PDA

View Full Version : What I turned today - feb 4th

ElizaLeahy
4th February 2009, 05:55 PM
I would have had more - but TWO sticks broke on me! Soooo cranky! :)

Couple of woods I don't know. Why does silver ash look like pine? Is there a better finish I could use to make it look LESS like pine?

Maybe it's pine...

One that I used that broke was beefwood. Odd timber.

One of these is an unknown timber, but it bought back memories, I've turned it before. I thought it was red cedar until I picked it up. Heavier, and lighter in colour, more pink. Fought me like a banshee it did! Came off the tool looking rough and took more sanding then anything else I've done. But was worth it! Beautiful smooth finish.

Any idea what it might be?

Ad de Crom
4th February 2009, 07:45 PM
Eliza, your hairpins are looking so well. I'm not able to figure out what kind of wood it is.
Keep em going.
Ad :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
4th February 2009, 08:07 PM
good work
How did you get the facets on it :D

ElizaLeahy
4th February 2009, 08:33 PM
There are many facets to my skills Nick. LOL

I'm terrified the lady tomorrow is going to say "they have to be thinner".

AUSSIE
4th February 2009, 08:39 PM
I think the first one is Camphor and the last one looks like Jarrah to me.

How did I go?

ElizaLeahy
4th February 2009, 09:30 PM
Campher, unknow, silver ash, unknow. You think the last one is Jarrah? It was hard to cut, couldn't get a smooth finish off the tool, but sanded beautifully. It's heavy compaired to red cedar and campher.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th February 2009, 10:08 PM
I'd say the 2nd is either meranti or one of the gums that are lumped under the collective name "Tassie Oak."

Wasn't a garden stake or bulder's offcut by any chance, was it?

ElizaLeahy
4th February 2009, 10:39 PM
Not that I know of. I have no idea - it was just in the pile of blanks. Possibly from BernieP

Ed Reiss
5th February 2009, 12:27 AM
Either those hairpins are really small or that diamond is really big:o

Nicely done Eliza:2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
5th February 2009, 09:35 AM
Either those hairpins are really small or that diamond is really big:o

Nicely done Eliza:2tsup:

The "diamond" is 5 inches across (rose coloured, no inclusions). Aren't all your diamonds that big?

:roll:

Ozkaban
5th February 2009, 11:51 AM
nice work...

I'm starting to wonder how unruly your hair is... if you need that many hair pins to hold it all together :;

Keep 'em coming - it's fun to see all of your work...

Cheers,
Dave

ElizaLeahy
5th February 2009, 12:43 PM
nice work...

I'm starting to wonder how unruly your hair is... if you need that many hair pins to hold it all together :;

Keep 'em coming - it's fun to see all of your work...

Cheers,
Dave

Pretty unruly!

;)

But you see, girls with long hair are "hair toy junkies" and we can never have too many. Sort of like chisels really! How many chisels do you own? Be honest!

I belong to a forum, like this one, only for people growing their hair. I'm hoping to sell some.

I met a lovely lady this morning with long hair and she tried my sticks and loved them!!!!! I gave her two and she gave me her opinion. I'm hoping to start my "store" in two weeks. Hense the constant practice!

Now I have to get some beads and things to decorate some of them. I have some ideas of incorporating stones and wood together.

Ed Reiss
5th February 2009, 01:02 PM
The "diamond" is 5 inches across (rose coloured, no inclusions). Aren't all your diamonds that big?

:roll:

No...just the rubys:q

Ozkaban
5th February 2009, 01:06 PM
But you see, girls with long hair are "hair toy junkies" and we can never have too many. Sort of like chisels really! How many chisels do you own? Be honest! ahh, I see. Point taken :D I think I only have about 12-ish chisels.:think: Edit: forgot to include non-woodturning ones too :D

I belong to a forum, like this one, only for people growing their hair. I'm hoping to sell some.That's pretty cool. There are forums for everything!!!

I met a lovely lady this morning with long hair and she tried my sticks and loved them!!!!! I gave her two and she gave me her opinion. I'm hoping to start my "store" in two weeks. Hense the constant practice!

Now I have to get some beads and things to decorate some of them. I have some ideas of incorporating stones and wood together.
Sounds fun. Have a look in the pen forum. There are guys in there who work with resins and other materials to create some cool effects, like inlays, etc. Hair sticks are probably more similar than you'd reckon!

Cheers,
Dave

Texian
5th February 2009, 03:23 PM
Eliza,
Your work is improving every day. But I gotta tell you, the bright background is really distracting and does not do justice to your work. Consider using a plain white or very light gray background if possible to better show your turnings. Just a thought.

ElizaLeahy
5th February 2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks Richard, I'll do that. I just had the pink material here with me, so I threw that over the stand. I'll see what else I have upstairs, maybe I'll get some nice white linen.

I was thinking it might look good with some green leaves too.