PDA

View Full Version : DAR WRC in MELB

TK1
1st February 2009, 07:40 PM
Hi,

I am looking for a supplier of dressed Western Red Cedar strips in (or near) Melbourne. I am starting a strip-built kayak so am after strips around 6mm x 20mm (max - smaller is OK).

I don't have the tools to accurately cut the strips myself - I have tried with some thinner WRC I have but am struggling to get straight cuts with my 'hobby level' tools. So have decided to bite the bullet and spend the money on DAR strips. Ideally I'd like the beaded and ceved but can do that myself if required.

I know of Cedar Sales in QLD and have asked them for a quote but ideally would like to save on the freight and find a Melbourne supplier. Have also considered Paulownia so contacted Port Phillip Shutters as per ad in AABB and may go the Paulownia route if I can't get WRC here. Will definitely use Paulownia for a racign kayak I am also building but would like WRC one too.

Thanks,
Darren

anewhouse
1st February 2009, 10:58 PM
Are you sure you need the strips DAR?
Since they have to be sanded when the kayak is completely stripped, rough sawn is usually satisfactory.
I have been able to get quite satisfactory results with a primitive table saw and even with a good bandsaw.
With a good table saw, your supplier should be able to give you strips that are quite consistent enough without the unnecessary expense of having them dressed.
The only parts that need to be dressed are the faces of the board which become the 6mm edge of the strip.

Boatmik
2nd February 2009, 01:36 AM
When I used to make the strips at duck flat we found that a nice sharp tungsten saw blade was a smooth enough finish. Needs to be reasonably true though otherwise it leaves a series of grooves in the faces.

MIK

TK1
2nd February 2009, 05:30 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I guess I assumed DAR would be best/required but as you've pointed out rough sawn is OK, as long as it's not too rough.

My efforts so far with old Ryobi tablesaw and 9" bandsaw have been pretty average, although I'm trying something else this week to get the cuts truer.

I was aiming to have strips approx 15mm wide but getting them consistent with straight edges was hard, and I wasn't keen to plane hundreds of strips (and my planing would mean there's probably some undulations too).

But I'll revisit the technique and may look at a thin kerf tungsten blade for the t/saw. Otherwise, still interested in suppliers here where I can get strips.

Have contacted a Paulownia supplier so interested to see their cost. Would certainly mean I'd save some weight if this is a better option.

Regards,
Darren