PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Forumites gettogether 14th February

Sculptured Box
5th February 2009, 02:31 PM
Hi

Arrangements are now in place for 14th February (Valentines Day) for Sydney and surrounding areas Forum members, all members are welcome.

The venue is the new Men's Shed, Pomeroy Street Homebush. The building is 40m by 17m (approx.) clear span, with windows on either wall. There are 15 toilets. It has 3 phrase power, with drop down power connections. There is ample parking on site and adjoining area.

There is no fridge, table or chairs, tap water is on hand.

Attendees are asked to make a Gold coin donation, proceeds of which will go towards the establishment of the shed at this location.

BYO your own food and refreshments. There is currently no insurance covering the building, so it is Enter at your own Risk.

Looking forward to seeing you on 14th February, 10am to 3pm.

For further info ~ http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=891497#post891497

Wongo
5th February 2009, 03:04 PM
Tony, put me down as a definite maybe. I will check with wife to make sure it is OK. Now I am committed, you may get no one. :U

9.00 - 10.00 : CarbaTec
10.00 - 12.00 : Men's shed :U

Wongo
5th February 2009, 03:08 PM
Tony, can we ask people to turn up between 10.00 to 11.00? Just to sure that everyone is there at the same time.

Tex B
5th February 2009, 05:38 PM
The venue is the new Men's Shed, Pomeroy Street Homebush. The building is 40m by 17m (approx.) clear span, with windows on either wall. There are 15 toilets.

I'm not sure there will be enough toilets. Better not drink any water before you come :wink:

Pat
5th February 2009, 06:02 PM
Wongo, do you want me to throw the Houn (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=77888) slab in the back of the car for you?

wheelinround
5th February 2009, 06:36 PM
Wongo, do you want me to throw the Houn (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=77888) slab in the back of the car for you?

If he doesn't Pat I am sure I could find it a nice home even shove it under the bed till ready to use it.

Ray

graemet
5th February 2009, 08:06 PM
I'm like Wongo, a definite maybe! See ys all there.
Cheers
Graeme

Wongo
5th February 2009, 10:23 PM

That is amazing Pat. I just sent you a PM about it. You want a Skil router? :2tsup::D

OK boys, I will definately be there. It must be your lucky day. :U

BobR
6th February 2009, 09:12 AM
It must be your lucky day. :U

There's some luck that I can just do without :rolleyes:

Bring the cabinet so the we can all have a look at it.

fletty
7th February 2009, 02:24 PM
This is REALLY REALLYscarey ....
I was born a few doors up the hill, lived there until I was twenty something and, if I've got the right building, it was built as a work centre for people with intellectual challenges ... we should all fit in quite well!

I'll be there,
Fletty

Tex B
7th February 2009, 02:39 PM
So, if I bring the scrapers (http://www.carbatec.com.au/scraping/veritas-super-hard-scraper-set) I got this week, can someone show me how to use them?

Tex

Sculptured Box
7th February 2009, 05:56 PM
So, if I bring the scrapers (http://www.carbatec.com.au/scraping/veritas-super-hard-scraper-set) I got this week, can someone show me how to use them?

Tex

If I brought my Tormek grinder, then maybe someone can show us both?

Pat
7th February 2009, 08:06 PM
You don't need a grinder for those scrapers. A mill file and a stone along with a decent vice and some thing to burnish them with.

wheelinround
8th February 2009, 09:13 AM
You don't need a grinder for those scrapers. A mill file and a stone along with a decent vice and some thing to burnish them with.

I find a kitchen knife steel ideal for burnishing scrapers :2tsup:

Pat
13th February 2009, 03:28 PM
Ok, I have cut the blanks of Blackwood. 3 are for sale/swap. I also will be taking other turning blanks, 2 Huon carving blanks, 2 Micrometers and other small stuff for the metal heads.

+ Wongo's Huon and Blackwood slabs
+ Ray's Blackwood blank
+ Softdrink and water for myself. Better get some food too :)

No intention of making money, just want to cover the price of the blackwood and a new chain for my chain saw. Otherwise I'm there to talk carp about woodwork . . .
If you see a big boofhead and a taller ugly looking dude wandering around lost, it'll be me and Wongo.

jchappo
13th February 2009, 06:28 PM
I'd better bring some money then ...

watson
13th February 2009, 06:33 PM
Just a note to wish that you have a great get-to-gether :2tsup:

Don't forget though.......every body expects to see plenty of pics with names....just to protect the innocent :U :U

Have a good one.

jow104
13th February 2009, 06:41 PM
Wish I could be there, have a good day.

