PDA

View Full Version : Floating Laminate Floor

FrankS
17th May 2004, 07:49 AM
I'm committed to instal this floor. My problem lies in that fact that I have a short 1800mm wall between a hall and lounge/dining area (much like a room divider) and I'm not sure on whether this clip-lock flooring can be laid from both directions so that the boards at the end of the return will line up perfectly with those in the lounge/dining. Could I start laying the floor at say the end of the return and lay it on both sides of the wall and in both directions?
FrankS

Trav
17th May 2004, 01:05 PM
Frank

I've laid one of these floors before. I suggest you find the longest line in your house (ie alongh the hallway and into one bedroom or lounge room etc, and lay it along that wall first. The work outwards from the centre, not from each corner of the room. Otherwise you will ahve to have a cut board in the middle and uness you are a genius, it won't look as good as the others.

You might need to cut a board along one side of the wall, but it should be hiddn under the skirting board or the new scotia that you will undoubtable be laying at the same time! :)

Trav

davo453
17th May 2004, 01:38 PM
I've laid a lot of these floors (for friends etc and at home), start laying in the largest room so that it flows into any adjoining rooms. As Trav says it is better to start on the longest wall but if that's not the direction you want it to run in you can still do it, just more possiblity for error.

Indecently if you are laying the standard (cheaper) click lock flooring in a high traffic area or access between two rooms, glue it, as they do come undone probably due to different expansion/contraction rates and traffic movment between the two rooms.

Most of the click lock flooring says in the instructions that you are supposed to glue all joints reckon thats just to stop people making warranty claims if it comes appart though.

Cheers Dave

Markw
17th May 2004, 02:54 PM
Many of these floating systems are supposed to be laid perpendicular to the existing flooring board ie at 90 degrees.

Mark