PDA

View Full Version : hi

new_guy90
12th February 2009, 08:06 PM
hey everyone i just want to say hi. im sort of new well i normally stick to the wood turning forum but well ill explain ..........im 16 at the moment and i left school at the end of last year .........started some wood turning and really like it ........now i have started a job this week as a CNC machinist. i love metal work and have done a fair bit of manual machining at the railway workshops and really want to be able to do what i want when i want at home .......maybe in a few years ill find a good lathe and miller and for home use ........the place i am at is really good they do small batch stuff so im not stuck on 1 job for months on end (just a few weeks lol) im only starting so dont ask me to make you guys anything as all i do is push a button! im on a large mill and i know how to turn the machine on and off, to send to the tool home and to move it a bit .......cant wait to get on the lathes :p its hard to describe how good these machines are you just have to see it to believe it. ill keep posting stuff here as well some projects i have lined up to do at home.

Patrick

Claw Hama
12th February 2009, 08:17 PM
Hi Patrick, ahhh all these options ahead of you, many doors to open and paths to follow, sounds like you will enjoy all the challenges these different tasks will bring. Ever job or process you lean is more knowledge to stick away in the grey matter. Suck it all in and enjoy the journey.

bollie7
12th February 2009, 08:29 PM
WOT? a young bloke that doesn't want to sit on his bum, playing computer games, thinking the world owes him a living and blaming everyone else for all his problems? Do they still exist?

Seriously, great to see a young bloke who is prepared to have a go to make something of his life. Gdonyamate!!!

bollie7

the camster
12th February 2009, 08:31 PM
:)
hey everyone i just want to say hi. im sort of new well i normally stick to the wood turning forum but well ill explain ..........im 16 at the moment and i left school at the end of last year .........started some wood turning and really like it ........now i have started a job this week as a CNC machinist. i love metal work and have done a fair bit of manual machining at the railway workshops and really want to be able to do what i want when i want at home .......maybe in a few years ill find a good lathe and miller and for home use ........the place i am at is really good they do small batch stuff so im not stuck on 1 job for months on end (just a few weeks lol) im only starting so dont ask me to make you guys anything as all i do is push a button! im on a large mill and i know how to turn the machine on and off, to send to the tool home and to move it a bit .......cant wait to get on the lathes :p its hard to describe how good these machines are you just have to see it to believe it. ill keep posting stuff here as well some projects i have lined up to do at home.

Patrick

yeah dude! .. get into it! I just joined tonight and am trying to figure out how this system works. Yours is the first one I've figured out how to reply to. ...sorry.
machines are cool! - you really need to know what to do with your'e obvious enthusiasm and skills. There is a lot more to investigate however! - learn some drawing, cadcam etc and understand why and when your'e turning the sucker on and off - explore your'e own design ideas and good luck!
regards ... the camster.

the camster
12th February 2009, 08:35 PM
just typed an entire essay in the wrong bloody window. anyway the gist of the message was - good luck

new_guy90
13th February 2009, 09:02 PM
thanks everyone for replying. today marks the end of my first week at work and it has been a good one! this week i was on a Mazak NC mill and next week they are going to put me on the lathes, they said that in 8 months ill learn all i need to know to write simple programs (yeah these machines are very different to manual machines). before all this i had done work experience for the railway at there machine shop and i learned so much there like manual turning, thread cutting, milling and tool and cutter grinding. after this i got the bug! i do a lot of research into machinery for my own satisfaction and one day would love to make my own lathes, millers, grinders and tooling ........for me designing and making this stuff is half the fun :U first off i want to make a wood lathe i already have a few good ideas so when the opportunity arises ill start putting something together (i wonder if they will let me write a program to turn a spindle with 2nd MT to learn :)) the company im with is big it has lots of CNC machines as well as lots of grinding equipment.

im very happy at this company im at and im picking it all up very quickly. cant wait to start Tafe and make something useful for the shop oh and the pay is nice

Patrick

Edit: as a i dable in wood turning i have made pens and i use them all the time! even at work but i really want to get some stainless and some click pens kits so i have a nice good working pen for when i have grease/coolant covered hands .........actuality its a good idea full stop! and would be a simple program to start learning (ill just have to give the boss one lol)

John H
14th February 2009, 10:01 AM
Goodonya Patrick. Don't forget to drop in the CNC forum (http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170) if you were looking at doing some CNC stuff at home. I reckon the guys would be pretty interested in seeing some of the machines you use at work too.

new_guy90
14th February 2009, 06:32 PM
Goodonya Patrick. Don't forget to drop in the CNC forum (http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=170) if you were looking at doing some CNC stuff at home. I reckon the guys would be pretty interested in seeing some of the machines you use at work too.

i have been a member of the CNCzone.com for a long time now .......ill have to have a look at that CNC forum

Patrick