PDA

View Full Version : Info Wanted.

Lignin
3rd February 2009, 05:13 PM
G'day, all,
I hope this is the correct site, but, anyway, here goes.:?
I am going "under the knife' to have my knee replaced with a ceramic/titanium jobbie, and I've been warned that I will initially need a couple of sturdy walking sticks.(I weigh in at a slender 20 plus Stone--not fat, you understand, just "big boned"):B:B
I have a lathe, and also have a rough idea how to use it, so that bit is sorted, BUT, I'd like some fancy fittings.I've seen the ones from Carba-Tec, but would like a few alternatives if they're available.I'd really like "a cane wiv a 'orses 'ead 'andle'':2tsup::2tsup:
Can you help??
Thanks,
Jim

PS. Why are there so many posters who turn pens???

rsser
3rd February 2009, 06:00 PM
Jim, this is a bit beside the point, but having trashed a knee recently and gone through the system of diagnosis etc, it'd surprise me if you weren't required to wear arm crutches initially. But I'm no medico. Do know that you should do the rehab stuff religiously though!

Any case, no reason not to have some fun on the lathe. What wood were you thinking of using?

For alternative sources of craft supplies that might meet your needs, look at the websites of Timbecon, Carroll's woodcrafts, Garry Pye, The Woodsmith and Woodwork Book and Tool Co.

(Why so many pen turners? Well there's the blunt answer and the polite one ;-} I guess they're quick to turn, useful, need little raw material and can make unique gifts.)

watson
3rd February 2009, 06:14 PM

(Why so many pen turners? Well there's the blunt answer and the polite one ;-} I guess they're quick to turn, useful, need little raw material and can make unique gifts.)

That was very polite Ern :U

rsser
3rd February 2009, 06:40 PM
(Cough.)

Been practising ;-}

Gra
3rd February 2009, 06:52 PM
Lingin,

I made mine from a single piece of timber and a redgum knob that glued to the top. It looks a little like a table leg, but I will never break the sucker:D

If you do turn as a single piece, watch out for the flex, the old "two finger steady rest" will solve that (Just dont burn your fingers)..

Neil

Ruddy
3rd February 2009, 07:00 PM
Lignin.
Best of luck with the knee operation. You remember the pain and terror you get when you accidently get a paper cut on your finger! Well, getting the knee done is no where near as painful as a paper cut. :D
Ern is absolutely correct. Arm crutches are the only way to go, and more importantly, like Ern said. make sure you religiously keep up the physio......
I had the new titanium knee done about three years ago and I can tell you, a stick would be useless........believe me..

Ruddy

Lignin
3rd February 2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks everybody.Good advice re arm sticks, but they'll have to be big bastards!!:(
I'd still like to turn up a couple of regulation 'orses 'ead 'andle jobs just for the hell of it.
I have some very well seasoned, and beautifully straight grained Ironbark which I've been using for knife handles, and it is BEAUTIFUL when sanded and waxed.:2tsup::2tsup:
Gra, your stick sounds more like a shillelagh, but is probably pretty much what I'll end up with.:;
As to recovery and physio, I am full of good intentions, but if it hurts, bugger it!!:no:I'm a sook!!:B:B
Jim

Lignin
4th February 2009, 10:40 AM
Update on 'orses 'ead andles.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Have been onto ALL the websites that you kindly provided, and THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME BLOODY BRASSWORK.:(
The most startling observation is the huge variation in price:((
I assume that, as the designs are identical, they all come from the same foundary, so, WHY????:no::no:

rsser
4th February 2009, 10:54 AM
Well you could start scanning some US sites. Eg. Craft Supplies, Lee Valley, Packard Woodworks etc.

Good luck with the op.

Just remember rehab (and 'pre-hab') are as important as the hardware. Develop a routine of doing the exercises eg. at the same time every day and then you simply stop thinking about it. (I'm working on four joint systems at the moment; see it as an investment in keeping on doing the things I like).