PDA

View Full Version : Help - Treating Turning Stock with Pentacryl

Wilson_TN_37086
11th February 2009, 06:06 AM
Help Wanted.

I am new to using Pentacryl.

I have begun to treat several pieces of wood and now I want to solicite any and all who have any experience with this product.

I have the following.

1 - 1.5 X 1.5 X 18 Ebony - Kiln Dried
1 - 1.5 x 1.5 x 18 Birds eye maple - ?
1 - 3 x 3 x 12 Madrone Burl - Green
3 - 1.5 x 1.5 x 12 Pyinma - Green
1 - 1.5 x 1.5 x 18 Tiger Maple - ?

All of these were soaked in water to the directions and then soaked in the pentacrly per the directions as well.

They have been hung to dry (2nd day now)

Does anyone have any idea as to how long I may have to wait till I can begin to turn these.

I am planning to use these pieces for building a couple Pool Cues.

Any comments questions or concerns are welcomed.

Thank You

Rum Pig
11th February 2009, 09:02 AM
I may sound silly asking this but if I don't ask I wont find out

What is Pentacryl:?:?

Grumpy John
11th February 2009, 09:32 AM

What is Pentacryl:?:?

Google is your friend, I always use it when I come across a term I'm not familar with :D.

PENTACRYL
TECHNICAL SHEET
Pentacryl, a compound of Siliconized polymers, was originally developed for the treatment of waterlogged wood. It has since been marketed for woodcarving and woodturning to keep green wood from cracking and splitting. PENTACRYL will not discolor the wood, is non-hydroscopic, will not oxidize, decompose or migrate in the wood when exposed to different degrees of temperature and relative humidity.
Tests have been carried out for over 3 years with excellent results. Many types of wood have been treated including Eastern White Pine, Basswood, Tupelo, Walnut, Applewood, Hawthorne, Cherry, Rock Maple, Soft Maple, Ash, and others. Since fruitwoods are very difficult to dry, we have listed some tips in treating some of these difficult to dry woods later in this write UP.
PENTACRYL can be brushed on, sprayed on, or the wood can be immersed into a 100% solution of PENTACRYL. Although soaking is the preferred method, excellent results are still obtained by the brushing or spraying methods.
When the wood that has been treated with PENTACRYL has dried, the wood can be finished with various finishes.

TTIT
11th February 2009, 09:37 AM

What is Pentacryl:?:?I was waiting for one of the other Yanks to explain :shrug: but GJ fixed that :doh: Wonder if it's available here ............ yeah, yeah, I know ..... Google is my friend right :;

Grumpy John
11th February 2009, 09:40 AM
.................Wonder if it's available here ............ yeah, yeah, I know ..... Google is my friend right :;

I'm waiting for Jim or Neil to answer that one. :rolleyes:

added: Looks like this subject (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=30054&page=2) has been discussed before.

robutacion
11th February 2009, 12:03 PM
Google is your friend, I always use it when I come across a term I'm not familar with :D.

PENTACRYL
TECHNICAL SHEET
Pentacryl, a compound of Siliconized polymers, was originally developed for the treatment of waterlogged wood. It has since been marketed for woodcarving and woodturning to keep green wood from cracking and splitting. PENTACRYL will not discolor the wood, is non-hydroscopic, will not oxidize, decompose or migrate in the wood when exposed to different degrees of temperature and relative humidity.
Tests have been carried out for over 3 years with excellent results. Many types of wood have been treated including Eastern White Pine, Basswood, Tupelo, Walnut, Applewood, Hawthorne, Cherry, Rock Maple, Soft Maple, Ash, and others. Since fruitwoods are very difficult to dry, we have listed some tips in treating some of these difficult to dry woods later in this write UP.
PENTACRYL can be brushed on, sprayed on, or the wood can be immersed into a 100% solution of PENTACRYL. Although soaking is the preferred method, excellent results are still obtained by the brushing or spraying methods.
When the wood that has been treated with PENTACRYL has dried, the wood can be finished with various finishes.

Yeah, I'm amazed that our timber products suppliers haven't make that line of products available in Australia. From what all the data available on these 2 products, they are single or together, the solution required for so many of us. I'm a little concerned about at what price base these products could be sold here, as for what I can see from the US prices, it is expensive. This could be easily by-passed if the product does do what the manufacturer claims.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Wilson_TN_37086
12th February 2009, 05:54 AM
Thank You for the OBVIOUS - Google does not have every answer
FYI My professional background Industrial Product Research and Development and Testing commonly work with adhesives Plastics and the like
I am not trying to be a Jerk by no means
I have searched Google for several months and have not found what I am looking for
I was posting this question looking for someone the uses the product
Drying time 3 wks to 3 yrs
Many claim that they have used it yet they dont say what they experienced in the drying time for them
<O:p</O:p

Thank All of You for Your Reply Even those that are just TOO Obvious

Grumpy John
12th February 2009, 07:08 AM
Wilson, my google reference was for Rum Pig's benefit (as indicated by the quote at the top of the post), sorry if you thought it was in response to your question.

Wilson_TN_37086
12th February 2009, 09:05 AM
John,

Thank you for clearing the air.:doh:

I have posted too many time elsewhere and found many many people that thought they knew it all.

It would be nice to find a forum that was truely used for "Helping Everyone"with a question.

Again, Thank You for any Feedback.

Wilson.:2tsup:

RETIRED
12th February 2009, 10:06 AM
Don't know if you have seen this. Read the PDF file on case studies. It may help.

http://www.preservation-solutions.com/product.php?category_id=1000&product_id=1003

Robomanic
12th February 2009, 12:23 PM
John,

Thank you for clearing the air.:doh:

I have posted too many time elsewhere and found many many people that thought they knew it all.

It would be nice to find a forum that was truely used for "Helping Everyone"with a question.

Again, Thank You for any Feedback.

Wilson.:2tsup:

I think you will find a lot of help here, there are lots of well meaning people that will help where they can. Good luck with your problems.