PDA

View Full Version : Turnfest Wood Swap??

Little Festo
2nd February 2009, 12:22 PM
Anyone going to Turnfest on the Gold Coast this year?? Thinking it might be a good opportunity to swap a few turning blanks.

Thought "Jeff from Darwin" could bring down a few African Mahogany blanks, like the one you turned that ships plug from:D Hand luggage:U

Peter

WOODbTURNER
2nd February 2009, 12:51 PM
Peter,
Good to see you up and well. Hate to see you toppling over that embankment next to your house.
Yeah, I can just imagine the porters at the airport trying to lift 50+ kgs per blank!
Are we going to see you at TFest?
Jeff

dai sensei
2nd February 2009, 02:35 PM
Yep I'll be there and happy to swap some blanks.

I'm on my way south soon, but could make arrangements when I get back.

Cheers

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 03:32 PM
OH when? Where?

Little Festo
2nd February 2009, 06:07 PM
Peter,
Good to see you up and well. Hate to see you toppling over that embankment next to your house.
Yeah, I can just imagine the porters at the airport trying to lift 50+ kgs per blank!
Jeff
Hello Jeff,

Yes, will be there this year. Heike's coming too. Are you coming down with "Trevor The Bee Keeper"?? Who else is coming from Darwin?

The embankment has been filled with wood shavings:U

Peter

Little Festo
2nd February 2009, 06:12 PM
OH when? Where?
Eliza,

At the Radisson Resort Palm Meadows on the Gold Coast - March 27th, 28th and 29th. Phone 07 38087005 for details.

<table class="tborder" style="border-top- 875px; 119px;" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr title="Post 889660" valign="top"><td class="alt2" align="center" width="125">dai sensei</td> <td class="alt1"> "Yep I'll be there and happy to swap some blanks.

I'm on my way south soon, but could make arrangements when I get back.

Cheers" </td> </tr><tr> <td class="thead" colspan="2">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
I'll just put a few blanks in the van and can chat when we meet up???

Peter

Tony Morton
2nd February 2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Peter

Yes we are coming interested in some swaps what do you want and what do you have to trade.

Cheers Tony

WOODY70
3rd February 2009, 08:56 AM
OH when? Where?
Hello Eliza,

Turnfest is organised by Dave at Slacks Creek.

On at the end of March.

Cheers
Woody:2tsup:

Little Festo
3rd February 2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Peter

Yes we are coming interested in some swaps what do you want and what do you have to trade.

Cheers Tony

Hello Tony,

Most of my stuff is pretty average. I have some red cedar, small leafed fig and some SheOak in turning blanks (SheOak is developing some spaulting). I imagine everybody has Camphor Laurel but will bring a few blanks with some colour. I have quite a few interesting pen blanks I could give away, don't turn pens but when milling/cutting I couldn't get myself to throw it away.

Anything would be fine Tony, something local.

Peter

Little Festo
3rd February 2009, 11:21 AM
Peter,
Jeff

Jeff,
Any chance of bringing down a bit of Ebony and Pteracarpis Sandilina???

Peter

ElizaLeahy
3rd February 2009, 12:08 PM
Hello Tony,

Most of my stuff is pretty average. I have some red cedar, small leafed fig and some SheOak in turning blanks (SheOak is developing some spaulting). I imagine everybody has Camphor Laurel but will bring a few blanks with some colour. I have quite a few interesting pen blanks I could give away, don't turn pens but when milling/cutting I couldn't get myself to throw it away.

Anything would be fine Tony, something local.

Peter

Peter, I'd be happy to pay for pen blanks - if they were longer then 8 inches :) If I can successfully turn hairsticks, I'll need an ongoing supply!

I don't have anything to swap - having just started turning. But will there be things to buy there as well?

WOODbTURNER
3rd February 2009, 12:35 PM
Jeff,
Any chance of bringing down a bit of Ebony and Pteracarpis Sandilina???

Peter

Peter,

Missing the good Territory stuff mate?
Peter, I have a very limited stock of Ebony which I have jobs spoken for it. Pteracarpus nil. Will have to do a trip to Mataranka next Dry Season with Mr Stihl
If you give Ian Mac. a ring you might be able to get him to part with his stock. He had a bit on his racks of both. I would be willing to bring it with me to TFest.
Off to Bali again. Last time we were there I saw a pile of very black wood like Ebony at a carver's workshop. I will try and bring some back this time.

Jeff

Little Festo
3rd February 2009, 06:55 PM
Peter, I'd be happy to pay for pen blanks - if they were longer then 8 inches :) If I can successfully turn hairsticks, I'll need an ongoing supply!

I don't have anything to swap - having just started turning. But will there be things to buy there as well?

No problems Eliza. I have some long SheOak pen blanks. I will start collecting. What suburb do you live in. I visit my mum at Tanah Merah every month or so. You could collect from there if you don't get to Turnfest.

They will be free, after all you are a forum member and a beginner.

Peter

Little Festo
3rd February 2009, 06:56 PM
Peter,

Missing the good Territory stuff mate?
Peter, I have a very limited stock of Ebony which I have jobs spoken for it. Pteracarpus nil. Will have to do a trip to Mataranka next Dry Season with Mr Stihl
If you give Ian Mac. a ring you might be able to get him to part with his stock. He had a bit on his racks of both. I would be willing to bring it with me to TFest.
Off to Bali again. Last time we were there I saw a pile of very black wood like Ebony at a carver's workshop. I will try and bring some back this time.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, will ring Ian.

Peter
'

ElizaLeahy
3rd February 2009, 08:45 PM
No problems Eliza. I have some long SheOak pen blanks. I will start collecting. What suburb do you live in. I visit my mum at Tanah Merah every month or so. You could collect from there if you don't get to Turnfest.

They will be free, after all you are a forum member and a beginner.

Peter

Thank you Peter! Is sheoak the same as silky oak?

I'm smack in the middle of Brisbane, but I'm determine to get to the turn fest. :)

Little Festo
4th February 2009, 04:05 PM
Thank you Peter! Is sheoak the same as silky oak?

I'm smack in the middle of Brisbane, but I'm determine to get to the turn fest. :)

Good to hear you might be there. SheOak is from the same family as Silky Oak (I think). Tends to be quite splitty but the smaller pieces I have are fine. I'll get a small collection of longer pen blanks for you.

Got some good sized silky oak the other day, will bring a few of these too for swapping.

Peter

ElizaLeahy
4th February 2009, 05:09 PM
Good to hear you might be there. SheOak is from the same family as Silky Oak (I think). Tends to be quite splitty but the smaller pieces I have are fine. I'll get a small collection of longer pen blanks for you.

Got some good sized silky oak the other day, will bring a few of these too for swapping.

Peter

I looked up sheoak and then kicked myself. Sure I know them - as a tree anyway. Only by their name Casuarina. We had them on a property I lived on at Peak Crossing - they surrounded the bottom paddock by the creek and when the wind went through them they sang. The ends of the leaves go brown - that's the "flowers".

Don't know them as the timber. I don't think that they are related to silky oak, but I could be wrong.

dai sensei
4th February 2009, 08:33 PM
The Sheoaks normally belong to the Casuarina, but the Silky around here is a Grevillea