Last occassion for me at a Sydney meeeting was the workshop north of Sydney nearly three years ago now.

BobR
13th February 2009, 08:07 PM
If you see a big boofhead and a taller ugly looking dude wandering around lost, it'll be me and Wongo.

Wongo's not that tall :rolleyes:

wheelinround
14th February 2009, 12:07 PM
Hope you guys have a great time. :2tsup:

Tex B
14th February 2009, 01:44 PM
We did. I even learned how to use a scraper:)

Tex

jchappo
14th February 2009, 03:27 PM
Good turnout and a great meet.

Where's Ashore with the Pics?

Whoops! Nearly forgot - hands together for Tony for organising it.

Ashore
14th February 2009, 03:39 PM
Jesus give me time , only just got back to newcastle
Pic 1
bleeder,tony,graemet,pat,wongo,DYI Dan,john,ozkaban,BobR,ashore,Alister,Tex B
Pic 2
Bob, fletty ( who was late ) ,john

Apoligies if I got any wrong

Ashore
14th February 2009, 03:42 PM
A good meet a lot was talked about , with wongo's questions on the correct bevel angle to sharpen a plane blade talking up a fair bit of the conversation :rolleyes:

wheelinround
14th February 2009, 04:37 PM
Now look at that only one WWF shirt :;

Good bunch of blokes there :rolleyes:

:o not one photo of any wood :no:

or tools :doh:

Pat
14th February 2009, 05:37 PM
Now look at that only one WWF shirt :;

Good bunch of blokes there :rolleyes:

:o not one photo of any wood :no:

or tools :doh:
Beg to differ, both myself and Ashore were wearing the shirt.

On the wood/tools front, a Blackwood turning blank is on it's way via Fletty.

wheelinround
14th February 2009, 05:44 PM

Sorry Pat Fletty's is the only one I can see although there are a couple of caps.

good thing Fletty doesn't turn and he's a good friend as he seems to have as much of my wood these days as I do :D

Thanks for the turning blank Pat

shame Fletty didn't call in this week you might have had your Peppermint Gum bits..:;

Tex B
14th February 2009, 05:45 PM
not one photo of any wood

I'm holding a piece of mahogany. Does that count? :wink:

Tex

Pat
14th February 2009, 05:49 PM
Ray, you wouldn't have enjoyed it! A bunch of blokes telling tall stories and true about woodwork and other topics. Wongo and his sharpening angles was a case of dissension amongst us. Maybe you can throw in your $0.02 :U

wheelinround
14th February 2009, 05:50 PM
I'm holding a piece of mahogany. Does that count? :wink:

Tex

Yep thought it may have been one of those folders with a wood grained cover Tex :;

wheelinround
14th February 2009, 05:56 PM
Ray, you wouldn't have enjoyed it! A bunch of blokes telling tall stories and true about woodwork and other topics. Wongo and his sharpening angles was a case of dissension amongst us. Maybe you can throw in your $0.02 :U

:rolleyes: True stories from you lot :roflmao:

I was there in spirit Pat been watching woodworking DVD's all day :rolleyes:

Wong needs an angle greater than anyone else cause he's taller than everyone else.
Its his stroke thats the greatest difference where as 80% of us need 3 steps for a table top Wong takes 1/2 a step. :;

Sculptured Box
14th February 2009, 06:00 PM
and I got Huon from Pat, even better it was great to share personal injury stories - some of their stories were enough to turn you off woodworking forever!

We were able to contribute more than $67 towards the establishment of the Men's Workshop at Homebush, a small but I am told a very gratefully received contribution.

It is also worthy to note that next weekend there will be a meeting of all interested parties at the Men's Shed to discuss it's formation, all those interested are invited attend 10am Saturday 21st February. Contact Terry MacCowan on M: 0449106002.

DIY DAN
14th February 2009, 08:57 PM
Ashore and Tony,

Good meet. Thanks for all the work organising it. By the way Ashore, what does DYI stand for. "Do Yourself It" . Sounds slightly disgusting, maybe even painful.

DIY DAN

Waldo
14th February 2009, 11:42 PM
Which one of you lot is Wongo? :?

Ozkaban
15th February 2009, 08:19 AM
Was a fun gathering. I lightened Pat's load of timber a little. I've already managed to ruin one of the bowl blanks :rolleyes: Still, if I can work out how to rechuck it, it might become a slightly smaller bowl :D

It was nice to put faces to the names, and it does look like a good spot for the new Mens Shed.

