PDA

View Full Version : How's this for customer service?

Driver
20th May 2004, 06:40 PM
Back in February I bought an old Stanley #18 knuckle-cap block plane. It's a fine old piece of kit and it has what is almost certainly the original blade. The blade cuts well and takes and holds an edge - as you might expect with an older plane like this.

However, the plane has been well used and the blade won't last forever.

Shortly after I bought the plane, I was having an idle look at the Lie-Nielsen Toolworks website. Lie-Nielsen make blades for non-LN planes and it occurred to me they might make one to fit my #18. I searched the site and it wasn't apparent from the information available that they made such a blade. So I used the email facility on the site to ask the question.

I got a quick reply from Tom Lie-Nielsen, asking me to send a tracing of the blade. I did this and he emailed straight back saying that he didn't make a blade that size but maybe he should and if I was prepared to wait a little while, he would make one for me! I told him I had bought a couple of Lie-Nielsen plane blades and I was delighted with the quality so I was happy to wait.

I got an email yesterday. Tom has made two blades for me and they have been despatched - I should see them next week. I'm quite sure they'll be everything I expect in terms of quality.

My reason for posting this is to acknowledge really good customer service. Tom Lie-Nielsen's products are justifiably held in high esteem for their excellence of design and manufacture. It's great to know that his company's service and willingness to do the unusual matches up.

Col

Wood Borer
20th May 2004, 06:54 PM
Driver,

I couldn't agree more with your comments. Thomas Lie Nielsen makes top quality tools that work well and are a pleasure to use. Your experience with the company is consistent with my dealings and the dealings of others who contact them.

Show us a picture when you recieve them.

Highly recommended on all aspects.

- Wood Borer

(I am sure there are some apostrophes missing but so what)

kenmil
20th May 2004, 08:40 PM
Your apostrophes (or lack of them) are fine.

(Note to HOVO........Make the next spelling hint the one about i before e except after c)

MrFixIt
20th May 2004, 09:16 PM
Hi

Your apostrophes (or lack of them) are fine.

(Note to HOVO........Make the next spelling hint the one about i before e except after c)
What's this?

Is this really meant in fun? or is it a surreptitious afront to the spelling,grammatically or syntactically challenged?

After the "spelling nazi" debacle, I for one would prefer NOT to see these kinds of messages. This could be interpreted as "I'm not a spelling nazi really, but I'll just get my little digs in where I can".

I apologise if my interpretation is wrong, however the lack of such comments across the board (pun intended) would REALLY be appreciated by myself and I hope other members.

Kenmil, PLEASE do not take offence to this message it is meant sincerely and not in any way disparaging to you or other members. I will be very happy if ABSOLUTELY NOBODY responds to THIS message and just accepts its desired plea for harmony.

very sincerely

Driver
21st May 2004, 01:18 PM

WB

I'll do that with pleasure! :)

Col

derekcohen
22nd May 2004, 12:38 PM
Col

That's nice to hear. Not for the first time, I might add. Thomas L-N has a great rep for making custom blades on request. It just did not occur to me to do this and I went to the Rev Ron Hock for this blade, which he does make and stock. I use it in my #65 (same size blade as the #18) and it is truly excellent. But I bit pricey I thought at the time. I need another for my #18 so yours is going to come under scrutiny.

Derek

gatiep
22nd May 2004, 06:06 PM
MRFIXIT........you have summed up my feelings on the subject 100%

Regards
Joe

Robert WA
22nd May 2004, 06:36 PM
"I" before "E"????
Only in the Irish alphabet, surely!!!

derekcohen
22nd May 2004, 07:05 PM
Is this really meant in fun?

Peter

Don't take Ken literally. He is really teasing. His problem is that he likes to light fires and then stand back and watch the flames and commotion. He neither seems to know when to quit, that is, when it is no longer a joke, nor that no one is laughing.

Kind regards from Perth

Derek

Driver
25th May 2004, 05:04 PM

Here's the photo. The new blades arrived today. That's not bad: 5 days from the east coast of the USA.

This isn't a great photo (must get a better camera!) but I can tell you that the blades look terrific: excellent quality, 3 mm thick and the edge doesn't look like it'll need much work to take a fine shaving.

I'll fit one into the plane on the weekend and try it out. More later!

Regards

Col