PDA

View Full Version : Which Magazine subscription

Rookie
1st February 2009, 11:19 PM
For my birthday my sister has given me a 12 month subscription to the woodworking magazine of my choice.

I normally buy different ones when I see something of interest in any particular issue.

So what would be the best magazine to subscribe to?

watson
2nd February 2009, 07:23 AM
1. Fine Woodworking
2. Shop Notes
3. Woodsmith.
They would be my choice....Not Australian Woodsmith, as its just rehashed articles from #2 & #3.

AlexS
2nd February 2009, 08:15 AM
Fine Woodworking and/or Australian Wood Review

Tex B
2nd February 2009, 10:32 AM
Fine Woodworking definitely.

Australian Woodsmith is good if you are less skilled (like me) and appreciate the extra details on how-to. I like the articles and don't find them rehashed (although after reading wood mags for a decade or so, very unusual to come across tips and methods I haven't seen).

Tex

Waldo
2nd February 2009, 11:35 AM
FWW :2tsup:

chrisp
2nd February 2009, 11:41 AM
Not Australian Woodsmith, as its just rehashed articles from #2

"Rehashed" - direct reproduction is more like it! :)

I have the odd copy of "Woodsmith" and I noticed that the corresponding version of the "Australian Woodsmith" (printed a considerable time later) is exactly the same, although with metric measurements. Even the editorial is exactly the same. The only differences I could find was with the advertisements and the "where to get it" section.

Andy Mac
2nd February 2009, 01:00 PM
Further discussion here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=67957&highlight=magazine)! My choice is Australian Wood Review.

Cheers

Rookie
2nd February 2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks all. I'll give AWR a crack for 12 months, and then might switch around.