PDA

View Full Version : Wood grain dash for Boat

AC-Jacko
3rd February 2009, 10:44 PM
Gents we are our purchasing an old merlin clinker hull speedboat with a 360 in it. She is old ( ealry 80's) but looks nice and goes well.The reason I liked it mainly is it reminds of the old 60 style JFK looking boats. Anyways the dash is fibreglass black with all gauges etc in it but I wish to remove or go over the top with a wood grain type panel which will have to be handmade to fit etc. This will change the whole look of this area. Can anyone provide info if a I can purchase a wood grain panel which will suit my needs. Thanks in advance

PAR
3rd February 2009, 11:11 PM
Stop by the house wares section of the local department store and pick up some shelf paper liner and stick it on. Most are self adhesive and real cheap.

If you want a little more effort, then a thin piece of meranti plywood (3 or 6mm), varnished up and cut to shape will look very nice, if you like a dark wood color or another species if you prefer a lighter color. Glue into place with stick 'um of choice.

A solid wood veneer is another option, varnished or stained and varnished to suit.

AC-Jacko
4th February 2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks Par, I thought of meranti but I was after an imitation wood panel type dash. I might scrap around for some meranti and see how thats looks varnished. Will be easy to shape too.

cheers

ibeanonchippy
8th February 2009, 05:31 PM
Stop by the house wares section of the local department store and pick up some shelf paper liner and stick it on. Most are self adhesive and real cheap.

If you want a little more effort, then a thin piece of meranti plywood (3 or 6mm), varnished up and cut to shape will look very nice, if you like a dark wood color or another species if you prefer a lighter color. Glue into place with stick 'um of choice.

A solid wood veneer is another option, varnished or stained and varnished to suit.
i have seen that meranti stuff is it readily affordable and were do i get it

HOOKED.UP
9th February 2009, 05:52 PM
Meranti, or any other ply face, (mahogany) is good.

For the effect you are after I suggest you build your dash front, then build up several layers of epoxy. This will give you the effect as seen on motor car dashes etc.

Is that what you are after ?.

Paul.

AC-Jacko
9th February 2009, 10:01 PM
Yes sort of paul. I will have to fiddle on idea's by the looks