PDA

View Full Version : Fire Engine......

Ruddy
30th January 2009, 04:05 PM
This is one the grandkids love. The ladder extends, pivots and swivels and the fire hose can be rolled out and then wound back into the drum. It has some pipe extensions that are carried on the side of the truck and these can be fitted to outlets on either side of the truck.
It is strong enough for some rough treatment but the kids seem to love all the moving parts.

Ruddy

horse123
30th January 2009, 04:25 PM
hi all,
what a great job you have done what type of timber did you use.
regards horse

AUSSIE
30th January 2009, 06:23 PM
Lookin' Good.
It looks like it is made from Camphor and Jarrah to me.
No expert.Just a guess
Have you any more to give us a look at?:2tsup:

keju
30th January 2009, 09:49 PM
Looks beautiful.... no wonder the kids love it.
Nothing better then lots of moving parts..... lots of action...
That's one of the things great on home made toys... you can make them sturdy enough so all those wonderful moving parts don't break off the way they do on plastic ones!

Juvy

AUSSIE
30th January 2009, 11:29 PM
Ruddy
I was looking at some of your work.I like all your toys and that puzzle box.
they are a credit to you:2tsup::2tsup:

Galaxy 9
31st January 2009, 01:18 AM
georgeous! Damn I hope I get time to make stuff like that for my baby boy! Im itching to get on with some toys but still busy with more urgent things

keju
31st January 2009, 09:05 AM
Galazy give yourself some slack..... every so often work on a toy in between all the "must do" things..... keeps the fun in "work". Also.... kids have a bad habit of growing up with lightening speed... if you get stuck with just the urgend things your little one might not be little anymore for any of the fun toys.
So go on.... after the next urgent project is done... throw in a fun one! :)

Juvy

AUSSIE
31st January 2009, 11:00 AM
Galazy give yourself some slack..... every so often work on a toy in between all the "must do" things..... keeps the fun in "work". Also.... kids have a bad habit of growing up with lightening speed... if you get stuck with just the urgend things your little one might not be little anymore for any of the fun toys.
So go on.... after the next urgent project is done... throw in a fun one! :)

Juvy
Juvy
Wisdom comes along with Age & Experience
Gee Did I say that?
Good advice from Juvy
Go for it Galaxy.Take Juvy's advice,you wont regret it.
Aussie

Ruddy
31st January 2009, 01:35 PM
Juvy...Thats good advice, does that also mean I should do some more fishing and forget about work!
Aussie, you are right, The Firetruck has some jarrah and also some camphor. It also has some nice sheoak and some small pieces of European Birch.( well, I think it was European birch, it came from an old kitchen benchtop that was glued from 30 mm square boards) . The ladder sides are jarrah and the rungs are made from bamboo kebeb skewers. I have no idea what some of the other woods are, I have collected odd pieces over the years and making toys means you can use your imagination to use up odd pieces in the shed.
I made a ride on train a couple of years ago and the boiler was made from some nondescript strips of wood I had. I cut them at an angle on the band saw and glued them into a cylinder. I then turned the boiler in the lathe and as it was hollow, the kids stored stuff inside the firebox.
Here are some pictures of the ride on Train and Tender. I confess that the girls are some of my grandaughters....

Ruddy

keju
31st January 2009, 04:58 PM
Ruddy, you bet it means you should go fishing more often.... as long as you take the kids along! :)
Looks like your granddaughters are having a ball..... those faces say it all! Time very well spend!

Aussie..... you're so right... "age" ( shhhhhh) and experience made me say what I did.
I came over here 9 years ago, when my first grandson was just 2 months old. Now I have 3 grandsons overseas. You would not believe how many times I had planed on making something and by the time I became more serious I realized they had already outgrown the idea. Too big for baby toys.... youngest is 6. Where'd the time go?
Now they ask their parents for the usual tv commercial generated toys, but since I'm an old fashioned Oma they still get home made stuff from me.

Sometimes I do wonder if I'm waisting my time.... but then a few months ago I got to talk to them on Skype... with camera... and here they were... lugging all the stuff I had send them over the years to the camera and from what I could see most looked pretty used!
There's hope for this generation! :)

Juvy

forunna
4th February 2009, 03:06 PM
I love that fire truck Ruddy, your train is pretty groovy too, not the usual style.