PDA

View Full Version : Dubai Stopover

John Saxton
8th February 2009, 09:21 PM
G,day, heading off to Europe soon to re-visit some of the haunts of my younger day's but stopping off in Dubai for a couple of day's.

Was wondering if (apart from all the emails that I have seen on the progress of Dubai) anyone had anything offer to other from their own experiences.

TIA

Cheers:)

fenderbelly
11th February 2009, 07:30 PM
Hi John, how soon is soon, a friend of mine left here on the 6th and she will be away 5 weeks which means she will return on 13/14 of March. If you're leaving after that i may be able to get you some info.

You will have to remind me tho.

Cheers Fred

John Saxton
12th February 2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Fred, thanks for that we're not leaving for a few months yet when the weather in Europe is a little kinder could'nt deal with all that cool stuff they got going at the moment:D

Mind tho Dubai always looks good weather wise.:cool:

Cheers John

KevM
12th February 2009, 09:35 PM
Hi John,
Had a couple of weeks there in 92 and a couple of over night stop overs as well.

I'm guessing things have changed a little since then though.

I really enjoyed the shopping, my wife loved the gold shops.

But probably most of all I enjoyed just hanging around the docks watching the Dhows loading and unloading, this place is the trading centre of the middle east and it weas amazing seeing what was being loaded onto these vessels.

Sleeping Dog
12th February 2009, 09:56 PM
Hey John,

Haven't been there myself, but my nephew spent a week there last month on the way back from London. He was really impressed, used words like "amazing, clean, impressive", said a week wasn't long enough. Go and see the "Dubai Tower" (as if you'd miss it), 818mt tall and not finished yet. Check out this site www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/

SD

John Saxton
13th March 2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks SD for that heads up on the Burj tower,was aware of it, 162 floors makes the buildings around the world touted as being tall look like chicken feed.

Some years back '76 to be exact visited the top of the twin towers in NY,was impressed then after just having been up the Empire State building.
This gave incredible views of the perspective of the size of NY city and surrounds and left a lasting memory long treasured.

I wonder at the engineering feat of such undertakings and at how high they can build and to what depth the foundations must be implemented to ..to sustain these buildings.

Will be sure to try and get some good photo's whilst there, thats if I can drag
SWMBO away from the jewellery arcades & stores.

ss_11000
13th March 2009, 02:14 PM
I will be in Dubai for 3 days early August:D. It looks like a pretty cool place:cool:

This is what i'll be doing:

Tour: Morning Half Day Sightseeing Tour
Inclusions:
Jumeirah Mosque (View from outside only)
Burj Al Arab (View from outside only)
Visit to Spice Souk
Visit to Gold Souk
Duration 4 Hours

Tour: Four Wheel Drive Excursion “Desert Safari”
Inclusions:
Dune Driving
Camel Ride
BBQ Dinner
Henna Painting
Belly Dancer
Duration 5 Hours

Tour: Morning Half Day Excursion to Sharjah
Inclusions:
King Faisal Mosque (View from outside only)
Visit to the Al Naboodah House
Entrance to Sharjah Archeological Museum
Visit to the Blue Souk
Duration 5 Hours

maybe you could flog some ideas off that list.:)

John Saxton
13th March 2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks Stirlo,got a couple of those lined up already, reckon we'll be stuffed on the first day arriving as we leave home 2.00 A.M.

The things we do....

But after recharging the batteries we'll go walkabout.

dai sensei
13th March 2009, 08:22 PM
Look forward to seeing pics John

prozac
19th March 2009, 10:57 PM
I will be in Dubai for 3 days early August:D. It looks like a pretty cool place:cool:

Tour: Morning Half Day Sightseeing Tour
Inclusions:
Jumeirah Mosque (View from outside only)
Burj Al Arab (View from outside only)
Visit to Spice Souk
Visit to Gold Souk
Duration 4 Hours

Tour: Four Wheel Drive Excursion “Desert Safari”
Inclusions:
Dune Driving
Camel Ride
BBQ Dinner
Henna Painting
Belly Dancer
Duration 5 Hours

Tour: Morning Half Day Excursion to Sharjah
Inclusions:
King Faisal Mosque (View from outside only)
Visit to the Al Naboodah House
Entrance to Sharjah Archeological Museum
Visit to the Blue Souk
Duration 5 Hours

maybe you could flog some ideas off that list.:)

I didn't know Maccas paid THAT well.:o

funkychicken
19th March 2009, 11:04 PM

Henna Painting
Belly Dancing
Duration 5 Hours

I'm a bit worried now Stirlo

fenderbelly
21st March 2009, 12:28 PM
John you have PM

Cheers Fred

John Saxton
21st March 2009, 01:08 PM
Like to give everyone a big thanks for the input and advice on a Dubai stopover.:2tsup:

Don't reckon I'll get a game of tennis on top o' the Burj...at those heights you'd probabably need to play with a parachute.:oo:

Still some time yet Oz $ starting to look a little better...but am not holding breath here!

ss_11000
22nd March 2009, 05:29 PM
I'm a bit worried now Stirlo
oh yeah, lets just quote things and delete parts of it:rolleyes::p

John Saxton
1st April 2009, 03:18 PM
Look forward to seeing pics John

That may now not happen in the immediate future Neil as all the travel plans have been cancelled as the wife has had to go to Hospital with a disc protrusion on her spine after an accident at work.:(
6 weeks on anti-biotics to treat an infection so all travel arrangements will now have to be re-visited at a time when she is fit to travel of course.

Disappointed naturally, but these things do happen so it will be many trips up to Perth and visiting in QE2 hospital before she will be allowed home I'm guessing.

dai sensei
1st April 2009, 09:42 PM
Sorry to hear it. All the best.

John Saxton
7th April 2009, 01:54 PM
With the trip cancelled with the wife being crook I have some U.A.E. currency that I'd like to exchange for Oz $$$ without losing more to the banks.

Anyone interested please PM me.