PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Club

Phil Spencer
2nd February 2009, 04:13 PM
Does any one belong to the Knox and District Woodworking Club in Ferntree Gully Victoria?

What activities do they do? What are the people like? and most important is the club political? I ask this because the last woodworking club I belonged to became very political and I HATE politics, it nearly destroyed the club, and I left very disappointed in the idea of being a member a club.:(

Its been about ten years since I left the last club I belonged to and I an feeling the need to mix with other woodworkers. The Knox and District Woodworkers Club is close to home and maybe its time to come out from my cave and mix with other woodworkers again.

Phil

joe greiner
3rd February 2009, 12:06 AM
You'll never find a perfect match of ideals in any social environment. Might be best to just hold your nose and take a chance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's entirely possible you might gain some insight into opposing viewpoints, although political frays aren't much fun. Do you also avoid family get-togethers?

Even idiots sometimes have a few good ideas. The engineer, Karl Terzaghi, known as the Father of Soil Mechanics, advised his graduate students at Harvard, something like "There is no one so evil or stupid, that you can't learn from him." I didn't attend Harvard, but I have learned a few things from idiots.:wink:

Cheers,
Joe

tea lady
3rd February 2009, 12:40 AM
Well actually I am a member! Its a great bunch. It does not appear to be that "Political". But is quite active in the community. Does things like makes toys for charity, runs demo days at commiunity festivals like the Rowville Stringy Bark festival and the Knox festival. There are numerous groups. Wood turning of course. Carving. Toymaking. .......Uuum can't think of the rest. Also a little class of traditional woodwork with hand tools and stuff being run by a retired woodie. Lots of tools available for use of members. A good bunch of very supportive people, kinda like here.:cool:

Come along. I could meet you there if you like and show you round. :) Wednesday or Thursday?:cool:

Phil Spencer
3rd February 2009, 07:13 AM
Well actually I am a member! Its a great bunch. It does not appear to be that "Political". But is quite active in the community. Does things like makes toys for charity, runs demo days at commiunity festivals like the Rowville Stringy Bark festival and the Knox festival. There are numerous groups. Wood turning of course. Carving. Toymaking. .......Uuum can't think of the rest. Also a little class of traditional woodwork with hand tools and stuff being run by a retired woodie. Lots of tools available for use of members. A good bunch of very supportive people, kinda like here.:cool:

Come along. I could meet you there if you like and show you round. :) Wednesday or Thursday?:cool:

Love to come what time? :)

BTW I left the last club because they spent 12 months nit picking the treasurer who was doing a good job (she was a trained accountant) and when she tried to resign none of the nit pickers would put their money where their mouth was, the meetings degenerated into criticism of some one who was doing a good job and there was no talk of wood work.:(

The Knox club gets my woodwork magazines when the book case gets to full, it would be nice to meet the people and talk.:):D

Regards
Phil

tea lady
3rd February 2009, 11:20 AM
I will be there from about 9. 30 till 3ish Wed. and 11ish till 3ish Thursday. Tea break is at 10.30 I think. Not compulsory, but everyone is quite sociable so rounds everyone up to have a chat over a cuppa.:cool: You'll prolly find me out the back in the lathe room. Ask for Anne-Maria cos they won't know who "tea lady" is.:rolleyes:

Phil Spencer
3rd February 2009, 03:31 PM
I will be there from about 9. 30 till 3ish Wed. and 11ish till 3ish Thursday. Tea break is at 10.30 I think. Not compulsory, but everyone is quite sociable so rounds everyone up to have a chat over a cuppa.:cool: You'll prolly find me out the back in the lathe room. Ask for Anne-Maria cos they won't know who "tea lady" is.:rolleyes:

See you tomorrow, would you like a CD full of various plans, jigs and tips all related to woodwork of course :D

tea lady
3rd February 2009, 05:54 PM
See you tomorrow, would you like a CD full of various plans, jigs and tips all related to woodwork of course :D

Sure!:cool: (At the risk of calling me a woodwork whore again.:C ) It'll give me something to look at when the internet is doing weird things....like today.:D See you tomorrow. :2tsup:

Phil Spencer
3rd February 2009, 07:19 PM
Sure!:cool: (At the risk of calling me a woodwork whore again.:C ) It'll give me something to look at when the internet is doing weird things....like today.:D See you tomorrow. :2tsup:

Look forward to seeing you, I will have My wife Rhonda with me, since her accident and the Pain Clinic she has become socially isolated so when I can I take her to work with me, I am lucky that I have the freedom in my job to do it and the boss is very good about it, Hope to make it by about 10.30. Both of us are looking forward to it. Did I mention that she loves hunting down vintage planes, she can spot one at 100 paces.

Regards

Phil