PDA

View Full Version : lettering

gdf26562
13th February 2009, 04:07 PM
Dear Peoples

I am currently working on a game, which I need to add numbers and words to parts of it, its all timber.

The size I was looking for is L 40mm x W 20mm, preferably in gold.

I had a look in spot light and bunnings but no luck. Would anyone have a clue as to where I might get them, I did google it and all i seemed to come up with was ebay, and they didn't really explain them.

I am preferably after transfers but will do stickers.

yours in hope
Graham

echnidna
13th February 2009, 05:10 PM
You can print your own decals (transfers) on decal paper. Here is a link (http://www.lifelongmemories.com.au/onlinestore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=153) to one aussie supplier

joe greiner
13th February 2009, 10:23 PM
Try Google [letraset australia] for possible sources of dry-transfer lettering. Gold might be a challenge, though - same with the decals.

Joe

HazzaB
13th February 2009, 10:30 PM
Hey Graham,

Try the local $2.00 Shop, I just did some clocks for some Harley Heads and they got some transfers from the $2 shop and they come up a treat, you can get all types of fonts and sizes, I just stuck them on and covered with Enviro Tek (Pour on Epoxy) looked Brilliant.:2tsup:

HazzaB

Yonnee
15th February 2009, 08:27 AM
Try Google [letraset australia] for possible sources of dry-transfer lettering. Gold might be a challenge, though - same with the decals.

Joe

I've used 'Letraset' before on a timber dash insert I made for my Gemini. I made a replacement for the plastic radio surround / heater control panel, which required the heater control labels. I used the letraset decals, then clear varnished over them. You used to be able to get them from Newsagents, but I haven't seen them in a little while, although I haven't been looking.

They were available in all sorts of fonts, as well as Gold.

gdf26562
15th February 2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your replies, I have had a look at all of them and yet to decide which way to goown printe. I don't have my own printer which makes for a problem, but thanks again.

Graham

pugwash
15th February 2009, 01:07 PM
Letraset (dry transfer lettering) is the way to go . Try art supply shops.
Also scrapbooking shops. I've seen lots of stuff in them.

keju
17th February 2009, 10:27 PM
could you scroll letters out of thin MDF? that way you could do any size and/or style you wanted?

Juvy

Buzza
19th February 2009, 10:28 PM
Try the hobby shops, they usually have a good range of those Letraset type thingies.
:2tsup:

srulik
20th February 2009, 06:46 AM
Look at the letters
on the truck
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=89565
I made it by design the letter on computer screen, with any graphic software,
Then print out and glue the paper on the timber, now just scroll out.
You cen send me the desired text and needed size, and I will send u back the printable file.

keju
21st February 2009, 08:38 AM
Why would cutting curved letters be any more difficult then straight? Either way you follow the line with the scroll saw... no difference.. at least not to me.

If you want to be on the safe side..... might be even a better look.... scroll on an extra piece of wood and then glue it on.... that way if you bugger it up you didn't bugger up the good piece for the truck.

Juvy