PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone nearly finished

rev
17th May 2004, 01:46 PM
Finally mounted the cyclone I've been working on for the last few months to the wall! This represents about 80 hours of work I'd say. Now I've only got to finish the ducting, rig the truck filters, seal the waste can, make a few more transitions to take 6" duct to the machines, and finally start sucking dust! Will this project ever end?! :D

Gumby
17th May 2004, 02:06 PM
That's a serious looking cyclone. Ribbed sides, two handles, it's great ! By the way, whats the metal cone shaped thing attached to the wall above it ? :D

rev
17th May 2004, 02:11 PM
The ribbed part with the handles was the hardest part to do - SWMBO took a lot of convincing to part with it!

Gumby
17th May 2004, 02:12 PM
Rubbish !
:D

rev
17th May 2004, 02:34 PM
Very droll!
Cheers

chrisp
17th May 2004, 05:24 PM
Rev,

Looks great.

I'm working on one too, but I still have a lot more work to do.

Can you provide a few more details on your cyclone, what size is the blower impeller? The motor horse power? Are you using the blower assembly of a dust collector?

How have you attached the cone to the upper cylinder? I'm trying to work out a good way to attach the cone to the upper cylinder.

Chris

rev
17th May 2004, 06:01 PM
Chris,
My cyclone uses a 2hp dust collector blower - the type normally rated at 1200 cfm; The impeller diameter is 12". I got the dc thrown in with a second hand 15" thicknesser I bought for $800! I removed the cover and drilled out the spot welds that hold the 5" diameter flange and removed it. Then I made several hack saw blade cuts radially from the centre opening and bent them outward to open the air intake space for the blower to 160mm diameter and replaced the impeller cover. I borrowed an electricians clamp ammeter and found that the curent draw is 7.6A with the opening at 160mm - Just below the rating of the motor.

The cone is attached to the cylinder with rivets at about 3" spacings, and the inside is thoroughly sealed with a neutral cure silicone sealer (roof sealer).

The whole unit is quite long because I used a 550mm diameter cylinder - the cone is 1.64 diam length (a-la Bill Pentz spreadsheet for 2 hp blower). I rolled a 10mm lip on the bottom of the cylinder and the top of the cone for a continuous mating edge - thanks to a friend's access to sheetmetalwork equipment. This wasn't as successful as I thought it might be - if I were doing it again I would do it Bill's way because it produces a neater, tighter fit on the inside where it counts. All other seams are spot welded and soldered. I had no previous metalworking skills but I am quite pleased with the outcome.

Grunt
17th May 2004, 07:11 PM
Great work Rev, I'm just about to start building my own. I now know who to call.

Grunt

kenmil
17th May 2004, 08:16 PM
And in the white corner, defending his title as The Sire of Cyclones, The Sultan of Suck, The Doyen of Dust, The Duke of Ducting is........................ Wayne "The Cyclone" Davy.

In the red corner we have the newest challenger, Rev!!!!

This could get ugly :eek: :eek:

Wayne Davy
17th May 2004, 09:35 PM
Ok, were is he??? Were is the pretender to the throne - off with his Ducts!!! :D :D :D

Seriously, great job Rev!! Looks way better than mine (wish I had a metal worker mate :( much prefer wood to metal ).

rev
17th May 2004, 09:45 PM
Hey Wayne,
Thanks for the tips along the way - I contacted you a couple of times through your website. I'll let you know how it goes when it grows ducts and blast gates etc etc etc...
Cheers