PDA

View Full Version : Chunky Pine Table

k956411
28th January 2009, 04:31 PM
I recently posted on here asking for advice on how to make myself a chunky pine table for a small space we had.

We had an oval table which was just that little bit big for the space and my wife was getting really sick of it. She wanted to just go to ikea and get something but i decided it would be much more fun to try making something and i loved the idea of a chunky little table in the space.

its taken me a while what with work, doing a certification at the same time, a new 8 month old son and having to sand and oil the deck too but i have finally got there.

I had pretty much no budget so ended up with 70mm x 35mm construction pine that you can buy for $1.98 a metre:no: and i used 70mm x 70mm for the legs.

as you can imagine the construction pine needed a bit of sanding to start but wasn't as bad as i thought.

Because we have a lot of dark wood in our kitchen dining area my wife decided she liked the light pine colour so i just used a few coats of clear lacquer for the finish.

below i have a few progress shots (which were taken on my phone so not great i'm afraid) showing the lengths of pine i started with, it cut to length, then glued and sanded followed finally by a shot of the finished article (which i used a camera for so is much better than the others). i'm sorry i forgot to take a few in progress shots so this is all i have.

its got the chunky look i wanted and my wife loves the size in the space we have. it also weight a LOT and feels bomb proof

now i just hope i doesn't fall apart in 2 weeks:C

anyway, let me know what you think of my first attempt at something big (but also small).

now all i have to do is something about the god awful chairs!

Tung tied
28th January 2009, 05:27 PM
Hi K956411,

Good effort. It's amazing what a bit of determination and sweat (or power tools) can achieve. And what do you mean by just construction pine? It was a diamond in the rough. Two good aspects here; you've done a great job and didn't buy something flatpack.

Well done, I like it.:2tsup:

Cheers

Bryan

Wooden Mechanic
28th January 2009, 05:59 PM
You've done a great job, even if it is pine, it looks much better than the crap from Ikea! It's a fun shop to walk around in though :D The only problem I can see is your table may warp/bow if it's not supported correctly underneath.

What certification are you going for?

Again, good work!

Harlan

RufflyRustic
28th January 2009, 09:06 PM
Brilliant! Simple, but very useful and effective! :2tsup: Sorry, but I must agree with your take on the chairs:wink::D

cheers
Wendy

k956411
28th January 2009, 09:37 PM
The construction pine is the cheap stuff they sell at the hardware store because its not dressed all round and often has big knots etc so i had to dig through to make sure i got good lengths that didn't. its meant to be for making internal walls or whatever else so they don't worry about the look so much. hence all the sanding.

Each of the 26 lengths has multiple dowels and glue and Underneath i have done a basic frame where the sides are attached to the tabletop with dowels and glue which i hope will minimise any warping. whether it will be enough i shall have to wait and see :U

wooden mechanic. the certification is my CFCE (certified forensic computer examiner) and its been pretty full on. been going since last may and the exam is finally due in march. as you can imagine though, working with wood does not necessarily come naturally to this pasty IT nerd, but its great to do something with my hands for a change (away from the computer! i know what you guys were thinking :o )
i've been doing the computer stuff for years now but really before that i was in science so never got into the 24hours at the keyboard thing :)

not sure i'm up to chairs yet though. but again could be fun to try. and it seems a waste to spend so much time to make a table exactly as i like only to buy chairs that may not match.

anyway. i will see how the table goes for a while and let you guys know if it starts to warp or fall apart. if so then it will be back to the drawing board:no:

if i get brave a start some chairs to match i'll try and remember to take more shots.

Juffy
28th January 2009, 10:13 PM
Looks good to me. :2tsup:

Always be careful of that little inner voice that says "I could make that cheaper/easier/better." :)

k956411
29th January 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure i would say it was cheaper (i'm sure ikea do some bargain stuff), and it certainly wasn't easier.

I do think its better though and it was definitely a lot more fun :U

Ozkaban
30th January 2009, 08:35 AM
nice table! I'm impressed with the finished look, especially considering what the timber was intended for...

Always be careful of that little inner voice that says "I could make that cheaper/easier/better." :)
That one has caught me out more than a few times :~

I'm not sure i would say it was cheaper (i'm sure ikea do some bargain stuff), and it certainly wasn't easier.

I do think its better though and it was definitely a lot more fun :U
That's my justification too!:D

Cheers,
Dave

Christos
9th February 2009, 02:58 AM
I like the table. Very interesting and simple.

I am also working in the computer field but have always had an interest in wood, ever since high school.

orraloon
9th February 2009, 09:01 AM
That has worked out well. Nice table. Pine is often put down but you have shown that it has its place.
Regards
John

artme
11th February 2009, 10:07 PM
Like it K9!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Claw Hama
11th February 2009, 10:20 PM
Great work K9.:2tsup: