PDA

View Full Version : Ducks Unlimited

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
1st February 2009, 11:21 AM
This is the first of the toys for Christmas. I know its a long way off but I start early.
There are over 70 ducks ready. The colored ball in the center rotates.It Fascinates little kids.
These are the small toys that go offshore in the shoe boxes for Samaritin"s purse.
http://pohallor.fp.execulink.com/duck2.jpg

Paul

http://paul.ohalloran.ca

Old farmer
1st February 2009, 01:39 PM
Paul, thanks for your post and great pic.

Would you tell me, please: with what do you cut out the ducks, jigsaw, coping saw, bandsaw, scroll saw;
what is the ball and how do you fit it;
what do you use for the colour;
what timber?

Sorry if the answers are obvious to more experienced coves.

keju
1st February 2009, 03:33 PM
Those ducks look like a lot of fun. Reminds me of those cute little rubber ducks they release sometimes... forgot what charity that's for.
Also really good to see things made for charity, we should all do more of that.

How in the world did you manage to make that many since x-mas tho? Do you ever sleep? :)

Thanks for sharing the photo... made me smile :)

Juvy

3rd February 2009, 04:49 AM
Old Farmer
I use the bandsaw to cut it out & a forstener bit to drill the hole. The Material is a piece of hardwood 7 1/2 " x 4" x 5/8" thick . The thickness is important so the ball will ride on the wheels and be trapped in the hole. The Ball is 1 1/2" diameter & the wheels are 1 1/2" diameter. the hole is 1 3/4" Dia. The paint is water based Craft Paints & they are Kid safe. You have to drill the axles so that the ball rides on the wheels
Paul

Old farmer
3rd February 2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks for all of that, Paul.

keju
3rd February 2009, 10:03 PM
That sounds "easy" but I know.... anything that does usually isn't! :)
I'm a little concerned about the size of the ball..... hope there's no way little ones can take those wheels off.

I really like the moving ball ..... you could do that with all sorts of other animals shapes too....

Juvy

4th February 2009, 08:13 AM
juvy

The wheels are tight fitting and then glued. The ball is 1 1/2" too big for an adult to get it into his mouth
Yes there are other toys using the wheel The Caterpillar is one , There is quite a bit of work in it
http://pohallor.fp.execulink.com/caterp2.jpg
The four units are hinged using dowels

Paul

keju
4th February 2009, 01:09 PM
Oh wow Paul..... looks like you've got kids paradise on your table!
The carterpillar sounds wonderful! Think I'd even like to have one and pull around!
Can you just see the looks I'd get? lol

Thanks for showing us that photo

Juvy

forunna
4th February 2009, 02:50 PM
That's excellent Paul.
Do you also supply all the materials or is that donated from somewhere?

5th February 2009, 01:01 AM
Forunna
I buy the wheels and the local Kiwanis club gives me a tax receipt for them. Several fellow woodworkers save there cut-offs for me.
Paul