PDA

View Full Version : copy turning thingy

weisyboy
10th February 2009, 07:23 PM
i need to turn 10 spindles for the back of sompthing or other and they all need to be identicle.

we all know the copy turning attachments leave ????? finish and the amount needing to be sanded makes them not so identicle.

what do you guys think about making sompthing up for a router to fit in. a v grove bit should be able to cut most profiles and leave a reasonable finish.

is is doable?

echnidna
10th February 2009, 07:56 PM
google router crafter and have a look at the pics

weisyboy
10th February 2009, 08:22 PM
interesting......

Jim Carroll
10th February 2009, 09:13 PM
10 is easy to do all the same.
Give it a go.

echnidna
10th February 2009, 09:57 PM
I agree with Jim, 10 is easy enough to do,
copy attachments are a whole lot of messing around

weisyboy
10th February 2009, 10:51 PM
yer yer i know.

but i also have plans to make some other things tht require a lot more.

but they are in the things id like to do box not the thigs im gunna do.

joe greiner
10th February 2009, 11:29 PM
All 10 IDENTICAL? Everything is easy for the man who doesn't have to do it. How much variation is required along the spindle profile?

Consider this instead: http://www.delorie.com/wood/tips/parallax-jig.html

Joe

Slow6
11th February 2009, 12:06 AM
Gday Carl:)

I'm always surprised how much you can deviate in a batch of spindles and get away with calling them identical.

The hardest part is remembering that 99.9% of the population aren't wood turners and can't see where you strayed... and the other 0.1% will just appreciate the fact that the job was done by hand.

If a job entailed enough spindles that i really couldn't face standing in front of a lathe for days I think I'd outsource.. I used to use classic woodturning in melbourne who spit out rails posts and knobs by the thousand for hardware chains and whatnot, for custom jobs there's a small charge for the on site turner to knock up the first one and then a machine spits out the rest. I'm sure there would be a similar mob near you.

but anyway, for 10 I reckon you can fudge it easy.. my moneys down for 11 spindles for 10 keepers:2tsup:

echnidna
11th February 2009, 10:11 AM
this is where the much belittled symtec wood lathe would come into it's own

killerbeast
11th February 2009, 06:29 PM
10 identical... ?? turn 15 choose the ones that look most alike :-) (I do that it works...) or tur and keep turning till you hit the spot... makes gooooood pratice

weisyboy
11th February 2009, 07:26 PM
10 identical... ?? turn 15 choose the ones that look most alike ) (I do that it works...) or tur and keep turning till you hit the spot... makes gooooood pratice

sounds a good idea only teh bloke is suplying 10 peices of walnut.

munruben
11th February 2009, 07:46 PM
sounds a good idea only teh bloke is suplying 10 peices of walnut.That could be a problem.:)

killerbeast
11th February 2009, 08:10 PM
ah.... yes.. then you get to play measure measure measure :-) but still only 10 pices is a risk.. one could be bad or split...

weisyboy
11th February 2009, 10:47 PM
thats what i told him.

he got this stuff especialy adn there is sompthing special about it or sompthing.

i might tell him i cant do it.

seems like to mutch risk.

killerbeast
11th February 2009, 11:32 PM
nope dont tell him you cant tell him (like i do) tis gonna be EXPENSIVE !! hehe

Big Shed
15th February 2009, 09:45 AM
This (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110351297312&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123) will do the job for you Carl

killerbeast
16th February 2009, 05:04 PM
well i just made 12 new legs for some chesterfield sofas... used my own medicin. made 13 and picked the 12 that looked most alike...

I stated turning them with measurements and a cardboard template.. did 2 that way and did the rest by eyeball.. and the by eyeball way was the easiest, and produced the bedst results... They look alike but if you meassure, they are not... but hey.. looks are the most important..

what are you turning ? table legs or ??

weisyboy
16th February 2009, 08:03 PM
it as going to be back slats for a chair i think.

i told him to go elseware.

joe greiner
17th February 2009, 12:37 AM
it as going to be back slats for a chair i think.

i told him to go elseware.

Good recommendation. Elsewhere can perform miracles, using elseware. He does everything perfectly, at absolutely lowest cost, no waste to be recycled, and finishes before he's begun, so the schedule isn't impacted. He harms no animals in the performance of his miracles. His carbon footprint is zero. &c, &c, &c.

Cheers,
Joe