PDA

View Full Version : Sharing the collective wisdom

jefferson
7th February 2009, 01:03 PM
It occurs to me that, at least in respect of the Vic chapter of the woodturning forum, that we are wasting a lot of knowledge that is shared at our turn-ons / turnfests.

No doubt those that attend learn a heap, but we could do much more. For example, Ern's demonstration on turning beads with the new tools possibly could have been put on disc and collected for publication - in much the same way as Stu in Tokyo does. Same for 's efforts on beads with the gouge.

And it is hard for everyone to watch over the turner's shoulder!

A suggestion - could be possibly share the cost of a decent video for use at our outings? We'd need a decent operator and a lot of quiet from the audience when on tape.

If we did so, in time we'd have a great library of all you need to start turning, from sharpening to tool use to tuning of bandsaws etc.

Just a thought. I've no idea of costs etc but surely it would make a good investment.

If anyone had a problem with say turning coves, we'd have on tape taking us through the process. Lasting education and knowledge sharing. (And the way drinks tea, he won't be around forever, sorry ). I know I was V-cutting quite successfully, but , standing over my shoulder, improved my technique considerably, just by changing the cutting angle. Priceless knowledge, and info you are not likely to find on any Raffan or Darlow DVD.

Jef

ElizaLeahy
7th February 2009, 07:44 PM
I know I'd like peering over my shoulder - I'm sure he could solve a few errors I'm probably making without even knowing I'm making them.

Maybe we could have a sale of wood things on ebay to raise money for the camera?