PDA

View Full Version : My new toy

scotty60
30th January 2009, 07:26 PM
Its a Record Power model No 3/AS 1460 bed i has a swivel head for bowls,came with power chuck and various other attachments and 12 various Sorby woodturning tools,3 woodturning books plus various peices of timber for bowls,all equipment made in england not china and is about 5 years old but only got used for 6 months till neighbour passed away.Has been covered up ever since some slight rust on some parts put will clean up like new,so is it a good buy or what.i paid $500 for lot
:2tsup: :no:

Ad de Crom
30th January 2009, 09:00 PM
Scotty, that's a very good lathe. Our club have the same lathe, did some turnings on that lathe.
Have lots of fun with your turnings.
Ad

joe greiner
31st January 2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not familiar with that lathe. But considering the motor location and size, and the robust outboard tool rest, along with everything else, I'd say a very good buy. Congratulations.:2tsup:

Cheers,
Joe

Ed Reiss
31st January 2009, 12:50 AM
You got a good deal Scotty:2tsup:

rsser
31st January 2009, 03:54 PM
Great score!

david D
31st January 2009, 04:32 PM
great deal & price - especially with tools and accessories
lathe looks as new
I have exactly same lathe (even looks like same motor) that I inherited from my Dad - nearly 15 years of work & going strong
this forum has a number of items on this lathe - eg adjusting bearing
you can visit Record we site http://www.recordpower.co.uk/ look up the current version of the lathe (Record CL3) and download the User Manual
I've found moving the banjo & tool rest a pain.... however just noticed Record in UK are advertising new cam lock banjo etc to suit a CL3 lathe - however Record doesn't have a distributor here in Oz
people have reported vibration problems with this model lathe - maybe because of how the motor is positioned - anyway suggestion is to weigh down the bottom of your bench (eg sand bags) & maybe an industrial rubber mat
regards

Ray153
31st January 2009, 04:43 PM
Scott,
You have got yourself a good lathe there, it is the same model essentially as mine. The only word of advice I will give is to take the little cover plate that is on top of the pulley access and get some window or door sealing foam to put around the rabbet lip on the underside of the lip.

Mine drove me slightly nuts rattling away and this also prevents dust and shavings from getting inside the housing, not the easiest place to clean out.

I don't have the outboard assembly and have pondered from time to time on their value/benefits and would be interested in your opinions over time.

scotty60
31st January 2009, 09:19 PM
david d
hopefully ill get as many years as you, as for vibrations so far so good, have only turned a couple of sets of wheels for toys but hopefully ill get around to turning some bowls etc. Thanks for the web pages havent been able to find too many pages on this lathe.
cheers
scott

scotty60
31st January 2009, 09:24 PM
Ray 153
the previous owner had already put the foam around the cover,and i handnt turned a dish yet only wheels for toy models but ill say i will turn some bowls and dishes not too far in the future.Good to hear its a good lathe i thought it would be good being a pommy lathe
cheers
scott:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
31st January 2009, 10:36 PM
I like the placement of the motor too. The one complaint I have about my mini jet is that the motor is under it and gets covered by sawdust. Your's is safely out of the way!

And a really good price for all that as well!

Congrats. I'll try not to be jealous :)

artme
31st January 2009, 11:19 PM
Great score!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Forget any shortcomings! At that price who cares?

munruben
31st January 2009, 11:30 PM
A bargain I would say. :2tsup:

Ray153
31st January 2009, 11:47 PM
I didn't look all that closely at the third pic originally but see the foam now. I bought my lathe some 20 years ago roughly, from Len Smith at The Woodsmith (now in Croydon) who was importing them at the time. I have got the manual somewhere in a file I think

new_guy90
2nd February 2009, 12:09 PM
i saw a smaller record lathe in an antique store it was much older and had lots of surface rust, they wanted $700 for it

you got a good buy:2tsup:

Patrick

orraloon
4th February 2009, 11:14 AM
About 2 years ago I offered $900 for one and got knocked back. You got a bargin.
Regards
John

scotty60
4th February 2009, 07:56 PM
i look after the previous owners house for her when she goes away on holidays so thats another reason why i got it a bit cheaper, she was told a few years ago by some guy from a woodwork club that she would get $800 for just for the lathe but never came back.

orificiam
4th February 2009, 10:07 PM
Good Buy Scotty. I'm GREEN:D:D:2tsup:Happy turning.
Cheers Tony.

scotty60
8th February 2009, 09:42 PM
Alls going well, i turned up another set of wheels for my hot rod models today, ill get some pics up in toy models soon
cheers
scott