PDA

View Full Version : transportation of furniture

Torre
29th January 2009, 07:38 PM
Hello next week a piece of furniture I designed and made will be on show at the international furniture fair in Sydney, I was men't to be driving to Sydney and taking the chair in my car but now plans have changed and I will need to fly there.

Has anybody ever sent an item of furniture by courier from Melbourne to Sydney or vice-versa? Would you have a rough estimate of what it would cost or even what company I should use?

Also would there be any way of bringing the chair with me on the airplane checking it in as luggage? I would consider that but am too worried something might happen to it during handling.

echnidna
29th January 2009, 08:53 PM
Don't use a courier they're as rough as guts.
Try furniture removalists

bsrlee
2nd February 2009, 08:04 PM
You may be able to find a removalist with a 'light' load travelling north, but be prepared to do some ringing around. I don't know anyone who has used an interstate removalist in years, so I can't recommend someone.

As for couriers - yes, doubtful what would come out at the other end, and when. You would also have to make a big box to totally enclose the chair, bracing & padding etc.

One thing that did just occur to me while typing - ring around some of the 'art' auction houses & ask who they get to pack & ship fine and antique furniture, if they are happy to recommend someone.