PDA

View Full Version : Red Cedar

waralea
30th January 2009, 09:44 PM
I have an old door that is made out of red cedar.:U It is in pieces, and parts have been rubbed back to show a beautiful deep blood red cedar. truly a beautiful looking timber. I've had it for about 10 years.

It came out of a house in Millers Point that my father in law lived in when he was growing up.

My problem is - I just don't know what to do with it.:B I think of a project and then discard the idea. I want to make something special with it for my wife.

Being a door of about 2m x 1m with rails and styles and panel inserts, the cedar comes in varying sizes and therefore it really needs the right job to take full advantage of the deep rich tones as well as the size of the timber.

I'm looking for suggestions, can anyone help? :?

Fencepost2
30th January 2009, 10:36 PM
Endless possibilities. Sound like enough for a nice side table, or a bookshelf, and maybe some little boxes made out of the small bits left over. Good luck

waralea
31st January 2009, 10:59 AM
G'day Fencepost2

As you say, endless possibilities. that is my problem

With the rarity of the red cedar, I'm trying to find a really special piece that is personal, yet something that shows the great colour of the timber.

I'll keep thinking..........

AlexS
31st January 2009, 12:30 PM
The panels will be reasonably thin - just about right for boxes.
The rails & stiles will be nice & solid, and you should have just about the right amount for a coffee table or hall table.
Don't worry about 'blemishes' such as latch holes. leave them there to show the origins of the piece.

blockhed
31st January 2009, 01:35 PM
how about one of those old wire sided "food safes".
i'm not sure if they're called a food safe, but you would have plenty of wood to make one of those.
regards
the block
:U

waralea
31st January 2009, 02:06 PM
AlexS and Blockhed

thanks for the suggestions.:2tsup:

Love the idea about leaving the original key hole etc. and the 'food safe' concept. fantastic idea. It would make a great display cabinet for my wife.:)

Both great ideas, I'm going to the shed, even in the 40 degrees outside, and remeasure and draw up a design.

Thanks once again.:U

pommyphil
31st January 2009, 04:08 PM
You could even remake the door.