PDA

View Full Version : A Unique Bathroom Vanity

cmmullins
27th January 2009, 07:35 AM
G'Day again,
Here is a bathroom vanity that was designed by myself and the client. It had some needs to be filled. Some were LOTS of storage and if someone were setting on the 'THRONE' it was supposed to hide them as much as possible.:o

A unique idea came to mind, and after some drawings were made to show the client, it received her go ahead.:2tsup:

It was decided to build it with soft maple, use straight grained wood for the framing, and to use curly maple for the end panels and door panels.

Two triangular shaped upright cabinets fulfilled the need for additional storage and helped to hide any resident of the throne. One on each end. Also the lower ends had pullout drawers installed as you can see from the photo.

I added an ebonized strip of wood at the top and at the bottom for an accent. I also used some bunn feet under the front of toe kick to make it look more like a piece of furniture.

The customer was delighted that I included a hand carved center panel in front of the sink.

None of the dyes or stains pleased her so I started to experiment. I discovered that VERY STRONG COFFEE was light fast, easy to mix up and smelled great and she LOVED IT! So I stained it with COFFEE!

That's all for today.

Charlie Mullins

Rookie
27th January 2009, 10:08 AM
That's lovely work Charlie. And nice imagination in the design. Love it when people think up stuff like that because I can't.

Coffee! Interesting. Did you leave it just coffee or put a sealer over it?

cmmullins
28th January 2009, 02:23 AM
Good Morning Rookie.

I'm sorry I didn't mention it in the first post. It was finished with a coat of lacquer sanding sealer and three coats precatalized lacquer. It was sanded between all coats.

G'Day!

Charlie Mullins

Doc0055
28th January 2009, 06:46 PM
Nice work, realy like the raised end cabinets.

Tex79
28th January 2009, 08:27 PM
Great stuff.

I'd be proud to sit on that throne and admire your work!!

dazzler
28th January 2009, 09:30 PM
Wow thats good. Wonder how a china white top would have looked - might have highlighted the great woodwork.

Well done :2tsup:

Andrew_B
29th January 2009, 07:40 PM
very nice work :2tsup:
looks great!