PDA

View Full Version : Identification help required

Thumbthumper
9th February 2009, 08:12 PM
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help identifying some old tools I've picked up in a mixed lot (I bought the lot for a 19mm Berg chisel that I needed for my set).

Pic 1 and 2 : Some sort of clamp. Both sides are sprung and are lined with cork (in the 'V' section and immediately above the 'V'). It's about 250mm in length.

Pic 3 and 4 : I'm thinking these are some sort of sheet metal shears ?

Pic 5 and 6 : Some sort of scratch awl ?

I'm a user and not a collector, so it would be great to able to actually use these tools (maybe wishful thinking)

Thanks in anticipation,
Stu

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2009, 08:20 PM
1&2 looks like part of a clamp set up as used in a Mad Scientist's lab for holding glassware (tubes, etc.) in a stand. :)

2&3 I'd pick as an old-school can opener.

5&6 looks remarkably like oneof my awls after SWMBO has "borrowed" it. (They don't look like that beforehand though. :sigh:)

Thumbthumper
9th February 2009, 08:32 PM
1&2 looks like part of a clamp set up as used in a Mad Scientist's lab for holding glassware (tubes, etc.) in a stand. :)
Good thought...it would hold a couple of test tubes on a stand

2&3 I'd pick as an old-school can opener.
The thought crossed my mind, but the cutting section is about 75mm(3") long...would be pretty industrial

5&6 looks remarkably like oneof my awls after SWMBO has "borrowed" it. (They don't look like that beforehand though. :sigh:)
:U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th February 2009, 08:38 PM
The thought crossed my mind, but the cutting section is about 75mm(3") long...would be pretty industrial

yep. I was thinking along the lines of an old restaurant or cafeteria or similar, where the two gallon sized cans weren't unusual. :)

My mum used to buy 'em full of Baked Beans - 40 years later and I still blanch at the sight of Baked Beans... [shudder]

weisyboy
9th February 2009, 08:44 PM
the first one is a dodad
the second is a thingymabob
and the last is quite obviously a whatchamcallit.