PDA

View Full Version : How to unwarp?

valiant_freak
12th February 2009, 10:02 AM
G'day all,
This is my first post as I have no idea how to solve this problem and no-one but the internet to ask..
I recently "salvaged" a chest of drawers from a chicken shed of a long-abandoned farmhouse. I think it is made from Australian Cedar, and certainly it is extremely old. I estimate around 1850s. It was lying unpainted in the weather at a 45degree angle in a leaky chicken shed (for at least 2.5 years and almost certainly much much longer) and was extensively attacked by borers. It is of the type where there are two lower drawers which run the length of the piece and two upper drawers which are side by side and approximately square. These upper two are missing, although the rest is complete. It's a very big job as the piece is in quite poor condition. I have fixed furniture before, but this has a problem which I do not know how to tackle. The pieces which make it up have been warped by their time in the weather. Even thicker pieces like the drawer faces have warpage. Can this be fixed? I don't want to get all of the surfaces level by planing them flat as this would be easily noticable. On the other hand, I don't want to spend ages fixing it up only to end up with a piece that looks like it belongs back in the chicken shed.

How can I fix this warpage?

Cheers,
Ryan

hap97
12th February 2009, 05:27 PM
This drawer unit sounds similar to one I found in a second hand shop for $50. Missing the lower drawer. It is now a drawer/basket cabinet in a local shop for over $800!
Photo shows the developments in its transition.

Unfortunately it is the top drawers that are taken out for storage boxes. Maybe put in a shelf at the top, buy a couple of baskets to suit. This makes a modern piece of furniture.

I would not be concerned with the wood warping, as this is a natural phenomenon of timber.

Have a go,
Regards
Hilton

valiant_freak
13th February 2009, 09:25 AM
Exactly, only a bit narrower so the two top drawers are square. The top ones are missing, and the warpage is pretty easily noticable: a little bit too much character!
I think I'll knock it to pieces, then soak the worst pieces and flatten them with bricks to see if that helps. The missing top drawers I will measure to see if anyone on here can sell me some Australian Cedar to make some more. I will post pics soon, but imagine if your set was left out in the weather for years..that's what mine looks like..

Ryan

toolbagsPLUS
13th February 2009, 09:41 AM
Valiant_freak, Soaking it in water and pressing would be my best suggestion as well, once wetness gets inside it should swell the fibers to an equal size. My mode of thinking is that if it's stuffed now it can only get better by trying such things. If all else fails you're back to square one. Give it A GO:)

Cheer

Steve

astrid
13th February 2009, 08:28 PM
carefully take off the fronts trying not to damage the dovetails
soak then put the timber convex side up, in the sun.

when its dry, seal the convex side with a thick coat of shellac

valiant_freak
16th February 2009, 09:58 AM
Not much sun to lay them in over the weekend (and the warps are all over the place) but I soaked the pieces in the bath for about 6hours, then laide them on the verandah and weighed them down with 3doz bricks. It worked! The top is almost perfect, and will be perfect when nailed, and the drawer fronts are just as good. Hit the whole thing with a pressure cleaner yesterday, which turned the old silvered timber into shiny new stuff, just like it has been sanded. The loose pieces are now on top of each other, uner bricks again, just in case they try any funny business before they are reassembled. Next step is to rub with steel wool, throw some filler and shellac at it, then start looking for timber for new drawers. Have taken before and after pics and will add these to future message.