PDA

View Full Version : getting back into it

tambo
6th February 2009, 02:04 AM
Ok, I haven’t logged onto my account in quite a while and I thought now would be the perfect time to do so. When i first set up my account I posted a picture of a silky oak hall table that I had built in high school which you can see in this posting below. Alongside are a few other photo’s of a bedside table (made from particle board with silky oak veneer) and another hall table made of cedar (the stain is walnut). Long story short I started a furniture finishing apprenticeship last year fulltime which is probably one of the worst decisions of my life but enough of that, I had to quit the apprenticeship after completing 7 months. Now I’m currently on the prowl for something along the lines of a cabinet making apprenticeship. The real reason why iv created this thread is to ask for help and advice with regards to setting up a workshop at home. I tried doing just that a few years ago but failed due to financial issues, but now that I’ve put aside a substantial amount I want to set up a workshop so that I can do everything from home, aka have a decent surfacer, thicknesser and basic machinery. I have been doing some research but I wanted to get straight honest answers from the guys who use the equipment who aren’t trying to sell their product. Any help with the cost, brand and variations of machinery and hand tools and where I could purchase them in Brisbane would be of great help and don’t forget to give me some constructive criticism about the woodwork, cheers.

Rhys Cooper
6th February 2009, 03:53 PM
Nice work mate...

I cant really help you with the Workshop setup, but I will keep an eye on this thread as I will be wanting to do a similar thing (within the next 5 years:U)

Goodluck
Rhys