PDA

View Full Version : Removing chuck from a Bosch PSB700RE

henlan77
7th February 2009, 12:56 PM
Hi all,
My beloved Bosch PSB700RE drill (green model, made in Switzerland not Asia) is going as strong as ever, but the keyless chuck is cactus.

I have read a few posts about removing chucks but still have had no luck.
There doesn't appear to be a screw inside the chuck, and when I insert an allen key and hit it, the chuck and shaft just rotate.

Has anyone had any experience with removing this type of chuck?

Attached are a couple of pics which show the type of chuck. It is keyless but you must hold down a lock button to stop the shaft rotating while you tighten the jaws. Part of the problem is that the grip of the lock button is worn, ie not a strong hold on the shaft when tightening or loosening the chuck.

If I can't get the chuck off there'll be a memorial service, a burial, a wake and a trip to the hardware store.

Thanks in advance.

flynnsart
7th February 2009, 01:19 PM
We tried all sorts of things to remove the chuck off our Makita, thought the screw was not there, but it actually was, just had been ground flat over time with loose drill bits spinning on it:doh: As a very last resort my hubby took to it with an angle grinder, and nibbled bits off here and there until it was removable. He figured it was bin fodder anyway if we couldnt get the chuck off. We bought an el-cheapo replacement chuck, which still works, but wish we had put on a better one. By memory the screw inside is reverse threaded.

Donna

Quasimodo
8th February 2009, 09:45 AM
The drill manual is available from:

http://www.bosch-do-it.com.au/diy/

says to use allen key method while holding lock button and turn anti-clockwise from chuck end - there is no locking screw apparently.

If the lock button won't hold you will have to devise some way to hold the armature or else maybe use an impact gun with a inhex socket or similar.

Chris Parks
8th February 2009, 01:01 PM
If the lock button won't hold you will have to devise some way to hold the armature or else maybe use an impact gun with a inhex socket or similar.

Be aware that impact guns break allen keys. Use the biggest one you can get in the chuck. I broke one using a cordless impact gun and until I did I had not considered the bleeding obvious.