PDA

View Full Version : Timber strength

ElizaLeahy
8th February 2009, 10:02 AM
As I'm getting more towards a "finished product" with the hair sticks I have to start thinking about what timbers to use.

Although I love Campher Laurel it might not be the best choice.

So, given that I'm cutting something about 17cm long but only 3-5mm thick I need something that is strong along the length.

I got all the sticks that I've made so far and tried to break them. Crash test dummy's, poor things.

I found the Campher broke easily, the silky oak did too. But I'm wondering if it would be true of ALL Campher, ALL Silky Oak?

You'd think that "hardwood" would cover it - but I doubt it. Knowing that balsa is considered a hardwood, and how easily that would snap at 3mm.

Is there some sort of guide for this?

Interestingly, Red Cedar, which I would have put on the same level with the Campher, didn't break.

ElizaLeahy
8th February 2009, 10:03 AM
Oh yeah, and the ones that I oh so cleverly put the stones in - broke at the stone. I think I'll have to work out how to get a length of metal down the middle at that point.

Sawdust Maker
8th February 2009, 10:44 AM
Anything fairly straight grained in a hardwood should work. Even pine straight grained would be ok. How hard is it to break a piece of dowl.
As soon as you get into anything crossgrained the strength will go. In pens it is ok because there is a brass tube glued down the middle. Have another look at those "crash test dummies" and check the grain orientation. You might be surprised
And if you are going to drill, I'd suggest you do it before turning, then use that hole to centre your live centre

mic-d
8th February 2009, 10:46 AM
Hi Eliza,
Most wood should be strong enough for your purposes, if it is cut in the correct way. You might look at splitting (riving) your stock so that the long grain fibres travel the full length of the stick, this makes for very strong pieces.

Cheers
Michael