Cheers,
Dave

BobR
15th February 2009, 08:58 AM
Which one of you lot is Wongo

You will get a clearer shot of him on most wanted.

Great day yesterday. Added a few more faces to names. Would like the space they have obtained for the Men's Shed.

jmk89
15th February 2009, 10:51 AM
Sorry I missed it. I will get there next time (come hell or high water).

Ashore
15th February 2009, 12:08 PM
. By the way Ashore, what does DYI stand for. "Do Yourself It" . Sounds slightly disgusting, maybe even painful.

DIY DAN
All tony's work mate I just took a picture
DYI ....um.......after all the damage reports people have gave yesterday perhaps .Done Yourself an Injury is apt :D

Wongo
15th February 2009, 12:20 PM
Waldo, I am the one behind Pat, I am at 6 inches taller that the rest of them. :D

Ozkaban
15th February 2009, 01:02 PM
Waldo, I am the one behind Pat, I am at 6 inches taller that the rest of them. :D

Yup, he's the one standing on an 8" bit of blackwood...

cheers,
Dave

Alastair
15th February 2009, 02:01 PM
Second that:2tsup:

Great morning getting to meet folk, and swap stories, and information.

Many thanks to Tony for organising, and the shed for the facilities.

Looking forward to keeping in touch, and meeting some of the missing faces when we do it again.

regards

Ashore
15th February 2009, 02:18 PM
Sure you are twinkle toes :D:D:D

Wongo
15th February 2009, 03:17 PM

wheelinround
17th February 2009, 10:08 AM

Edit forgot this bit

I had a visitor yesterday afternoon thanks Fletty you brightened my day and lifted my spirits...........especially the offer of taking me on the City to Surf with you this year:p you know you push up hill and we both freewheel down hill..................just hope the breaks hold.

:oo: Blackwood received/reviewed marked out for re-sawing, Thanks Pat :2tsup:

Bloody heavy bit-o-wood and tough as, possibly petrified............more of what I could do to it :D

Ray

Pat
17th February 2009, 12:27 PM
Bloody heavy bit-o-wood and tough as, possibly petrified............more of what I could do to it :D

Ray

Well according to Henry it was slabbed in the 70's. It managed to chew my chainsaw blade and stop my bandsaw. So it will be fun turning it:U

wheelinround
17th February 2009, 12:30 PM
Well according to Henry it was slabbed in the 70's. It managed to chew my chainsaw blade and stop my bandsaw. So it will be fun turning it:U

:o:doh: Fletty I hope your reading this :aro-u::aro-u:

Ozkaban
17th February 2009, 01:14 PM
I grabbed a chunk of the blackwood too. Still scratching my head wondering what I am going to do with it...

Very cool bit of wood though!

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
18th February 2009, 08:18 AM
I grabbed a chunk of the blackwood too. Still scratching my head wondering what I am going to do with it...

Very cool bit of wood though!

Cheers,
Dave

Dave I almost had your scented Rose wood pen blanks :D

Ozkaban
18th February 2009, 08:29 AM
Dave I almost had your scented Rose wood pen blanks :D

Ahh, I'm sure there's enough to share! I'm driving down the M7 this weekend, so I'll lob some over the fence as we go past Hinchinbrook:D Failing that, I'll organise for a postie to send some your way! (I gotta collect them from the generous Mr Fletty first though!)

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
18th February 2009, 09:11 AM
Ahh, I'm sure there's enough to share! I'm driving down the M7 this weekend, so I'll lob some over the fence as we go past Hinchinbrook:D Failing that, I'll organise for a postie to send some your way! (I gotta collect them from the generous Mr Fletty first though!)

Cheers,
Dave

Dave have my own Rose wood being cut by Mr Fletty :2tsup: thanks for the offer.

Ozkaban
19th February 2009, 05:45 PM
Hi,

I finally picked up some scented rosewood from Fletty today. About 9 sticks, 450-500 long. Enough, I reckon, to make about 50 odd Sierras...

I polished up a small section of it. Smells beautiful, and I really like the look of the grain too...

Thanks Fletty!

(oh, the split in the end of the photo showing all of the stick was my fault... pure impatience!!!)

EDIT: The contrast in the second photo was blown out a bit 'cos the photos weren't capturing the grain. The light was a little strong...

Cheers,
Dave