PDA

View Full Version : A Bowl!

ElizaLeahy
31st January 2009, 05:19 PM
My first bowl! (well, in 20 years)

It's only 4.5" across and 1.5" high. The walls aren't all that thin, but they are pretty considering that the outside is shaped a little.

Had problems working out how to get the huge bowl gouge into the bowl with the tail of the lathe in the way, even with it all the way back. That is one LONG handle I have on that gouge! So I ended up using the spindle gouge and that fitted. Allowed me to get around the corner at the bottom as long as I was careful.

Not all that smooth, I didn't give it too much of a finish. The wood has cracks in it and I wasn't sure how stable it would be. You can see them especially in the side view.

Another practice piece with thanks to Chris for the timber. :)

DuncanH
31st January 2009, 06:54 PM
Had problems working out how to get the huge bowl gouge into the bowl with the tail of the lathe in the way, even with it all the way back. You can remove the tailstock quite easily so it doesn't get in the way when doing things like bowls. Just take off the little plastic plate at the end of the lathe bed and it slides right off :)

ElizaLeahy
31st January 2009, 07:14 PM
I didn't know that! Thank you!

:)

hughie
31st January 2009, 08:32 PM
I didn't know that! Thank you

Dont worry too much about that, had quite a few dong marks on the right elbow in the beginning. The first time it happened I had the centre still in the tailstock ......:C :U

But your off and running with your first bowl and thats what counts

artme
31st January 2009, 11:14 PM
Ah the smell of Camphor and another successful sojourn into the relm of turning! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Steady on girl, you must have a huge pile of shvings by now.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gil Jones
1st February 2009, 02:28 PM
Eliza, you sure are broadening your creative horizons lately
....nice looking bowl:2tsup:
Hang in there, turn safely, and spend time in front of your new lathe.

Ad de Crom
1st February 2009, 10:54 PM
Eliza, read very carefully what Gill told you, I'm agree with his wise words.
Ad :)

Rum Pig
2nd February 2009, 08:39 AM
Good effort Eliza:2tsup::2tsup:

Do not worry about thick wall just yet it only makes the bowl stronger. You should just try and get consistent wall thickness once you have mastered that then start to thin then down if you like:)

Little Festo
2nd February 2009, 12:15 PM
Keep them coming Eliza. The more of them you turn the easier they will become. You also will find that if you curve the sides/profile it's easier than working on the angle where wall meets base. My first bowl looks very similar to yours.

Peter