milk container :D

tea lady
26th January 2009, 10:01 PM
Glad you got yourself unstuck. I'm always forgetting which way is off. I now have an arrow.:rolleyes: Also, when putting on the face plates or chuck do it up tight with a spanner. Then you can get it off with a spanner. If it is at all loose when you turn on the lathe it gets whacked on tight by the sudden spin. (There is the legendary "bugger-up-the-b*^%-turning-demo" story that involves loosening the chuck, and it took all the rest of the day and many swear words to get off.:doh: )

rodent
26th January 2009, 10:53 PM
The lid , the lid is what you use Ern . Besides the \ice creams for creative thought Ern especially if it's chocolate .:D