PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 16 May 04

Ralph Jones
16th May 2004, 07:43 AM
Good Morning Mates,
Screw top cans keep oil finishes fresh but removing the cap is usually a struggle after the can sits for a while.

What do you do to eliminate this problem?

Respectfully, ;)

Kev Y.
16th May 2004, 08:30 AM
The screw tops are only a problem after the contents come in contact with the air, you could alway wipe the thread section after use and before storage.

Then to minimise the action of the stored air insde the container stand it upside down. This works well for paints, so should work OK for oil finishes

Kev

ozwinner
16th May 2004, 09:39 AM
As above, and you could drop in some marbles to get rid of the air.

Al

Bob Willson
16th May 2004, 11:23 AM
I think that the answer that you are looking for is to wrap a bit of PTFE tape around the threads, so I am definitely NOT going to give that answer.
My answer is:

1) Hacksaw the top from the can, thereby removing the seized thread problem forever.

2) Throw away the screw on top that came with the bottle/can and hammer a cork into the hole instead.

3) Don't allow the can to sit. Keep it standing at all times.

Ralph Jones
16th May 2004, 09:41 PM
Good Evening Friends,
All of you solutions are great ones and by all means correct as there are so many different tricks of a trade that are not in a book.

The next time you have a can with the screw on top, simple wipe the threads clean and place a sandwich bag over the top and screw the lid back on and your problems will be solved. Use a fresh one after each use.

Respectfully, ;)