PDA

View Full Version : Glueing timber floors onto existing tiles

paulrachel
4th February 2009, 12:04 AM
I have approx 150sq of blackbutt flooring to lay, with 100sq over existing floor tiles.
My options are to remove the tiles, repair the floor and then instal with bearers or direct glue onto concrete. My preferance is to rough up the tiles fill the grout lines and direct glue onto the existing tiles. I have high cielings but would prefer not to instal bearers over the existing tiles as not to have a drop into the wet areas. The existing tiles are rock solid and in my test areas in removing them - found they came up in 5c pieces. I feel that i should be able to direct glue onto them.
Any advice in direct glueing onto existing tiled floors would be appreciated.
In the other areas where i had carpet I was going to lay down a false floor them fix the timbers to them:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

mic-d
4th February 2009, 10:32 AM
If the tiles are sound, I would give you a qualified yes. I wouldn't worry about roughing the tiles up if you are glueing the floor down with Sikaflex, but I would clean them to remove any grease/dirt contaminants. I don't see it would be necessary to fill groutlines. Anything you will fill with is not likely to bond very well anyway.
Follow the standards for allowance for timber movement rigourously!

Cheers
Michael

paulrachel
4th February 2009, 11:41 AM
Thats what I thought. The misses is keen for me to lift up all the tiles - she thinks it would be a medium job:C.
Thanks for your advice I'm thinking i'll glue direct onto the tiles:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Robo
11th February 2009, 03:02 PM
If the tiles are sound, I would give you a qualified yes. I wouldn't worry about roughing the tiles up if you are glueing the floor down with Sikaflex, but I would clean them to remove any grease/dirt contaminants. I don't see it would be necessary to fill groutlines. Anything you will fill with is not likely to bond very well anyway.
Follow the standards for allowance for timber movement rigourously!

Cheers
Michael

Hi Michael

I've been looking for info on timber movements and expansion gaps in timber floors. I'm laying 90 x 12 mm jarrah with Selly's direct stick onto structra floor. Any idea how oftn and how large expansion gaps I should leave, if any.

Thanks

mic-d
11th February 2009, 05:14 PM
Allow 10mm expansion gap between the floor and any walls. Any runs of over 6m perpendicular to the boards should have expansion gaps of 1.5mm every 800mm.

Cheers
Michael