PDA

View Full Version : todays turnings

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 06:25 PM
Today I made 2 tops a wobble pot a bowl and a hair stick.

The bowl is Qld Maple - what pretty wood and a pleasure to turn! It's only 3.5" across and 2" high because it's a tiny blank I got for $3 from Lassiters.

The others are all from a couple of pieces of campher laurel from Chris :)

The tops spin, the wobble pot wobbles (maybe a little too much) the hair stick works, because it's in my hair, and it's lovely and smooth (I went down to 400 on it) and the bowl will make a good bowl to put M&Ms in to eat while I watch tv.

I left in some background of the picture - because that is the dead mango tree in the corner.

tea lady
2nd February 2009, 07:00 PM
You're sure getting lots done. School went back today, so I can sweep the cobwebs from the workshop door and finally get some of MY work done.:cool:

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 07:33 PM
Tealady I had a look at your website and your tiles are magnificent!

As soon as I win lotto and build a house I'll get you to come and do all the decorative tiling. ;)

How old are the kids? Mine are 21 and 26 and long time gone from home. Both boys, neither handy with tools! Thinkers, not doers.

One thing I noticed today was that I didn't have any rips or slips, and only once on the smallest top did I have a cut back. I was very pleased with myself.

tea lady
2nd February 2009, 08:03 PM
Tealady I had a look at your website and your tiles are magnificent!

As soon as I win lotto and build a house I'll get you to come and do all the decorative tiling. ;)

How old are the kids? Mine are 21 and 26 and long time gone from home. Both boys, neither handy with tools! Thinkers, not doers.

One thing I noticed today was that I didn't have any rips or slips, and only once on the smallest top did I have a cut back. I was very pleased with myself.

My boy is 6. I'm a bit of a late starter. Can't tell yet if he is a thinker or a doer. But he does spend quite a while making things out of lego. Then tells us long elaborate stories about the space aliens and superheros that are flying the contraptions.:cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd February 2009, 08:14 PM
It's good to see you're experimenting with a variety of shapes, Eliza. :2tsup: There's no better practice. The tops are nicely done, too; I turn a few of them when I'm bored but don't want to get into a time-consuming project.

Oddly enough, they always seem to disappear after any kids have been around... :D

But he does spend quite a while making things out of lego. Then tells us long elaborate stories about the space aliens and superheros that are flying the contraptions.:cool:

Sounds like a future politician! :oo:

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 09:29 PM
My boy is 6. I'm a bit of a late starter. Can't tell yet if he is a thinker or a doer. But he does spend quite a while making things out of lego. Then tells us long elaborate stories about the space aliens and superheros that are flying the contraptions.:cool:

My youngest was very into taking things apart - radios, remotes, mouth organs (don't laugh, it was a good one!). Putting them back together, however, wasn't so easy.

Maybe your boy will be the next Speilberg!!!!

ElizaLeahy
2nd February 2009, 09:31 PM
It's good to see you're experimenting with a variety of shapes, Eliza. :2tsup: There's no better practice. The tops are nicely done, too; I turn a few of them when I'm bored but don't want to get into a time-consuming project.

Thanks Skew. Notice how the hair stick can double as a honey dripper? So if you are out in the wild and you come across a honey comb, you can pull the hairstick out of your bun and you are ready to dip!

;)

Robomanic
2nd February 2009, 09:40 PM
Very nice work, looks like a productive day :2tsup:
Love the reference to the dead mango tree, I can sense that killer instinct from here.

But he does spend quite a while making things out of lego.

I spent a LOT of time with Lego, and I am no politician...

Notice how the hair stick can double as a honey dripper? So if you are out in the wild and you come across a honey comb, you can pull the hairstick out of your bun and you are ready to dip!

and afterwards?

lubbing5cherubs
2nd February 2009, 10:40 PM
Gees you are doing some great work. You got that little lathe worked right up

You're sure getting lots done. School went back today, so I can sweep the cobwebs from the workshop door and finally get some of MY work done.:cool:

OH Man do I hear you. MIne went back last week but we been so drenched here that still not ventured down there. I had one week with all kids back at school but then I had one fall up the stairs with the rain resulting in a chin full of stitches so I now only got 4 back at school. At least today the grumbling got better with Cait.
bye Toni

ElizaLeahy
3rd February 2009, 06:50 AM
and afterwards?

And afterwards you put the honey on the bun and eat it?

:D

Ozkaban
3rd February 2009, 07:41 AM
Hi Eliza,

Nice work. I initially thought the "---dead Mango tree" was some sort of logo:doh:

I like the bowl - you're right, that is perfectly sized for M&M's!

Apart from the obvious, what is a wobble pot? If I were to make one, it would be a vase that I some how stuffed up the base on and decided to rename...

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
3rd February 2009, 08:55 AM
Good to see you are still getting plenty of lathe time:2tsup::2tsup:
And producing some nice items:2tsup: