PDA

View Full Version : New improved Hotrod

scotty60
8th February 2009, 10:40 PM
Been busy pass few days producing another 3 hot hotrods with a few alterations.As you can see ive added headlights,radiator cap,drive belt,different motor and exhaust pipes.i think the changes look great.Just got to work out a price to sell them for any ideas.
cheers
Scott

Waldo
8th February 2009, 10:58 PM
Love 'em. :2tsup:

Price, that's the hardest thing. Maybe try some at a local market and see what people are willing to pay. :shrug:

AUSSIE
8th February 2009, 11:06 PM
No Idea What to charge for them Can you put pics on just below 800 x 600 so we can see them better please.?
Would suggest to make them in say 3 different sizes and see what people like.
# different prices and listen to their sarcastic comments and go from there.
Take a few price cards so you can alter them on the run at the market or wherever.
Or even ask them.Well what do you think is a fair price?

scotty60
8th February 2009, 11:32 PM
try these pics

AUSSIE
8th February 2009, 11:40 PM
Thats Better Scotty .Are these faster than the 1st model?
You are putting a lot of work into them to sell them!I forgot to ask what size are these ones? The dads at the market will want them,dont you think

scotty60
8th February 2009, 11:47 PM
Yeh They are faster then the first 1, did off picture so bit of plaaying around getting looking right.The size of them is 250 mm long, 140mm wide, yeh i hope dads will love them thats what im aiming at not kids.Friend of mine builds hotrods from scratch,has built a couple of the best in aus, hopeing alot of his customers will buy them when the build there rods.
Scott

Gra
8th February 2009, 11:54 PM
Looks like good swap meet fodder:2tsup:

Billy
9th February 2009, 02:10 PM
nice rods, koooool. i sell similar , but not as detailed ones at the markets for $25, have got up to $38 on ebay, though some of mine have been painted as requested by some buyers, i prefer to stain/varnish them and let the timber shine through. cheers, billy

AUSSIE
9th February 2009, 02:18 PM
nice rods, koooool. i sell similar , but not as detailed ones at the markets for $25, have got up to $38 on ebay, though some of mine have been painted as requested by some buyers, i prefer to stain/varnish them and let the timber shine through. cheers, billy

Hey Billy
How aboutya put a toy or two on board so we can see whatya do to make a $.:2tsup:

scotty60
15th February 2009, 09:10 PM
HERES A UPDATE, IVE DONE ANOTHER MOD BY ADDING A ROOF WITH MALTESE CROSS WINDOW. I HAVE TO CUT A NEW SCREEN TOMORROW AT WORK. ALL BODYS ARE NOW RUBBED DOWN WITH 320 GRIT READY FOR COATING TO WHICH IM UNSHORE WHAT TO USE ,SO IF ANY ONE HAS GOT ANY IDEAS WHAT WOULD BE BEST TO USE WOULD BE GREAT. I STILL HAVE TO TURN UP THE WHEELS YET, I WANT TO BUY A NEW THINNER PARTING TOOL FIRST. STILL NEED ADVICE ON PRICE ALSO.

:NZ3:

CHEERS

:tequila:

AUSSIE
15th February 2009, 10:21 PM
Scotty.
I am NO expert,but It would have been better to say rub danish oil etc on some of the parts before you glued it all together.
The motor .I would have dunked that then rubbed it off a few minutes later.Very hard to do when assembled as a full car.
Price?? Start at $30 and go up or down as the market dictates maybe
Edit I forgot about the inside.Do all this before the roof goes on,And clean where glue is going to go.

Billy
16th February 2009, 01:53 PM
:):)Gidday, yes Aussie I will put some pics up when I figure out how. I use "black Japan" stain for tyre areas, I use ply for them as the plys give a tread effect. Also cylinder heads I do in a darker stain than the engine block for a bit of contrast. Sometimes I use the upholstery tacks with large domed heads as hubcaps, sometimes chrome, gold , black, whatever looks good. I try to stain all the parts prior to assembly, easier that way and you dont have to worry about glue affecting stain areas, dont stain the areas to be glued. :2tsup:
Like the one with the roof, really cool. I will get some pics up soon, hotrods, tractors, toddlers toys etc.
Back to the sawdust factory:B

AUSSIE
16th February 2009, 02:57 PM
Billy
http://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/editor/smilie.gifhttp://image-mirror.cyanide.com.au/woodworkforums/images/editor/attach.gifClick on the down arrow beside the switch to get to attachments.pic files must be lessthan 800 x 600 from memory

mick59wests
16th February 2009, 03:55 PM
Scotty (and others),

how have you done the axles and attached the wheels? It looks like you have some cap on the outside of the axle. I am very interested how different people do this as I would say my own ones have been OK at the best - either threaded rod with nuts on either side of the wheel or a dowel with a turned cap glued on. I also have another small car (20mm long) that looks like they just used a nail.

thanks

Mick

Jim Carroll
16th February 2009, 05:11 PM
$30.00 you have got to be jokin.

With the amount of effort that has gone into these cars you would want a lot more than that.

Work out how long it takes you to make one and then your material cost and you will get a better idea.

Do not undersell yourself sell the product, if you get haglers then they did not really want it in the first place. You dictate the price but if you go too cheap then you have no where to go but lose more money.

Harry72
16th February 2009, 05:48 PM
Wicked... toy hotrods!
Nice work Scotty

AUSSIE
16th February 2009, 06:40 PM
Got your first customer above---Well back on the first page
6 hours x $50 per hour plus wood + glue + axles + sand paper + poly Say $5.00
Comes to $305.
I think there will be a lot of people willing to help you make them.Even the guys that could make them in an hour.
Hands up any toy maker that makes $50 an hour (making toys)

Jim Carroll
16th February 2009, 07:53 PM
Where did you get the $50.00 per hour from.

Buzza
16th February 2009, 07:56 PM
To make any piece of art sell a little better, make yourself a simple to do, but unique signature underneath or somewhere not too obvious.

Use a scribe to sign a name, then mark it in with indelible ink, before the final finish. Add the last two digits of the year completed. :wink:

AUSSIE
16th February 2009, 08:42 PM
Where did you get the $50.00 per hour from.
Its a half reasonable income working for your self,dont you think.Have a look at some of the threads.Guys are earning lot more than that

scotty60
16th February 2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the reply guys,
i was hoping to get around $200-$300 if possible,i think it is, were i want to sell them the boys and there toys(hotrods) will love them cause they cant get anything like that, but time will tell, and i am thinking of signing and dating or numbering them all also, each one is different in some way being hand made so no 2 will be the same. Theres no way i would sell for $30 to much time & effort put into them.It would be like me rebuilding a car doing body and paint work being worth around $20,000 - 30,000 and only charging the guy $1000. Will keep you informed

CHEERS

scotty60
16th February 2009, 09:11 PM
Mick59wests
The first one i did i used dowel,the second i one i counter sunk the wheel and put countersunk screw,now im using what you see, it acts like a chrome hubcap,it has a black plastic bush under the chrome cap to which it screws onto and the bush has a small 6mm shaft on it with a countersunk top where the countersunk screw goes in and then in between the body and wheel i but a 6mm bush to space it slightly off body,it is easy and looks great also.Hope this helps

CHEERS

AUSSIE
16th February 2009, 09:21 PM
Scotty,could we have a photo of this axle/hubcap setup please,and where you get them.Sorry to be trouble,but very interested.Looks good:2tsup:
Aussie

scotty60
16th February 2009, 09:30 PM
ill see if i can get pics tomorrow.
Maybe thats a new business selling them :2tsup: :no:

CHEERS

AUSSIE
16th February 2009, 09:36 PM
ill see if i can get pics tomorrow.
Maybe thats a new business selling them :2tsup: :no::tequila:

Could be.They look Great Mate:2tsup:

]

scotty60
18th February 2009, 08:37 PM
Had computer problems yesterday ,got it going then went to take pics all batterys were flat great night.Ok just finished taking them so here they are.

CHEERS

:drink2:

AUSSIE
18th February 2009, 09:28 PM
Had computer problems yesterday ,got it going then went to take pics all batterys were flat great night.Ok just finished taking them so here they are.

CHEERS

Look good Scotty
Where do you get the bush/black thing and chrome cap from:2tsup:Aussie

Billy
18th February 2009, 09:34 PM
finally got some photos up, check albums, billys wooden toys, love the hot rods, did you see the link from aussie to the really big models on the guys front lawn, awesome
cheers billy
back to the sawdust factory for me

scotty60
18th February 2009, 09:50 PM
Used in glass industry

CHEERS

Sawdust Maker
19th February 2009, 04:16 PM
Nice rods

I agree too much work in them for a mere $40. Not my cup of tea but I'd agree with the $200 - 300. Not sure they are they sort of thing you'd sell at a craft market. At the summer nats maybe

I've seen those mirror/glass fastners available in hardware stores, good idea that

scotty60
21st February 2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the comments Sawdust Maker

Just a bit of a update, Turned up another set of wheels and got one more set to turn.Ive decided to go with wipe on polyuathane on one of the rods so i got stuck into it today and got a couple of coats on it with a bit of a rub in between with some 1200 grit. Tomorrow ill give it another rub down with 2000 grit and put the final coat on. On one of the other rods i have stained the body, engine block and blower with rosewood stain and black stain on the tyres, heads, ram tube and seat.This one i will finish it off with a automotive 2 pack gloss clear. I most probaly apply 4 coats of clear let it dry, give it a rub down with 1200 - 1400 grit and give it a flow coat of clear.Will update in a day or so.

.:NZ3:

CHEERS

:drink2: :bbq2:

AUSSIE
21st February 2009, 08:35 PM
I am impressed.:2tsup:The stain really makes them.I love the black.What brand is it.I am going to Bunnys tomorrow.I hope they have it.
Also like the tapered dowels to hold the wheels while drying
AUSSIE

scotty60
21st February 2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks Aussie

Yeh the brand is feast watson prooftint, got 50ml bottle for $7.20 i think it was.

CHEERS

scotty60
22nd February 2009, 08:42 PM
Today i rubbed down the body and parts of wipe on poly and gave it the final coat. Its not quit the finish i was expecting but i spose its doesnt look to bad.After it drying for 4 hrs or so i put it together finishing that one off. The next project was getting the clear onto the stained body and parts,once that was done i manage to get the first build rubbed down and also cleared with 2 pack automotive clear, both look great. Also i put up a pic of another toy im in the process of building.

CHEERS

Ruddy
23rd February 2009, 08:27 AM
Nice work Scotty..
I bet the kids love the hot rods.........I think I may have to pinch your ideas and make one for the kids...
Ruddy

scotty60
23rd February 2009, 08:34 PM
THANKS FOR THE COMMENT RUDDY

JUST POSTING UPDATE PICS OF THE STAINED ROD AND THE FIRST ROD I ASSEMBLED THIS AFTERNOON, HOPE YOU LIKE

CHEERS

:tequila: :bbq2:

AUSSIE
23rd February 2009, 09:32 PM
The cars are looking Great Mate.
Is it 2 pack or Nitro you have used
I am looking at buying a gun(I used to rebuild cars years ago for a hobby but all my gear has long gone and I am out of touch) What do you think I should buy?

scotty60
23rd February 2009, 10:03 PM
THE PINE 1 IS DONE IN WIPE ON POLY I GOT FROM BUNNINGS BUT NOT REALLY INPRESSED WITH,THE RED ONE IS DONE WITH 2 PACK CLEAR, IM A SPRAY PAINTER / PANEL BEATER BY TRADE SO I PEFER THE 2 PACK, HAVE LOTS IN STOCK ALSO,BUT IM LOOKING MAYBE AT DOING SOME IN NITRO CELLULOSE LAQUER, ACRLIC LAQUER AND OTHER DIFFERENT FINISHES. I LIKE TO EXPERIMENT WITH THINGS AND ALWAYS FIND BETTER WAYS OF DOING THING SAME AS WHEN IM COOKING ILL ALWAYS PUT BIT THIS BIT THAT TO SEE HOW IT TURNS OUT IF NO GOOD DONT DO AGAIN. IVE BIULT A SEMI TRAILER FOR MY SON FOR A SCHOOL PROJECT WHICH WAS MY FIRST TIMBER TOY THAT I BUILT IN 2 DAYS.I COPIED IT FROM A PLASTIC MODEL HE HAD WITH THAT I JUST USED ACRYLIC PRIMER SURFACER OVER THE RAW TIMBER NEXT DAY GAVE IT A RUB DOWN AND PAINTED IT ACRYLIC OUT AN AREOSOL CAN.NEXT WAS A BI PLANE I BUILT AND I PAINTED IT THE SAME WAY, BOTH LOOK QUITE GOOD (C PICS)YEH SO I WONT BE STICKING TO JUST ONE COATING ILL BE TRYING HEAPS, EVEN GOING TO TRY A FINISH THAT LOOKS LIKE DIFFERENT METALS.LOOKS LIKE ILL USE A BIT OF SANDING SEALER WHICH I USED ON THE FIRST MODEL PICS UP TONIGHT ITS LIKE A CLEAR PRIMER THAT FILLS THE GRAIN SO IT GIVE IT A GOOD BASE FOR THE CLEAR OR COLOUR WHICH I WILL PAINT SOME UP IN COLOUR MAYBE EVEN WITH FLAMES.HOPE THIS HELPS
PS THANKS FOR THAT LINK IVE ORDER THE MAG + ANOTHER ONE

CHEERS

:tequila: :bbq2:

Billy
24th February 2009, 10:54 AM
love the look of the rosewood stain,:2tsup: thats awesome, gonna try it on some stuff here,:rolleyes: how many coats to get that shine? or is that cleared? :U
back to the sawdust factory for me
billy

Waldo
24th February 2009, 11:07 AM
Scotty60,

Your cars are looking great. :2tsup:

Maybe you know of or have heard of this bloke, http://www.rohanday.com/

He does some serious artwork within the hotrod scene in Australia and more widely in the American market, for which I've done some work for. Contact him and tell him I've put him onto you and if he says, "Waldo?", say "Waldo from BrandHOUSE", and he'll twig.

He might be able to help out and give you pointers in which direction you might be able to sell your cars.

Some of his work below:

Billy
24th February 2009, 02:26 PM
hiya Scotty60, is that glass or acrylic or something you use for the windscreen?:rolleyes:
Im thinking of putting a roof on one of my rods and taking the windscreen up to it to support the roof. How does your roof stay up?
sawdust sawdust everywhere:doh:
cheers
billy
:2tsup:

scotty60
24th February 2009, 08:57 PM
THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS BILLY AND WALDO,

I PUT 4 COAT OF 2 PACK CLEAR OVER THE ROSEWOOD STAIN TO GET THE DEEP GLOSS, AND AS FOR THE WINDSCREEN IT IS GLASS. IN THE PICTURE HOLDING THE ROOF UP I HAVE A PIECE OF TIMBER AT THE BACK BUT I WILL CUT A NEW SCREEN AT WORK TOMORROW SO THE ROOF WILL BE SITTING ON THE SCREEN.
STILL TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT ILL DO WITH THAT ONE, WETHER TO GO CLEAR OVER THE PINE OR STAINING, MAYBE PURPLE BODY, GREEN HEADS AND INTAKE, BLACK WHEELS.OR EVEN DOING IT IN HARLIQUIN PEARL $1500 A LITRE WHICH CHANGES COLOUR DIFFERENT ANGLES, SO STAY TURNED YOULL SEE WHICH WAY I GO.
WALDO THANKS FOR THE LINK AND PICS THEY ARE BLOODY AWESOME,AFTER I FINISH TYPING HERE ILL GO CHECK HIS WEBPAGE OUT, BUT IM VERY IMPRESSED I LIKE DRAWING ALSO,

CHEERS

Groggy
24th February 2009, 08:59 PM
(Psst, Scotty, all capitals is considered shouting)

scotty60
24th February 2009, 09:06 PM
no worries wont to make sure people hear me

CHEERS

AUSSIE
24th February 2009, 09:51 PM
(Psst, Scotty, all capitals is considered shouting)
Its OK for you young guys Groggy.
Us old farts cant hear a thing if Scotty don't shout,Soooo go play with your own toys.:2tsup::D

scotty60
28th February 2009, 08:20 PM
just a update

still got to turn up some wheels for hotrod with roof and also make a new motor.used it on another model and decided on paint scheme.im open to any surgestions.

CHEERS

scotty60
11th March 2009, 07:31 PM
[quote=scotty60;905923]just a update

still got to turn up some wheels for hotrod with roof and also make a new motor.used it on another model and i have to decided on paint scheme.im open to any surgestions.

CHEERS

:drink2: :bbq2:[./quote]

Ruddy
11th March 2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Scotty.
Have you ever tried the Chrome Spray cans. The good quality (not $2 shop stuff) spray can paint can give some exceptional results especially if you prepare the part with a few coats of sealer and some elbow work with say 360 grit or 600 grit wet and dry.They also make some great Gold that can be effective.

Ruddy

scotty60
11th March 2009, 10:06 PM
Hi Ruddy

Yes i have tried them got gold here already this new one is very close to chrome were the other ones are like silver.Check out the link and see all the different finishes youll be amazed.http://alsacorp.com/paints.htm

scotty

http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/flags/aussie5.gif

CHEERS

http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/drinkers/tequila.gif http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/big/bbq2.gif

Ruddy
12th March 2009, 08:24 AM
Scotty.
I had a look at that site you recommended and you were right...I was amazed. Fantastic.

Ruddy

BrettG
27th April 2009, 02:46 AM
Hey scotty60 ~ great designs and craftsmanship mate! cars are always a winner .

Ummm.. being a newb here I don't want to stand on any toes, but my old man did the markets scene with wooden toys for many years, and he learnt a lot of tricks and traps, you wouldn't believe some of damage some toys have come back with ( How the F*****..) Not to mention the whole PC 'kid safe' stuff is a little out of control these days. So I'd like to make a few suggestions about the designs etc.. don't shoot me!

Regardless of who buys your work, you can guarantee it will end up in the hands of kids sooner or later.

The roof version looks great, however it'll get busted and may leave some nasty sharp bits, for little Johnny to beat his sister over the head with. * Easily fixed by adding two pieces of dowel ( or even bamboo) to the front ( down through the top to the dashboard) OR by adding the windscreen and attaching up into the roof.

The windscreen version looks kewl! I'd strongly recommend lowering it and rounding the corners. Kids have great imaginations, it only has to be a representation and they'll do the rest.

The engine's look mean! although I recon the blower will bite the dust in a fall ( or temper tantrum) keep it definitely, just lower it slightly and make it a little stockier + maybe even rebate it into the block or dowel it into the block.

Just some observations mate, please take it as just that. Every design that comes out of your imagination is good.

If there's a way to break it, kids will find a way. The old fella had two general rules of thumb, if you drop it a few times and bits break off ~ redesign it. That doesn't mean you have to make solid blocks, just modify any weak/ stress points. The second is run your hands all over the job ~ NO sharp bits.

Just my two cents worth but it can make the difference between a selling item and a table flower.

cheers

Yonnee
30th April 2009, 06:50 PM
My guess would be that Scotty's models are more display models rather than toys.

I never let my kids near my plastic model Corvettes while they were little, and now they're 6 & 9, they know to ask before looking, and that they're out of bounds when Dad's not around, as well as being out of reach.

scotty60
30th April 2009, 09:03 PM
As Yonnee said they are display only for big kids

scotty

:aussie5:

CHEERS

scotty60
29th June 2009, 07:30 PM
Yeh broke the 3000 barrier.

Will get back to it when chopper finished.

AUSSIE
29th June 2009, 08:05 PM
Yeh broke the 3000 barrier.

Will get back to it when chopper finished.
I am looking forward to that.
Also congrats for 3000 Scotty you deserve it mate:2tsup:

scotty60
29th June 2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks Aussie ill be looking foward to it to but still quite abit of work in the chopper to do yet.