PDA

View Full Version : Newish woodturning tool (?)

Sawdust Maker
4th February 2009, 08:41 PM
Was recently reading woodworking mags, as one does :D
In Fine Woodworking, issue #116, February 1996 I found an article written by David Goldenberg titled "Carbide insert woodturning tools"
With permission of The Taunton Press (whom asserts copyright to the name and article) I've copied the article and posted below.
95656 95657 95658 95659
I thought these tools looked remarkably familiar. A tool debated recently, just before christmas, maybe
I did a quick search of Farris and Enduro in google with no luck.
Sorry about the four attachments but I had no way of getting a pdf down to the correct posting size

ElizaLeahy
4th February 2009, 09:35 PM
Farris is Zoe's last name!

:oo:

I can't get the hang of a scraper - which is embarrising when people tell me that they are the tools used by beginers because they are fool proof. Well this fool can't use them!

I guess those would have the advantage of having the replacable tip, but I've seen similar tools around online?

hughie
4th February 2009, 09:39 PM
I can't get the hang of a scraper - which is embarrising when people tell me that they are the tools used by beginers because they are fool proof. Well this fool can't use them!

When you use your scraper try turning on its edge so you present the cutting edge at or around 45' and gently as it goes. This is shear scraping and it will help greatly in your getting the hang of a scraper

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th February 2009, 10:12 PM
Scraping is easy.

In the same way that using a skew is easy... ie. not a problem once someone has shown you how and you get a little [gasp] practice. :D

robutacion
5th February 2009, 12:12 AM
Was recently reading woodworking mags, as one does :D
In Fine Woodworking, issue #116, February 1996 I found an article written by David Goldenberg titled "Carbide insert woodturning tools"
With permission of The Taunton Press (whom asserts copyright to the name and article) I've copied the article and posted below.
95656 95657 95658 95659
I thought these tools looked remarkably familiar. A tool debated recently, just before christmas, maybe
I did a quick search of Farris and Enduro in google with no luck.
Sorry about the four attachments but I had no way of getting a pdf down to the correct posting size

Gees, Sawdust...! you had to come and "spoil" the "momento", huh?

And I was thinking that some of us had just "re-invented the wheel" with these type tools and now you showing us and article 12 years old, with all the RollsRoyce bits on them, damn...! :madashell: :D

Ok, ok... I'm going...! :doghouse:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO