PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell???

glock40sw
5th February 2009, 01:47 PM
G'day All.
A mate passed away last year and his widow contacted me regarding selling his metal lathe and Auto-electrician test bench.

The lathe is a hercus. I will know more when she sends me photos of it and any parts that are with it.

When I can, I'm going to her place (2hr drive) to check the lathe out.

So, how do I tell what model it is?
How old it is?
how worn it is and where to look for wear?
How much to pay?
I am not going to rip her off. So I need a fair dinkum estamate as to prices being brought for 2nd hand hercus lathes.

The test bench? Well, that is another thing that I have no idea of as to price. Any help from forum members would be great.

If the missus boots me out to the doghouse for wanting another lathe, I might have to advertise it for sale elsewhere.

Thanks.

pipeclay
5th February 2009, 02:59 PM
If it has a Quick change Gearbox with Power Cross Feed its an "A"
If there is a Quick change Gearbox and NO Power Cross feed its a "B"
If theres no Quick Change Gearbox its a "C"
To work out age either print off the post allready made to tell years covered by part Nos or take the Nos off the Gearbox Tailstock Right rear corner of the lathe bed or off the Change Gear guard.
if they are not all the same either the machine has been updated at some stage or repairs have been effected to worn parts.The Part No on the Lathe Bed will give you your best option if theyare different.
If the lathe can be run and it is the Non Tapered bearing type run it at its fastest speed for a few minutes and see if the Bearing housing get hot,they may get warm to touch but not HOT.
If you can take a dial Indicator with you and a piece of round bar 3/4' dia,about 300lng.
Put the bar in the chuck put the Indicator somewhere fixed and place the Pointer of the indicator on top of the shaft Near the chuck,grab the bar and lift in a vertical manner there should be only .001' or less vertical movement.More could indicate worn Bearings.
also mount the Indicator on the Saddle or Cross slide and the pointer on the bed ,move the carriage back and forth for the length of the lathe and see what Variation there may be,Movement should be Minimal,'.001".
Grab the compond slide and Push it back and forth this will show how much wear there maybe in the Cross feed Nut or Screw.
also wind the Tailstock spindle out Clamp the Tailstock so it cant Move,Place the pointer of the indicator on the Top of the Tailstock spindle and move the Carriage Back and Forth this will show if the Tailstock spindle is Parralell to the Lathe Bed.
after seeing the price on some on ebay any where from $350/$1600.
You could probably add a Couple of $100 if it is a Roller Bearing model.
If the Lathe comes with any Extras (4 Way Tool Post,Fixed and Travelling Steadies,more than 1 Three and four Jaw Chuck,Face Plate. Drive Plate,Drive Dogs, Lathe Tools,Centres Fixed and Live,Milling attachment Change Gears) will all add to the price.
The prices that I have stated are what has been paid on Ebay recently with Virtually none of the Extras.

Brett C
5th February 2009, 09:06 PM
All good advice Pipeclay, but I beg to differ on the 'B' model specs: they have no quick change gearbox and do have powered crossfeed.

Brett

pipeclay
6th February 2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks I thought i mucked that up.

glock40sw
6th February 2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks all.
I'm now just waiting for the photos.

glock40sw
21st April 2009, 09:41 PM
G'day All.
Well, I finally got to take some photos of the Above mentioned Hercus lathe.

It is a Hercus 9"
Model C Machine No. 6888

Made in South Australia.
Stamped BS on the close bed rail and C6888 with RGE in an Oval on the far rail.
Colour is a Dark Grey almost Black.

No quick change Gearbox. No driven cross slide. A full set of cutting tools and fixed steady. Change gears, Spare chuck teeth, dead centres, Face plate, Dogging drive plate. About 20" between centres.

Forward and reverse switch. single phase motor.
The handwheel on the sadle is sloppy (may need bearings) Power feed works. No whineing or noise when it's running. I ran it for about 1/2 hour. No heat in the bearings of the headstock. All the gears ran quiet.

I have the photos on Photobucket.

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z222/glock40sw/Hercus/

The lathe has to be sold as my dead mate's missus doesn't want it and needs the room.

So, if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll supply an email address to the owner.
The lathe is located in Grafton N.S.W. It is bolted to the bench, but can be un-bolted for transport. She wants to get rid of the benck as well.

Price???? No idea. She is open to offers.

If you need any other info consult the photos or PM me.

Thanks.

tanii51
21st April 2009, 10:13 PM
sent you a pm
john

glock40sw
21st April 2009, 10:18 PM
sent you a pm
john

Reply sent.

glock40sw
24th April 2009, 08:11 AM
I have had a look at the gears located next to the pulleys and there are no teeth missing.

I chucked a foot long piece of inch bar in it yesterday and ran a few cuts.
The powerfeed ran well with no noise.

This lathe was bought new by an Auto-electrician and used in his bussiness for turning startermotor and alternator shafts for bearing fitting.
It was used on and off over the last 40 years in this way.

The grunge on the lathe looks bad, but I wiped a section with a rag and some "Simple green" and it cleaned up easy.

So. I leave it to the hercusophiles to see if it is of interest.

Thanks.