PDA

View Full Version : You seen this Mort jig?

rgum
4th February 2009, 06:49 PM
I've the plan for this jig. Will make soon.

http://tnvalleywoodclub.org/Plans/Mortise_Jig.pdf (http://tnvalleywoodclub.org/Plans/Mortise_Jig.pdf)

Looks like it neesd two cut outs for stock clampnig. :?
Thought I might make the little swivels underneath the stock clamp timbers out of thick alloy.

Anyone experienced with THIS one? Got any pros and cons on it?

Thanks

Tony.

Woodlee
5th February 2009, 09:32 PM
Looks like a pretty good set up .Not really experienced with mortice jigs though.

Kev.

masoth
5th February 2009, 09:58 PM
Looks interesting Tony - I know nothing but am going to watch for any replies. If you do build the jig please keep this post alive by posting your experience.

soth

mat
6th February 2009, 09:20 AM
One aspect of this jig that is not great is an ability to keep stock held vertically (ie mortice into the end grain) perfectly straight (vertical) in both planes. This could be achieved by some simple modication with an additional fence.

artme
8th February 2009, 04:45 PM
I see what Mat is talking about but this is only a minor problem. Mat's solution might complicate thins a bit. I woul make the height of the clamping fences about twice that shown and this should overcome the problem.Of course the fences on the body will need to be made correspondingly higher and the tracks for running the router will also need to be raised.
Make the jig accurately and everything will work well.

mat
9th February 2009, 10:41 AM
Artme

Your suggestion only helps in one plane. I would actually be more worried about the other plane. (When looking from the front of the bench forwards and backwards)

Rocker
9th February 2009, 02:07 PM
I built this jig back in 1996 when it was originally published. I was not impressed with it. It is fiddly to build; it is fiddly to rout a non-centred mortice with it; it has no stops to limit the length of the mortice; it is hard to judge the depth of the mortice accurately. I went on to design my own micro-adjustable morticing jig, which overcomes all of these problems. An article on my jig can be downloaded from my blog; see below.

Rocker

silentC
9th February 2009, 02:22 PM
I think the only useful features of that jig are the self-centring clamp set up and the length of mortice you can create, otherwise it is quite limited.

You're better off building Rocker's jig. It will let you route off-centre mortices, you can clamp the jig to the job if necessary, and it can be used for other jobs, like hinge mortising.

rgum
9th February 2009, 08:08 PM
Matt , Artme, Rocker and Silent. And all.

I'm convinced about the cons reguarding this jig. It's a no go. :tdown:

Rocker sir.

Your jig that also will facilitate hinges mortice , I will build.
I'm a little perplexed by the plans but I shall call upon a forumite to assist me.
He's local.
Two heads are better than one. :2tsup:

You see I'm a musician ( drummer, flute player and vocalist, :B ) and I'm used to reading music or house and kitchen plans.

Away I go. Get on with it I say.

Rocker....thankyou for your assistance with plans.

Tony. :2tsup:

masoth
9th February 2009, 11:58 PM
Question: What is the Woodhaven rectangular baseplate made from? What sort of "plastic"?

soth