PDA

View Full Version : Purple Gidgee

ken6991
5th February 2009, 11:41 AM
Looking for some purple gidgee for my wood collection. Anybody have any and are willing to ship me some to the states? Pen blanks preferably.

Lignin
5th February 2009, 11:47 AM
Got some old fence posts from SW Qld.Hard as the Hobs. I don't know what they are. except that they're gidgee.:)
If youre interested, get in touch, and I'll
rip you a couple of pieces.Please give dimensions required as I'm not a turner.:o
Jim

ken6991
5th February 2009, 06:45 PM
Yes I am interested in some.Not sure on what the limits are on shipping something from where you are. Pieces about 2 in.x1inx6in will work fine.

Lignin
5th February 2009, 09:40 PM
No problem,Ken.
How about a Personal Email with details of address etc??
Are you going to turn the blanks, or keep them for reference??
Sharpen yout tools if you're intending to turn them!!!
Jim

drbass
2nd March 2009, 10:09 AM
Hi there. I too am looking for some purple gidgee for a friend in the states who would like it for a guitar neck. Can you spare anymore?

t0M0
3rd March 2009, 08:23 PM
Just thought id point out Australian Luthier Supplies to you guys

http://luthierssupplies.com.au/index.php?cPath=133&osCsid=21dbaced2387e54deb8db05e79a1a549

They sell Pink Gidgee Fretboards, Bridges & Head plates.

I bought some recently to use on an Aussie Woods Uke that I'm Building, it looks a horrible greeny brown when first cut but its starting to oxidise to a nice purpley pink now.

Hope that of some help to you guys.

Fireguard
3rd March 2009, 11:09 PM
Try Brett at Addictive penkits, he has some listed on his website.

http://www.addictivepenkits.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=100_101&products_id=318

Lignin
3rd March 2009, 11:22 PM
Sorry to take so long to get to the post.
I've been a bit crook, but on the mend now.:U
Not sure I've got enough for a guitar neck.Most of what I have is ancient gnarled fence posts, as hard as buggery.I use small bits for knife handles and knobs.It knocks vthe bejeezus out of my tools.:~:~

Frango
4th January 2010, 10:19 AM
Hi Jim I notice one year ago you were crook. Hope you are fully recovered by now. I'm making a long wished for musical dream come true by making myself a vibraphone and an old guy told me once about Gidgee. May we talk about my buying some for the plates please?
Cheers Frank