PDA

View Full Version : Nail Stains

zack
1st February 2009, 01:53 PM
I have noticed a black stain sometimes appears when iron nails and screws are used in (what I think is) meranti. My question is would the use of stainless steel or brass nails and screws avoid this, and does it only happen in meranti?

Woodwould
1st February 2009, 04:06 PM
The staining is caused by tannic acid in the timber (all timber has it in varying amounts) reacting with the iron in the nails. Stainless steel and non-ferous fasteners such as brass won't produce the same stains.

zack
1st February 2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks for this information. I am making a marimba for my daughter and using a lot of meranti. Now I will avoid the problem before it occurs.
best regards

Woodwould
1st February 2009, 05:34 PM
The staining will only happen if the timber gets wet and the tannic acid then reacts with iron. I don't know what a marimba is, but if it's for indoor use and the timber is properly seasomed, then you won't need to worry about timber/iron compatibility issues.

If on the other hand, a marimba is for outdoors, the and you want to avoid iron staining, then I'd use brass, or preferably stainless steel fasteners.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st February 2009, 05:46 PM
They're sorta like a xylophone... personally, I can't tell the difference. Somehow I doubt it'd be stored outdoors. :)

Brass fittings would add a bit of elegance to the piece anyway.

Woodwould
1st February 2009, 06:11 PM
They're sorta like a xylophone... personally, I can't tell the difference. Somehow I doubt it'd be stored outdoors.

Zack might have a leaky roof though!

I like iron stains; they add character. Brass screws are too modern for my liking, although I do like the whole brass thing on marine installations.

zack
1st February 2009, 06:19 PM
Have included picture. Any timber that looks ok can be used for the frame but what I find interesting is that only a few wood types sound really good and can be used for the bars.
Most popular is Hondura rosewood (dalbergia stevensoni) kinda hard to get. Next one recommended is African Padauk available but expensive. I am using recycled dining room chairs (circa 1970) don't know what it is but it sounds OK. Lots of good quality timber was still available in the 70's and I find this stuff at my local recycle centre.
There are probably many more suitable timbers and I am going to experiment when I have completed this project.