PDA

View Full Version : A dumb question

jmk89
28th January 2009, 03:32 PM
Having looked at various metal lathes, I was trying to work out what the dimensions quoted might mean.

It seems to me that, although the distance between centres is measured in a uniform way, the swing dimension might be measured as a diameter in some cases (USA) and as a radius in others (UK).

Is this right? Or have I missed something?

12teethperinch
28th January 2009, 03:57 PM
Yes, you've got it right.
Darrell

jmk89
28th January 2009, 04:04 PM
So, on that basis, I should be able to modify a fixed steady for a Sieg C2 (7" swing) for my Zyto (3 3/8") by grinding about 1/8" off the base to lower it to the appropriate center.?

pipeclay
28th January 2009, 04:17 PM
If the base of the Steady you are planning on useing will fit onto the Lathe ways without any modification it would be better to leave it as it is .
What is the ID of the steady,most will not accomadate what a lathe will Swing anyway.
If you do modify the Steady would be easier and cheaper to just Mill the base,rather than grind.

jmk89
28th January 2009, 04:21 PM
If the base of the Steady you are planning on useing will fit onto the Lathe ways without any modification it would be better to leave it as it is . OK
What is the ID of the steady,most will not accomadate what a lathe will Swing anyway. It is about 50mm/2"
If you do modify the Steady would be easier and cheaper to just Mill the base,rather than grind. OK

thanks for the response

damian
28th January 2009, 04:35 PM
It's by no means a dumb question. I am sure many people have found it confusing over the years.

It's probably just as easy to make a steady, especially if your not too fussed about looks. I'm always reluctant to chop up something that works. Steadies aren't exactly high tech...

jmk89
28th January 2009, 05:04 PM
It's by no means a dumb question. I am sure many people have found it confusing over the years.

It's probably just as easy to make a steady, especially if your not too fussed about looks. I'm always reluctant to chop up something that works. Steadies aren't exactly high tech...

Thanks damian

I agree that i should be able to cobble up a steady (and to do so suits my frugal tendancies), but I was just trying to assess whether that or modifying a commercial product was the better way to go.