PDA

View Full Version : Eliza's Weed Pot thread

ElizaLeahy
30th January 2009, 07:18 PM
As I have decided that to practice I'm going to make weedpots (or, in some cases - pretend weedpots "the weedpot you have when you don't have a hole in the top") I thought instead of starting a new thread for each tiny pot one thread to stick them all in might be better.

To start there was this one

Then, sticking with the campher laurel because that's what I have, there was this one

and because it has such pretty patterns I took photos of it all around

See how the bumpy bits made the dark streaks in the grain go all wiggly? I like that.

But tell me - why on earth isn't the hole in the middle???

More pots tomorrow!

RETIRED
30th January 2009, 07:25 PM
But tell me - why on earth isn't the hole in the middle???You drill the hole first and use the hole as the centre.

Applies to all things with holes in the top except hollow vessels because they are held at the base only.

Weed pots can be done the same way.

ElizaLeahy
30th January 2009, 07:30 PM
Doh me! OK, I'll drill the hole first next time

Thanks !

Hold on - I need to hold it in the chuck to drill the hole. I don't have a drill.

Turn between centers to get a foot. Put in chuck drill hole, put back between centers, shape, recut foot to make sure it's centered, then put into chuck and finish off? Or at this stage do I even NEED to put it in chuck again?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th January 2009, 07:38 PM
Turn between centers to get a foot. Put in chuck drill hole, put back between centers, shape, recut foot to make sure it's centered, then put into chuck and finish off? Or at this stage do I even NEED to put it in chuck again?

Too complicated. Turn between centres to make a foot. Mount in the chuck and drill the hole... then simply replace the drill with the tailstock. :)

If the hole is large, it's best to make a plug or similar to fit the hole for the tailstock to hold. These should be made in advance, before drilling the hole, so you don't have to swap the work in and out of the chuck all the time.

Ad de Crom
30th January 2009, 08:54 PM
Eliza, you are doing a great job, and had the same starting problems we all had.
But when I look to your turnings, it tells me that you are on the right track.
It's just a matter of practice, and spending lots of time on your lathe.
So be patient, try to find the most comfortable way for yourself to do your turnings.
Every woodturner is different, and have his own talent.
Anyway I find and see that you have the drive and are talented to create wonderful turnings.
Keep em going!!
Ad :2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
30th January 2009, 08:59 PM
You are all so sweet and encouraging! :)

ElizaLeahy
31st January 2009, 03:54 PM
Thank you Chris for the lovely Campher Laurel practice wood! I've turned two tiny pots - this out of one piece you gave me. I cut a foot in the middle, then cut that in half and had enough for the two pots. They are about 3" high

The first one went very wonky on me. The bottom isn't flat and it wobbles! Learnt "make the bottom a tiny bit concave so that it won't wobble." However, Zoe likes the wobble so much I'm thinking that maybe it should be a feature, not a fault! and yes, the top is wonky too.

This one was going really good - until I was cutting it off the lathe and caught the nicely shaped foot! So, off came the foot. I'm learning a lot about how to rescue things from accidental chops.

AUSSIE
31st January 2009, 05:32 PM
I know practically nothing about wood turning Eliza,but it looks like you are a very fast learner and have a gift for designs.Cant wait till you have more experience.
You will turn out some wonderful stuff I am sure:2tsup::2tsup:
Aussie

ElizaLeahy
31st January 2009, 05:48 PM
I know practically nothing about wood turning Eliza,but it looks like you are a very fast learner and have a gift for designs.Cant wait till you have more experience.
You will turn out some wonderful stuff I am sure:2tsup::2tsup:
Aussie

Thanks Aussie!

I'd hope that I would have a gift for design - I've been a professional artist for the last 8 years.

Got a show in Brisbane in March, wanna come? :)

rsser
31st January 2009, 06:16 PM
Eliza, your turning skills are bounding ahead. Onya.

Your forms, to be blunt, are very ordinary. Exemplars of newbie turnings.

I hope you're not offended by this feedback. We all started with crap forms. Just a heads-up to match your turning skills with design skills.

ElizaLeahy
31st January 2009, 07:12 PM
Eliza, your turning skills are bounding ahead. Onya.

Your forms, to be blunt, are very ordinary. Exemplars of newbie turnings.

I hope you're not offended by this feedback. We all started with crap forms. Just a heads-up to match your turning skills with design skills.

Cheers Ern

I have lots to learn and practice in the way of beads and bobs and fancy flutes.

But there are more to forms then ins and outs, and one of them that I think I do well because I do have an eye developed by my career is using the shape to the grain of the wood so that the grain is used as part of the design, instead of a pretty incidental.

But you are entitled to your opinion.

Thank you for stating it. :)

ElizaLeahy
31st January 2009, 07:33 PM
Ern - I read that to say that mine were crap.... I guess they are!

AUSSIE
31st January 2009, 08:12 PM
Some people must be a real hoot at parties.
Some not so.You have style Eliza

Hartley
31st January 2009, 08:36 PM
Why are they called 'Weed Pots'? Is that What Grandpa kept his 'weed' in?
Or is it like my garden, pots full of weeds? :rofl:

ElizaLeahy
31st January 2009, 08:40 PM
Why are they called 'Weed Pots'? Is that What Grandpa kept his 'weed' in?
Or is it like my garden, pots full of weeds? :rofl:

they have to be weed pots - it's all I can grow!

Unfortunately, not the fun sort either!

unixbigot
31st January 2009, 10:00 PM
Thank you Chris for the lovely Campher Laurel practice wood! I've turned two tiny pots - this out of one piece you gave me. I cut a foot in the middle, then cut that in half and had enough for the two pots. They are about 3" high

Wow, you didn't waste any time... great stuff.

(Half of appearing good is knowing where to hide the failures)

--chris

joe greiner
1st February 2009, 02:07 AM
You're off to a great start, Eliza. And Ad hit the nail right on its head.

A single thread about your weed pots could get huge pretty quick. But it'll be good to see your progress as you refine the shapes. Eventually, you may want to post a new thread for each piece, as most of us do.

I reckon they're called weed pots, because weeds don't need water. Flowers do, and vases work best with waterproof liners. The easiest way I've found (so far) is to provide a plastic or glass jar or "test tube" in a mating hole.

Cheers,
Joe

Texian
1st February 2009, 09:50 AM
I like your forms Eliza. They are not the same ole thing. Never mind Ern. The wood is pretty, and you are off to a good start. Wish I had some artistic ability, but am just a technician.

Paul39
1st February 2009, 10:46 AM
Eliza,

My favorite is your first one, before you took the mount off the bottom.

The concave curve going down to the ridge and then the convex curve to the bottom was simple and lovely.

Unfortunately the bottom curve was altered when you took off the mount. I do understand that there was not much room to get a tool in there.

You are learning a lot, very quickly.

Paul

rsser
1st February 2009, 05:49 PM
Apologies Eliza, my post was out of line.

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 09:05 AM
Thank you Ern :)